What is Wieters' Value After The Russell Martin Deal?

TonySoprano

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Especially considering the Lind, Cabrera, Morrow, and Rasmus money they saved.

Here's a direct link. Here is why they backloaded the deal.

It is worth noting that Toronto likely feels comfortable pushing cash into the 2016-19 segments of the contract because, as is apparent from my recent post regarding future obligations, the team had very little on the books after this year.
The deal is backloaded so that Martin will earn just $7 million in 2015, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported Tuesday. The Canadian backstop will then earn $15 million in 2016 and $20 million per season from 2017-19.
source - sportsnet.ca

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion, Wieters falls between Montero and Molina. 5/75 would be my high point. If he shows he can still throw. Unfortunately, Toronto overpaid to bring a Canadian back home. That hurts the O's when it comes to Wieters.

I hope the Orioles really do extend Wieters. Give him 5 years and anywhere between $75-90MM would be about right.

How many players have we actually signed extensions with... Jones, Hardy, and ????.. Start locking up some of these guys for the long term future.

I hope the Orioles really do extend Wieters. Give him 5 years and anywhere between $75-90MM would be about right.

How many players have we actually signed extensions with... Jones, Hardy, and ????.. Start locking up some of these guys for the long term future.

Markakis and Roberts.

And I agree. I hope they do to. Especially now that Davis has eliminated himself with the Orioles. Buck obviously values Wieters. I sent him ahead to scout teams. And Matt showed alot by staying with the team throughout the year. He could have sat at home.

And I agree. I hope they do to. Especially now that Davis has eliminated himself with the Orioles. Buck obviously values Wieters. I sent him ahead to scout teams. And Matt showed alot by staying with the team throughout the year. He could have sat at home.

Should be "He"

If Wieters has a .260/.330/.450 type of season, and assuming that he's lost nothing in his arm/defense, he will be looking at a 6 or 7 year deal. He's 3 years younger than Martin, who just received a 5 year deal.

I don't see the O's giving Wieters any more than a 4-year offer.

If Wieters has a .260/.330/.450 type of season, and assuming that he's lost nothing in his arm/defense, he will be looking at a 6 or 7 year deal. He's 3 years younger than Martin, who just received a 5 year deal.

I don't see the O's giving Wieters any more than a 4-year offer.

He can look, but no way does a team give him 7 years unless the team gets an out clause like the players all want now.

But when he is a free agent, he'll only be two years younger than Martin is now, not three.

I agree Wieters will be looking to get a 6-7 year deal, and at his age, he might be able to get that, even if he doesn't receive an AAV higher than Martin and McCann.

I am still hopeful of the O's and Boras getting together when they are scheduled to exchange arbitration figures and working out a one-year extension for Wieters so 2015 will be his recovery year and 2016 his opportunity to prove he is Superman. I don't like the idea of him having to prove himself for his FA contract while he's recovering.

I am still hopeful of the O's and Boras getting together when they are scheduled to exchange arbitration figures and working out a one-year extension for Wieters so 2015 will be his recovery year and 2016 his opportunity to prove he is Superman. I don't like the idea of him having to prove himself for his FA contract while he's recovering.

No. Scott does not want that. Now if Matt decided to change representation? Sure.

B21EzPYIQAEyUPd.jpg

Archived