Caleb Joseph: just a backup, or plausible future starter?

Frobby

What are you talking about putting him down? And I've watched him play many games, not that that matters. He may have been one of the better catchers in the AA Eastern League a few years, but he was also much older than a typical AA prospect.

I think you might want to correlation between age and minor league progression. If a 27-year-old isn't hitting very well in AA he's not a major league player at all. An .840 OPS at Bowie in your mid-to-late 20s isn't impressive.

What about age correlation for position? Many catchers develop late. As far as putting him down, you have wrote numerous posts since Caleb's been up, about why he shouldn't be here, yet he has been one of the better backup catchers the Orioles have had in years.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump from November....Joseph continues to impress. One of the best breaks the Orioles have gotten in the last two years. Increasingly I feel he's a solid major league starter.

I have noticed that it seems like some of the better catchers in the majors were not very highly regarded as prospects.

Hit well last night, I'll give you that. He also failed to throw anyone out(thought the throws were good) and passed two balls badly. I'm not looking only at the bad, but I think the Orioles need some catching reinforcement.He could tire or get injured. He seemed to tire in the stretch last year. Ryan Lavarnway is going to be waived in about two weeks.

Wieters is coming back :beerchug1:

I am a big fan of Caleb Joseph. Buck clearly believes in him (Lavarnway does not even play 100% of day games). Joseph's CS% is down, but that has not translated into more steals (15 SBs allowed in 32 games, 7th best out of full time catchers). That tells me they are running less because they respect his arm.

As for last night, you cannot hold those SBs against him, at least the ones that I saw (I missed the last one). Gordon is one of the best base stealers on base, and Ubaldo has horrible time-to-plate. The bases were stolen off of the pitcher, not the catcher.

I read that Clevenger is getting stronger reviews for his defense if Joseph struggles.

Next years FA catchers, If Wieters can have a decent second half he'll get paid. Anybody here we like to pair with Caleb?

Alex Avila (29)

Chris Iannetta (33)

John Jaso (32)

George Kottaras (32)

Jose Molina (41)

Dioner Navarro (32)

Brayan Pena (34)

A.J. Pierzynski (39)

Matt Wieters (30) .

Next years FA catchers, If Wieters can have a decent second half he'll get paid. Anybody here we like to pair with Caleb?

Alex Avila (29)

Chris Iannetta (33)

John Jaso (32)

George Kottaras (32)

Jose Molina (41)

Dioner Navarro (32)

Brayan Pena (34)

A.J. Pierzynski (39)

Matt Wieters (30) .

Is there a reason Molina is bolded?

Alex Avila (29)

Chris Iannetta (33)

John Jaso (32)

George Kottaras (32)

Jose Molina (41)

Dioner Navarro (32)

Brayan Pena (34)

A.J. Pierzynski (39)

Matt Wieters (30) .

There are always catchers available via trade, too.

Archived