2014 #9 Prospect: Mike Yastrzemski - OF

Tony-OH

And age is BY FAR the most important thing. In another thread someone was comparing Dariel Alvarez' performance at Bowie (at 25) to Manny Machado's at Bowie (at 19). My guess then, and I stand by it, is that six years of age in AA is roughly the equivalent of 300 points of OPS. At least. Yaz is two years older than Manny, and a year older than Schoop. Anyone want to guess what Manny or Jonathan might have hit in Bowie this year? Or in a year or two?

This.

:agree:

How would Yastrzemski's potential compare to someone like Grady Sizemore in his prime?
It seems to me that he may be a player that surprises or defies scouting prognostications. I know it's unlikely, but I could see an upside to a Markakis type level, better defense, speed and a bit less O.
Not too be a jerk but some of these comparisons are unrelastic.

Tony mentioned he would end up being a 4th outfielder on a good team or a starter on a bad team. That sounds like someone like Alejando De Aza.

Markakiis was same age as Yaz was this past year in 2007. While Yaz was rather average in AA this year, in 2007 Markakis had a very good year for the Orioles.

Grady Sizemore in his prime was a 25 homers, 25 SBs hitter while playing a gold glove centerfield. He was also an established major league star when he was the same age as Yaz is now.

In my mind Markakis is a high end comp for Yaz. Not a most likely.

But I'm more talking about type of player instead of comparing likely performance.

To me, Yaz has a similar skill set to Markakis. Similar strengths and weaknesses. Except for arm strength ;)

Maybe the kid can just play. Baseball is in his blood, for sure.

It's funny to see people wanting to write him off because of his draft stock. If he was a #1 pick and putting up these numbers people would be wetting their pants. Instead because he was a lower round pick and not a lot was expected of him, people seem to want to try to find reasons why he won't pan out that good or whatever holes are in his game.

I've never seen him play but it seems like his coaches and others who have seen him play really like what he brings to the table. I'm not saying anyones going to confuse him with Carl, but the guy could have a nice major league career. Why not?

• Upvote 1

Who is writing him off? A realistic expectation is a 4th outfielder. He has a ceiling of being a regular player. He's already 24 years old and he has 200 AB's in AA where he produced a .723 OPS. David Lough put up an .887 OPS at age 23 in AA in about 250 AB's. Yaz looks like a nice player. No one is writing him off but there's no reason to go overboard either.

That's the truth. I think if he had to rely on his hit tool alone he'd be very lucky to get a cup of coffee in the majors someday. What gives him a shot at a more steady role is that he's got good all-around skills and instincts.

Who is writing him off? A realistic expectation is a 4th outfielder. He has a ceiling of being a regular player. He's already 24 years old and he has 200 AB's in AA where he produced a .723 OPS. David Lough put up an .887 OPS at age 23 in AA in about 250 AB's. Yaz looks like a nice player. No one is writing him off but there's no reason to go overboard either.
That's the truth. I think if he had to rely on his hit tool alone he'd be very lucky to get a cup of coffee in the majors someday. What gives him a shot at a more steady role is that he's got good all-around skills and instincts.

He is not young.

There are (were) many here that thought Reimold is (was) "young".:rolleyes:

Age is certainly important, but it can be offset a bit by a quick learning curve. He seems to be worth rooting for at least, a lot like Caleb Joseph, love of the game and works hard. No one can ask for more.

Some still think Flaherty is young.

Comparing performance at a certain age when one player is drafted at 18 out of high school and another is drafted 22 out of college is not really a fair comparison.

Yaz was drafted at 22 in June for 2013 from a major college program. He has quickly moved through the low minors. He has shown an ability to hit for a .360 OBP in the low minors. He is about to have a full season in the high minors. If he can continue to show the ability to have a high OBP along with his fundamentally sound overall play then he probably has a good shot at a major league career. But he has a lot yet to prove in the high minors. He will play most of 2015 at 24. That is not old for a college player drafted in 2013.

Comparing performance at a certain age when one player is drafted at 18 out of high school and another is drafted 22 out of college is not really a fair comparison.

Sure it is. If you're 18 when you're drafted and and you fly though the minors like Manny or Trout or Harper you're a productive major leaguer long before a college graduate. If everything goes right Yastrzemski will be in the majors at 24, more likely 25. He only has a couple years before a typical player starts to decline. It's probably not much of an over-generalization to say that a position player who plays 3-4 years in college is just not as much of a prospect as someone who's in the minors at 18 or 19. To this day, there are only a very small handful of HOFers who weren't established big league regulars by 25. Sam Rice may be the only one, at least if you exclude guys who weren't eligible for MLB service at 25 (Negro Leaguers, very early 18th century guys). It's just hard to have a long, successful career when you're not even starting until what's mid-career for most players.

Sure it is. If you're 18 when you're drafted and and you fly though the minors like Manny or Trout or Harper you're a productive major leaguer long before a college graduate. If everything goes right Yastrzemski will be in the majors at 24, more likely 25. He only has a couple years before a typical player starts to decline. It's probably not much of an over-generalization to say that a position player who plays 3-4 years in college is just not as much of a prospect as someone who's in the minors at 18 or 19. To this day, there are only a very small handful of HOFers who weren't established big league regulars by 25. Sam Rice may be the only one, at least if you exclude guys who weren't eligible for MLB service at 25 (Negro Leaguers, very early 18th century guys). It's just hard to have a long, successful career when you're not even starting until what's mid-career for most players.

There are people who want to believe in late bloomers. It is really quite rare. And with four year college position players almost never.