Torii Hunter a back-burner option (Signs w/Twins)

Greg

1. Yeah, guys just doesn't drop 35 runs in 2 years by age without other factors besides just age (i.e injuries). Hunter has historically been a very well conditioned athlete, so if it is injury related (which I suspect it may be) it may be mitigated in the future.

2. Hunter started playing RF full time in 2011. He was a plus fielder in 2011 and 2012. Well above average by DRS. His defense in CF going back to 2004 matters little and while I think TH was overrated defensively, he was certainly above average at the position and well above average in his prime. There is a difference between defense in CF and defense in RF.

3. Which is why you shouldn't take a minus 19 as an absolute while ignoring the +9 and +16 from a couple years ago. Defense can take pretty huge hit from injuries while offense is less affected.

4. That may be, but assuming 2 years of age is the only factor that causes i guy to drop 35 runs in defensive metrics is fairly ridiculous imo. Hunter may have injury issues related to age which may be mitigated in the future by recovery, better conditioning, and/or rest/platooning. For a "geriatric" his offensive skills were still very solid.

5. I am neither. Just not locked into the myopic view that a 35 run drop off in his fielding metrics is solely due to 1-2 years in age and that Hunter is destined to be a -19/-20 run defender (worse by your assumption of the age distribution curve) in RF going forward, because you know he's 38/39/40 or whatever number you're at now.

Feel free to have the last word.

He could've put up +16 last year and I still wouldn't bet on him being good this year.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From MLBTR

The Rangers are one of four teams outfielder Torii Hunter is considering, reports Gerry Fraley of the the Dallas Morning News. The Orioles and Mariners are also at the top of Hunter?s list with the Twins a less likely landing spot. Mark Whicker of the L.A. Daily News was the first to tweet the news.

I'd guess you'd be pretty happy with .280 and 18 homers? It would also slightly improve the teams OBP. At 39 I can't believe we'd be interested in any more than 1 year ?

From MLBTR

I'd guess you'd be pretty happy with .280 and 18 homers? It would also slightly improve the teams OBP. At 39 I can't believe we'd be interested in any more than 1 year ?

Depends. Is he replacing Nick or Cruz? If he's the big offseason move, then no I won't be happy.

I think he'd be replacing Nick. Cruz, if he doesn't sign with SEA will probably sign with us. If we were to keep Cruz and sign Hunter for 1 year I'd be fine with that. There are plenty of options to Nick in RF that would be just as good if not better and cheaper. Cruz is the issue. We need his bat or some one to replace his production, in addition to whatever we get from Davis, Manny, and Matt.

I think he'd be replacing Nick. Cruz, if he doesn't sign with SEA will probably sign with us. If we were to keep Cruz and sign Hunter for 1 year I'd be fine with that. There are plenty of options to Nick in RF that would be just as good if not better and cheaper. Cruz is the issue. We need his bat or some one to replace his production, in addition to whatever we get from Davis, Manny, and Matt.

I agree. If Hunter is replacing Nick then im fine with that. If we sign Cruz im fine with a De Aza/Pearce platoon in LF.

You joke but the stupid Mets gave Bartolo Colon a 2-year deal...

But that was the Mets....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only joking a little bit. I really don't want to see Torii Hunter in an Orioles uniform. Over $10 million even for a single would be lunacy IMO.

I'm okay with Hunter in RF for 1 or 2 years. He is a solid defensive outfielder that makes plays I don't think Nick would make. I still want to see a Kemp trade with the Dodgers and he played equally in LF and in RF last season. He can play any of the OF positions if needed. I think the team and AJ would benefit from playing with Hunter and Kemp. Both are good hitters and don't go for HR's every time up. I think they will trade Davis so Pearce will play a lot at 1B. I also think Cruz will sign probably this week. It's interesting to note when Hunter was asked who he is talking to he mentioned the Orioles first. Something could be happening soon with the meetings starting Sunday.

I agree. If Hunter is replacing Nick then im fine with that. If we sign Cruz im fine with a De Aza/Pearce platoon in LF.

I would think that Cruz would get some playing time in LF, especially if we are paying him $15MM/year. I don't approve of it but I think that would happen more often than we would like.

IMO I would rather get shorter term deals with both Cruz and Markakis, if we have to offer 4 years to both I would just walk away... actually no I would run away.

I'm okay with Hunter in RF for 1 or 2 years. He is a solid defensive outfielder that makes plays I don't think Nick would make.

I think you're confusing present-day Torii Hunter with young Torii Hunter. By all accounts, Hunter has been a brutally bad defensive outfielder the last couple of years. In his two years with the Tigers, he had -28 Defensive Runs Saved as a right fielder. Yes, that's a negative 28.

In 2014 Hunter had a -18 DRS and a -18.3 UZR. By comparison, Markakis had 1 DRS and a 6.2 UZR. Markakis may not be anything special defensively, but he was lights year better than Hunter.

I think you're confusing present-day Torii Hunter with young Torii Hunter. By all accounts, Hunter has been a brutally bad defensive outfielder the last couple of years. In his two years with the Tigers, he had -28 Defensive Runs Saved as a right fielder. Yes, that's a negative 28.

In 2014 Hunter had a -18 DRS and a -18.3 UZR. By comparison, Markakis had 1 DRS and a 6.2 UZR. Markakis may not be anything special defensively, but he was lights year better than Hunter.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread.

Hunter should be a back burner option the way a can of sterno is for cooking dinner if you stove, grill, foreman grill, waffle iron and hibachi pit all break down. The guy is a defensive liability and offensively he does not bring all that much to the table.

As I have stated I am not the biggest Rah Rah guy for Lough but I would much rather see Lough, De Aza and Pearce fill LF and RF than trot out a guy who should retire IMO

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread.

Hunter should be a back burner option the way a can of sterno is for cooking dinner if you stove, grill, foreman grill, waffle iron and hibachi pit all break down. The guy is a defensive liability and offensively he does not bring all that much to the table.

As I have stated I am not the biggest Rah Rah guy for Lough but I would much rather see Lough, De Aza and Pearce fill LF and RF than trot out a guy who should retire IMO

I am all for this option as well. I believe a Lough/Pearce platoon would be just as productive as anyone currently available that would fit into the Orioles' budget.

Archived