Nick Swisher for Ubaldo Jimenez ?

AlbionHero

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/indians-exploring-nick-swisher-trades.html

Would you do it? There were rumors earlier this offseason the Indians were considering Ubaldo.

Actually, if you read carefully, the article was about possible trades involving Swisher. In the process, Rosenthal is listing examples of over-inflated contracts. Ubaldo was listed as 1 example and Nick Swisher was listed as another. Several others were also listed. I couldn't find any talk in the article of any concrete talk of making a Swisher for Ubaldo trade.

I wouldn't make this trade. Ubaldo showed some signs of improvement after being moved to the bullpen. If necessary, Ubaldo could start the 2015 season in the pen.

Ubaldo earned lots of fan points for how he handled being demoted and to the bullpen and not being on the playoff roster. Not a public complaint and apparently not in the clubhouse either. Very positive character.

He was real good in his final two starts. Very nice velocity too.

Ubaldo earned lots of fan points for how he handled being demoted and to the bullpen and not being on the playoff roster. Not a public complaint and apparently not in the clubhouse either. Very positive character.
Another reason for keeping our guy, Ubaldo. Plus the work he put in to fix his mechanics and improve his performance. :)

Ubaldo will be 31 next season, while Swisher will be 34. I think Ubaldo has a better chance of bouncing back. I really hadn't realized how bad Swisher was in 2014 until I looked at his stats just now.

I don't hate the idea as much as most in this thread but I think you summarized it quite well with this post. Agreed.

A true story about our guy Ubaldo. I was at the division-clinching game. After having been shellacked in a bullpen appearance, Buck decided to give him a spot start; this was because a rainout had disrupted the starting rotation's order. At any rate, Ubaldo started pitching. During the first two innings, he was walking batters, giving up doubles and RBIs. During the 2nd inning, the boos started raining down on him and McFarland was warming up in the bullpen. Ubaldo could have just shriveled up and given up at that point, but he didn't. Instead, he got out of the 2nd, came back out in the 3rd. Perhaps he remembered what he had worked on during bullpen workouts with Chiti and Wallace. At any rate, Ubaldo proceeded to turn those balls into strikes, turn the walks into strikeouts, turn the doubles into fly and ground outs. And the boos turned into wild cheering. His pitch count was limited, but ended up as the winning pitcher. I was very happy for him, and so were most of the Os fans around me, and Buck as well.

Yeah, it's fun to see our mighty offense hit homers and RBIs (which they certainly did that night). I love watching Nelson Cruz walking up to the plate and belting one, which is expected of him. But what I truly love to see is a successful turnaround by a struggling player. It was awesome. :clap3: :thumbsup1:

Dan Duquette's best quip as a GM was in response to being asked about pursuing Nick Swisher before he signed with Cleveland:

Somebody said that Nick Swisher is the kind of player you hate when he’s on the other team, and when they said it, I didn’t say anything.

That's as clear of a rejection of a rumor you'll ever hear from Dan.

Even though we both know Swisher is done?

Let's see, One guy is a great teammate who has shown evidence of working through a mechanical flaw. The other is a despised teammate who has fallen off the mid thirties cliff that looms for the post PED era hitters.

No way to become a crafty low bat speed hitter.

How do you "know" he's done?

Swisher has only had 2 seasons in his entire career when he's been below-average (offensively). Meanwhile, outside of one half-season, Ubaldo has been average - below-average every year since 2010. While I wouldn't expect Swisher to come in here and hit .300 w/ 30 HR and 100 RBI, I don't see why he wouldn't be closer to his career norm's. Not that his production is even the point of this discussion.

The entire point of a deal like this would be to free up a rotation spot and trading 3 years of Ubaldo's bad contract for 2 years of Swisher's bad contract. If Swisher is productive in those 2 years, that's just a bonus.

Ubaldo hasn't had back-to-back successful years since '09 - '10. You'd seriously pass up having a (potentially) productive player, keep that extra year of a bad contract and let a non-productive player eat up a rotation spot for the next 3 years ... all because Ubaldo is a "nicer guy"?? :confused:

How do you "know" he's done?

Swisher has only had 2 seasons in his entire career when he's been below-average (offensively). Meanwhile, outside of one half-season, Ubaldo has been average - below-average every year since 2010. While I wouldn't expect Swisher to come in here and hit .300 w/ 30 HR and 100 RBI, I don't see why he wouldn't be closer to his career norm's. Not that his production is even the point of this discussion.

The entire point of a deal like this would be to free up a rotation spot and trading 3 years of Ubaldo's bad contract for 2 years of Swisher's bad contract. If Swisher is productive in those 2 years, that's just a bonus.

Ubaldo hasn't had back-to-back successful years since '09 - '10. You'd seriously pass up having a (potentially) productive player, keep that extra year of a bad contract and let a non-productive player eat up a rotation spot for the next 3 years ... all because Ubaldo is a "nicer guy"?? :confused:

Swisher's done and he would clog the roster spot. Not Ubaldo. Ubaldo will have two good years for us. Ubaldo is fine compared to Swisher.

Even though we both know Swisher is done?

Let's see, One guy is a great teammate who has shown evidence of working through a mechanical flaw. The other is a despised teammate who has fallen off the mid thirties cliff that looms for the post PED era hitters.

No way to become a crafty low bat speed hitter.

Even putting all that aside, if we can unload Ubaldo we want a pitcher back. Not hitter for pitcher. (Unless they're prospects.) Pitching pitching pitching.

Archived