Juan Francisco DFA'd by Boston

sportsfan8703

$2.3 million is pretty expensive for a bench bat. I wouldn't be upset if we claimed him, but certainly wouldn't regret it if we didn't claim him. I could see a claim as leverage against Delmon Young (who I also wouldn't be terribly upset if he wasn't back next year) and then waiving him before tendering a contract.

Isn't there a way to go to arbitration but then release the player if not needed without paying him? I seem to recall something along those lines we did with somebody, maybe Mark Reynolds?

$2.3 million is pretty expensive for a bench bat. I wouldn't be upset if we claimed him, but certainly wouldn't regret it if we didn't claim him. I could see a claim as leverage against Delmon Young (who I also wouldn't be terribly upset if he wasn't back next year) and then waiving him before tendering a contract.

Isn't there a way to go to arbitration but then release the player if not needed without paying him? I seem to recall something along those lines we did with somebody, maybe Mark Reynolds?

It was not Mark.

This is a good read for all.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3506

Win or lose, the player is awarded a standard one-year MLB contract with no "minor league split" salary or incentive/performance bonuses. Also, the contract is not guaranteed, so if the player is released during Spring Training, the club would only owe the player 30 days or 45 days salary as termination pay, depending on when the player is released. (A player on an MLB 40-man roster receives 100% of what remains of his salary if he is released during the regular season).

NOTE: The Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) is very sensitive about salary arbitration, so if a player who was awarded a contract through the salary arbitration process is released during Spring Training, the MLBPA will almost always file a grievance on behalf of the player, claiming the player was released for economic reasons only (which is not permitted), and asking that the released player receive 100% of his salary as termination pay. In that situation, a club would have to show (by submitting official Spring Training game stats) that the released player was out-performed in Spring Training games by another player (or players) competing for that roster spot.

Archived