You know what's maddening? The sound of crickets.

DrLev

One of the most annoying things here is that when all is said and done with the Bedard situation (fiasco?), we're not likely to get any sort of explanation from the team about what the heck took so long. Though I know they obviously don't by any means have to, I think it would be a good PR move by the organization to clarify the entire situation to the fans and media. It would definitely symbolize some sort of transparency and a commitment to fans, both die-hard and casual, that people who have devoted considerable time, money, and emotion to the team are both recognized and appreciated.

Unfortunately, the O's front office is just as likely to do this as to refund season ticket holders for 10 years of shoddy baseball and the heartache that ensues. This is endemic to this organization, from the top on down. There's a basic lack of communication and a lack of effort to reach out to the fans and the community at large. Even ESPN recognizes the O's fanbase to be both rabid and a sleeping giant. How about a little effort to wake it up once in a while?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, doc. (I'll assume you're a doctor from your handle). If you buy a new piece of equipment, do you owe your patients an explanation for how long the negotiations took? If you redecorate your office, are you obligated to explain how a particular piece of furniture came to be included? You treat patients during office hours to the best of your ability. If they're not happy, they go elsewhere. It's called a business. MLB is a business. No more, no less.

Show up on Opening Day to watch the major leaguers lace -em up, or don't. Post all you want on OH, complain, praise, wring your hands, whatever you want to do. But don't claim anyone owes you or "the fans" anything other than 9 innings (give or take) of mlb for your $27.

We can wax nostalgic about wobegone days all we like. There is no public trust. The Orioles don't "belong" to the city, or to their fans/customers any more than T. Rowe Price does. (I seriously doubt I'm the first to posit this in one of the 287 Bedard trade threads, or that I can even sniff the majority of this board from my position, but c'est la vie). Losing sucks, but I know where I'll be in 46 days, regardless of any press releases or lack thereof.

not really, we're just spoiled by 2nd and 3rd hand information on this board. rarely will a front office of any sport explain their internal soap operas to the public, this is no different.

I'd agree with you if I haven't talked about how frustrating this is to people that have no idea o's hangout exists.

Its not just a collective group of people that read blogs that are frustrated. Its even casual Oriole fans.

Baloney. The FO doesn't owe us anything. 10 years ago we all would have been refreshing our browsers on our 28K modems for coverage, waiting for the morning Sun paper with great anticipation for any news. In the meantime, the FO could do their jobs without 500+ message board posters criticizing every word that came out of their mouths.

The internets have us all spoiled.

OK, doc. (I'll assume you're a doctor from your handle). If you buy a new piece of equipment, do you owe your patients an explanation for how long the negotiations took? If you redecorate your office, are you obligated to explain how a particular piece of furniture came to be included? You treat patients during office hours to the best of your ability. If they're not happy, they go elsewhere. It's called a business. MLB is a business. No more, no less.

Show up on Opening Day to watch the major leaguers lace -em up, or don't. Post all you want on OH, complain, praise, wring your hands, whatever you want to do. But don't claim anyone owes you or "the fans" anything other than 9 innings (give or take) of mlb for your $27.

We can wax nostalgic about wobegone days all we like. There is no public trust. The Orioles don't "belong" to the city, or to their fans/customers any more than T. Rowe Price does. (I seriously doubt I'm the first to posit this in one of the 287 Bedard trade threads, or that I can even sniff the majority of this board from my position, but c'est la vie). Losing sucks, but I know where I'll be in 46 days, regardless of any press releases or lack thereof.

I'm sitting at a restaurant waiting for a date who's late by 30 minutes.

She arrives and says "I'm sorry," without delving into things further.

Do I want more of an explanation as to why she's so late?

Two can play the example game.

No, it's not required, but it'd be nice.

Doctor-in-training, for what it's worth. There's a problem with your argument. My or any other putative medical practice is in no way, shape, or form comparable to a baseball organization. Major league teams are a business, but they and all other teams in all other sports are in a special class of their own. I feel they have an additional public burden that most business entities do not. As I said, they're under no overt obligation to explain the situation, but it would be in their best interest to do so. People want to know why the guy who is supposed to play CF for their team took so darn long to show up. No one gives a damn where I get the chairs in my waiting room from, but I assure you that if they want to know, I'll tell them, even if I got a bad deal on the upholstery.

Darn tootin'. I'm posting my opinion on the OH. I'm sorry if you have problem with my opinion, but frankly, that's just what it is. An opinion. There are few "wrong" opinions in the world. This isn't one of them and nor is yours. I just think the team ought to explain itself.

I'd argue that the Orioles "belong" to Baltimore in a much greater way than T. Rowe Price. Who puts butts in the seats? Largely Baltimoreans and Marylanders as a whole (except when the Yankees or Red Sox roll into town). As I said, sports teams are a special case independent of conventional corporate entities.

As Moose says, it's not required, but it'd be a nice gesture.

Come on now... at least give us a realistic example ;)

Apples and oranges. Medicine is not an entertainment industry. If you're sick and you have to use the Z-ray machine, you don't care how much it cost (the insurance company is paying for it anyway), and you don't have a choice if you'll die if you don't have it.

Baseball is not medicine. I can spend my money on Ravens tickets (see my handle), or Loyola Greyhound basketball tickets, or my bike, or any other entertainment activity. It's just not the same.

It's a PR business and the public is pissed and the relations are poor.

Doctor-in-training, for what it's worth. There's a problem with your argument. My or any other putative medical practice is in no way, shape, or form comparable to a baseball organization. Major league teams are a business, but they and all other teams in all other sports are in a special class of their own. I feel they have an additional public burden that most business entities do not. As I said, they're under no overt obligation to explain the situation, but it would be in their best interest to do so. People want to know why the guy who is supposed to play CF for their team took so darn long to show up. No one gives a damn where I get the chairs in my waiting room from, but I assure you that if they want to know, I'll tell them, even if I got a bad deal on the upholstery.

Darn tootin'. I'm posting my opinion on the OH. I'm sorry if you have problem with my opinion, but frankly, that's just what it is. An opinion. There are few "wrong" opinions in the world. This isn't one of them and nor is yours. I just think the team ought to explain itself.

I'd argue that the Orioles "belong" to Baltimore in a much greater way than T. Rowe Price. Who puts butts in the seats? Largely Baltimoreans and Marylanders as a whole (except when the Yankees or Red Sox roll into town). As I said, sports teams are a special case independent of conventional corporate entities.

As Moose says, it's not required, but it'd be a nice gesture.

If it's not requred then they don't owe it to you.

Speaking of doctors, if the hold-up has been to examine a medical issue involving Jones (which I personally believe is the case), the O's and M's probably can't discuss that in public. Which explains the lack of information.

Bottom line: if the deal gets done, I'm not going to worry about this any more. On to the next issue.

Good analogy. If AM is late getting the team to your date on OD, then I think you have an excellent case.

But this situation is like expecting your date to tell you everything she's doing to get ready for the date during the *weeks before* you actually have the date. And, because she's not telling you every little thing she's up to every minute, including who else she's talking with on her phone, you're sneaking around, trying to get news about all her various activities from her coworkers and neighbors. That's the kind of attitude and behavior that can lead to women getting a restraining order against wacko freaks like you! ;-)

Archived