You know what's maddening? The sound of crickets.

DrLev

OK, but look... we're NOT NORMAL! We're reading stuff here, looking for big hints and updates every dang day. So, first off, I think we gotta back up just a step or two and at least *pretend* that we're not message-board dorks ;-)

Then, after we do that, then let's think about exactly what the hell you want him to do. What should he have said? We can't even say that yet, because we don't know what the truth really is. So, let's pretend. Let's pretend it's about Secret Issue X. What would like him to have said about Secret Issue X. If you agree that he shouldn't spill the beans before it's done, what would you want him to say?

I know we're not normal, but I'd like to be. As soon as El Gordo gets back to me on how to be normal, I'll fill you in and we can go be normal fans together. Cool? ;)

What should he have said where? When asked about the trade talks, I think he handled it well. I wouldn't want to play poker with the man, thats for sure.

After the trade goes down, I think it'd be NICE (let's not get that confused with "I'm expecting") to get an explanation of what took so long.

Even if I'm not a message board dork, I can read espn.com and the Sun's site and know that something is taking a hell of a long time with this trade and might like to know why.

And who knows? I might even become a message board dork to find out why ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing wrong with the FO coming out and admitting that they have an agreement in principle here. This happens all the time with Free Agent stuff, where they announce that Player X has signed a 4 year, 49 mil deal pending a physical.

And if we are only 10 percent of the fan base here, so be it. The majority of the others will only come around and give a casual glance at O's news when they start winning.

Honestly, this thing is just about at circus or zoo level, because AM still says things like "We are still talking to other clubs" after everyone and their brother knows about this deal on the internet for over 48 hours.

There's no need for the FO to be so cryptic and cold about everything...especially when the cat is SO far out of the bag.

Dude, I'm not being disingenuous. I am that stupid.

You should bother to explain yourself to me because if you can make such a claim as to knowing what the average fan consists of, you should be able to explain it clearly and concisely without hesitation or much thought.

As far as your question, if the OH represents less than 10 percent of all O's fans, I'd consider this board a contingent of all O's fans.

If the other 90% doesn't actively participate in the board, I can't tell you why. Maybe some of them don't like message boards, maybe some of them don't have internet access or maybe some of them just plain don't know about the site.

Either way, you've labeled me as someone who's not in anyway as a representative of the fan base. But I'd really like to be an representative of the fan base...

...so if you could please tell me how to be an average fan, I'd greatly appreciate it. All I want to do is be average.

Whoa, easy there... all you want is to be average??? Why???

Average means you watch the games on TV not at the park, average means you might be able to name all 5 starters, average means you know the rules and enjoy a good game but you can sleep at night after a loss, average means you check the scores everyday when their winning and once a week when they're losing, average means you might know if the team is home or away tonight but probably not, average means you're sure you know who they're playing tonight and you're sometimes right, average means you can't pronounce the name of the guy you picked up in the off season correctly, average means at some point during the game you're more excited about the beer than the score, average means...

who wants that?!

That's no way to live - here's to knowing the 25 man roster, the 40 man roster, that stats of each player, their scouting report, the current standings, the scores of the other teams in the division and things that have to go wrong for you to catch them, here's to downloading widgets and gadgets to keep track of stats and schedules, here's to long weekends at the ballpark, an extra hotdog in the seventh, and long slow walks to the car when things don't go your way!

I want anything but to be an average fanatic...(isn't that ironic)

Whoa' date=' easy there... all you want is to be average??? Why???

Average means you watch the games on TV not at the park, average means you might be able to name all 5 starters, average means you know the rules and enjoy a good game but you can sleep at night after a loss, average means you check the scores everyday when their winning and once a week when they're losing, average means you might know if the team is home or away tonight but probably not, average means you're sure you know who they're playing tonight and you're sometimes right, average means you can't pronounce the name of the guy you picked up in the off season correctly, average means at some point during the game you're more excited about the beer than the score, average means...

who wants that?!

That's no way to live - here's to knowing the 25 man roster, the 40 man roster, that stats of each player, their scouting report, the current standings, the scores of the other teams in the division and things that have to go wrong for you to catch them, here's to downloading widgets and gadgets to keep track of stats and schedules, here's to long weekends at the ballpark, an extra hotdog in the seventh, and long slow walks to the car when things don't go your way!

