The Orioles have signed RHP Oliver Drake to a major league contract.

Greg

I have always liked this guy... I remember posting about him on the Sun board back when it was free. Wish him the best of luck this season and maybe he takes the role of Gausman in the pen if Kevin goes to the rotation.

The sun articles are free if you stop it from loading completely [emoji6]

I didn't expect Drake to be added because of his age but I am happy for him. The O's must think a lot of him.

Drake was first added to the O's 40 man roster on Nov 18th 2011. He was outrighted off the 40 man roster on Nov 12th 2012 because of an injury.

Looks like he has a couple of options left.

o

This is a thread and a write-up on Drake that TONY-OH wrote in November of 2013:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/137591-2013-23-prospect-Oliver-Drake-RHP?highlight=Oliver+Drake

CHARM CITY HOKIE started this thread (along with an accompanying article from fangraphs) on Drake's background in February of 2014:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/138983-Oliver-Drake-Background?highlight=Oliver+Drake

This is a plea from B PILKTREE, asking why the Orioles continued to keep Drake at the AA-level (a level at which he pitched very well in limited action for 3 consecutive years), and not at least promote him to the AAA level from July of 2014:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/142564-Oliver-Drake-what-in-the-world-are-they-doing-with-him?highlight=Oliver+Drake

Enjoy (if you care to look back.) :)

That likely had nothing to do with it. There were plenty of open spots

The 40 man roster is filling up.

They are at 34 with Drake. That is without Davis who is on the restricted list.

If the sign Markakis and Cruz that's 36.

Add Wright, Wilson and Bridwell they are at 39.

A Rule 5 guy makes them at 40.

There doesn't not look like there is room for Givens who Melewski thought might make the roster.

There doesn't not look like there is room for Givens who Melewski thought might make the roster.

You are right, there are not as many roster spots as it initially appears. However, I don't think Givens has a chance at all. I know Buck likes him but this is a guys who has less than 30 IP above single-A ball in his career. At Bowie, his WHIP was 1.658, and he walked over 8/9IP. I just can't see how he's possibly ready at all.

I like the inclusion of Drake on the 40-man roster. I hope he can get some quality experience at AAA and put up similar numbers to what he did this past year at Bowie. Maybe he could be a viable bullpen option later on in the season.

He could be on the Norfolk-Baltimore shuttle this coming season.

I doubt they add Givens or Bridwell. But McCoy and Paredes could both easily come off the roster if need be.

And if they sign Markakis and Cruz, then De Aza is gone.

I like signing Drake and I hope they give the same kind of deal to Eddie Gamboa.

Archived