Uva

Pushmonkey

Lots of teams have players leave. UNC had an entire roster leave after their championship year. And, 2 years later, they are back in the top 5. Md has 1 PF leave early, and they completely collapse.

The collapse is not due to Wilcox leaving at all. Its been the piss-poor performance of this year and last year's senior classes that really was the major setback.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The collapse is not due to Wilcox leaving at all. Its been the piss-poor performance of this year and last year's senior classes that really was the major setback.

And that performance can be due to the piss poor recruiting job of those 2 classes. And, there really hasn't been any great talent added in the last 2 years to help out. It's just one mediocre class after the next in Terp-ville. I wasn't blaming the collapse on Wilcox, I was merely commenting on another post that seemed to be hinting at that.

Lots of teams have players leave. UNC had an entire roster leave after their championship year. And, 2 years later, they are back in the top 5. Md has 1 PF leave early, and they completely collapse.

That's why it isn't about one player; it's about four: Gilchrist, Garrison, Ibekwe, Jones.

Those players not developing to where they were expected have the problem.

Talent alone means little. UConn last year was far and away the most talented, and that's how they won their games: by having a lot of great individual talents. But if a team came along and flicked them on the ear slightly, they collapsed like they were kicked in the Huskies with a steel-toed boot.

You need players that will show a willingness to get better, not athletes who won't develop.

No it should not be that way. I was pointing out what actually happened. The Gilcrist teams with Wilcox would have been pretty darn good, IMO. Which probably helps recruiting some. The truth is the staff has not signed a banger type in 5 years. Which is odd in that Gary's system really needs that type of player.

BTW I would hardly call the past few seasons a total collapse. They have been one of the top 40-45 teams in the country at worst the past couple of seasons. Of course that is not and should not be acceptable for a program like MD.

And that performance can be due to the piss poor recruiting job of those 2 classes. And, there really hasn't been any great talent added in the last 2 years to help out. It's just one mediocre class after the next in Terp-ville. I wasn't blaming the collapse on Wilcox, I was merely commenting on another post that seemed to be hinting at that.

Those two recruiting classes were each top-10 in the country, it wasn't that the classes were bad, its just that they never developed.

And after spending 10 scholarships in 2 years, its hard to revamp the system. He basically committed the next 4 years of the program to those 10 players, and they punted it.

No it should not be that way. I was pointing out what actually happened. The Gilcrist teams with Wilcox would have been pretty darn good, IMO. Which probably helps recruiting some. The truth is the staff has not signed a banger type in 5 years. Which is odd in that Gary's system really needs that type of player.

That isn't really true: we recruited four.

Hassan Fofana: Transferred for lack of PT

Will Bowers: Hasn't been great, but has been decent off the bench for a slow, uncoordinated big guy.

Ekene Ibekwe: Athlete projected to fill out, but didn't as much as was needed.

Travis Garrison: Grrrrrrrrrrr...

The problem is, none ended up being what we needed. If one of those four turns into, not even Lonny Baxter, but Obena Ekizie, we are better off then right now.

Will Bowers: Hasn't been great, but has been decent off the bench for a slow, uncoordinated big guy.

The problem is, none ended up being what we needed. If one of those four turns into, not even Lonny Baxter, but Obena Ekizie, we are better off then right now.

Huh??? Bowers is god awful, plain and simple

I had honestly forgotten Fofana he appeared the most likely to be a banger. Garrison, I don't even want to start, has anyone done so little with so much?

That's why it isn't about one player; it's about four: Gilchrist, Garrison, Ibekwe, Jones.

Those players not developing to where they were expected have the problem.

Talent alone means little. UConn last year was far and away the most talented, and that's how they won their games: by having a lot of great individual talents. But if a team came along and flicked them on the ear slightly, they collapsed like they were kicked in the Huskies with a steel-toed boot.

You need players that will show a willingness to get better, not athletes who won't develop.

And, who usually takes the blame when none of the talent develops like it's expected?

I'm guessing you would blame the same guy that developed lesser talent into better players for fifteen years previous at Maryland and about as long elsewhere?

He walked into a program in complete disarray. So, everything he has done is magnified. He won a championship with a completely loaded team. And, since then, he hasn't either a) been able to recruit decent players or b) coach the decent players he gets. It just seems like any other coach would be criticized for this, and for some reason Gary gets a pass no matter what he does. I'm not saying he needs to be fired. But, at the very least, his staff needs to be rearranged to include some recruiting help. I think he misses Patsos more and more each day.

He walked into a program in complete disarray. So, everything he has done is magnified. He won a championship with a completely loaded team. And, since then, he hasn't either a) been able to recruit decent players or b) coach the decent players he gets. It just seems like any other coach would be criticized for this, and for some reason Gary gets a pass no matter what he does. I'm not saying he needs to be fired. But, at the very least, his staff needs to be rearranged to include some recruiting help. I think he misses Patsos more and more each day.

Thats exactly what Moxley was brought in to do before he decided to leave, and what Chuck Dreisell was brought in to do.

Gary doesn't get a pass from the criticism, but we'll need to be a bad team for a lot more than 3-4 seasons before anybody who has more than a few ounces of intelligence should be calling for him to be fired. Changes are being made, they just don't start by firing Gary, thats way, way down the road.

Thats exactly what Moxley was brought in to do before he decided to leave, and what Chuck Dreisell was brought in to do.

Gary doesn't get a pass from the criticism, but we'll need to be a bad team for a lot more than 3-4 seasons before anybody who has more than a few ounces of intelligence should be calling for him to be fired. Changes are being made, they just don't start by firing Gary, thats way, way down the road.

It's not as far down the road as you might think. Seriously, people are already starting to get frustrated and soon the money which has been pouring in from the boosters the last 5 years is gonna be severly decreased. When that happens, Gary isn't gonna have the leash many think he has right now. I'd say he has 2-3 years with this new batch of recruits along with whatever he can pull in the '08 class to get things turned around and headed in the right direction. If not he is gonna be feeling a lot of pressure to resign.

I agree he shouldn't be fired right now. But, each season his seat should be getting hotter. It seems like he needs to focus the most on getting recruiting help. His plan of going Alleghany CC and shouting "who wants next" doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Archived