I want anything but to be an average fanatic...(isn't that ironic)[/quote']

Great Post

There's nothing wrong with the FO coming out and admitting that they have an agreement in principle here. This happens all the time with Free Agent stuff, where they announce that Player X has signed a 4 year, 49 mil deal pending a physical.

And if we are only 10 percent of the fan base here, so be it. The majority of the others will only come around and give a casual glance at O's news when they start winning.

Honestly, this thing is just about at circus or zoo level, because AM still says things like "We are still talking to other clubs" after everyone and their brother knows about this deal on the internet for over 48 hours.

There's no need for the FO to be so cryptic and cold about everything...especially when the cat is SO far out of the bag.

The reason why the FO isn't talking is because they have made a legal issue out of leaking info about the trade before it is completed. No one will say anything until it is finally completed. It is not about placating internet junkies, it is about avoiding litigation.

They did. That's why we keep hearing people talk about how they've agreed to a "framework" for a deal. How many times did you ever hear anybody talk about a trade and use the phrase "agreed to a framework" before? I never heard that before this, did you? That sounds like an AM phrase to me.

And I bet it actually means something. I bet it means that he and Bavasi agreed about some things but not yet about all the details of it (like maybe who the minor players are who are coming back). We don't know, but that's what it sounds like to me. Now, if that's true, then wouldn't the leaked phrase be the actual truth?

The reason why the FO isn't talking is because they have made a legal issue out of leaking info about the trade before it is completed. No one will say anything until it is finally completed. It is not about placating internet junkies, it is about avoiding litigation.

Weak sauce. If that were true, then Adam Jones would be in harms way here. Plus, do you really think anyone would challenge this club, with our owner on a litigation suit?

Whoa' date=' easy there... all you want is to be average??? Why???

who wants that?!

I want anything but to be an average fanatic...(isn't that ironic)[/quote']

I was being a smartass back there. Welcome to the OH ;)

I'm glad you could fill me in on who the average fan is, though. El Gordo couldn't.

If the FO for either club doesn't have all the detail worked out at this point, then we have a bigger issue to discuss here. You make a good point, but I still think they could be more open about the hangups here. Its not national security.

OK, but look... we're NOT NORMAL! We're reading stuff here, looking for big hints and updates every dang day. So, first off, I think we gotta back up just a step or two and at least *pretend* that we're not message-board dorks ;-)

Then, after we do that, then let's think about exactly what the hell you want him to do. What should he have said? We can't even say that yet, because we don't know what the truth really is. So, let's pretend. Let's pretend it's about "Secret Issue X". What would like him to have said about "Secret Issue X". If you agree that he shouldn't spill the beans before it's done, what would you want him to say?

Why do you think only "message-board dorks" have been following this ordeal on a daily basis? I'm sure there are a lot of people that read the articles in the Sun, read Roch's Blog, etc...watch ESPN...listen to the radio...whatever. You don't think there are plenty of people who read/listen to all of that, and are muttering WTF to themselves? Just because they don't post on a message board for hours on end doesn't mean they haven't been following this closely.

Weak sauce. If that were true, then Adam Jones would be in harms way here. Plus, do you really think anyone would challenge this club, with our owner on a litigation suit?
Have you been paying attention? After Jones talked to the press, PA went after the M's to get a clarification of the trade paramaeters in writing bcause he was worried about the public discloser before the trade was completed. After that nobody said anything. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

I'm just drawing from my own experience here. I deal with the media all the time at my job, and its about life or death situations. We give them as much info as possible, up to and including names of people in peril. It creates a positive view of what you are doing with the public, which helps a great deal in other situations.

Have you been paying attention? After Jones talked to the press, PA went after the M's to get a clarification of the trade paramaeters in writing bcause he was worried about the public discloser before the trade was completed. After that nobody said anything. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

But what litigation would ever get filied against the M's? Seriously...they might have pulled out of the deal out of spite, but it doesn't change anything by admitted what's going on. Its not like a tampering situation here.

Clearly he hasn't been paying attention. Maybe he's a representative of the O's fanbase.

I was being a smartass back there. Welcome to the OH ;)

I'm glad you could fill me in on who the average fan is, though. El Gordo couldn't.

By all means let me rectify that. Google Yung's theory of the shadow. The average O's fan would be your shadow. That is, what you are consciously not.:D

Archived