Marlins have contacted the Orioles about trading for Chris Davis

AlbionHero

I don't think a Davis for Heaney trade is necessarily foolish for the Marlins. Heaney struggled in his 29.1 ML innings last year and has less than 100 AAA innings. It's quite possible he's not ready for at least a half season and possibly longer. Or maybe he doesn't pan out at all. Davis is still relatively young and if he regains his stroke, it's a reasonable trade for the Marlins. But maybe he doesn't. Plenty of risk to go around.

I'm a believer in Heaney's upside and not a believer in a Davis rebound so I'd like to direct his 2015 salary elsewhere - somewhere in the general direction of Cuba. It would be an easy decision for me.

Davis has been a favorite of mine for 3 years now, but I agree here. If we could get Heaney for him. Let's do it. Put Pearce at 1B, maybe Walker later, and sign Tomas, whom I think will be worth whatever contract he gets.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And we'd have plenty of cheese if it turns out the moon is made of cheese. Over-paying Stanton doesn't mean they should make an uber-foolish trade.

This might be true if Heaney were their only good SP prospect and they were still in rebuilding mode. But they're not. They are looking to contend and they are deep in SP. They need to upgrade their offense. Stanton would see a lot better pitches with Davis hitting behind him. The Stanton deal was not such a bad one for them. It was heavily back loaded and Stanton will very likely take the opt out.

Am I missing something? Heaney has not pitched an inning in the majors - if anyone should be a bit weary it is O's fans.
The O's could use another promising young SP to be waiting in the wings in Norfolk. They have enough SP at the ML level. They could also use the 11 M they were going to have to give to Davis.

Do thee deal...spend the money on Andrew Miller. Pearce to LF, Walker to 1B, Young to DH

The Miller ship has pretty much sailed. So many other teams are in on him that the cost is going to be ridiculous. It's not impossible but seriously, there's maybe a 2% chance we sign him at this point.

I'm split on this idea. Adding Heaney to Gausman, Bundy, Harvey, Tillman, and Gonzo gives up cost controlled pitching depth for the next few years. But is Heaney worth more than what Chris Davis will be next year, plus the comp pick? With MW being a FA, next year maybe our big year for a WS run. That makes Davis's 1 year left with us that much more valuable. The way I see it is that we are not a "losing" franchise anymore. So why weaken a team that was in the ALCS to add a rotation option for 2016? We only have Pearce under control for 1 more year also. Right now we have a lot of holes with our position players.

I'm split on this idea. Adding Heaney to Gausman, Bundy, Harvey, Tillman, and Gonzo gives up cost controlled pitching depth for the next few years. But is Heaney worth more than what Chris Davis will be next year, plus the comp pick? With MW being a FA, next year maybe our big year for a WS run. That makes Davis's 1 year left with us that much more valuable. The way I see it is that we are not a "losing" franchise anymore. So why weaken a team that was in the ALCS to add a rotation option for 2016? We only have Pearce under control for 1 more year also. Right now we have a lot of holes with our position players.

I'm not sure it's weakening the team. And, whether the Orioles are a winning team or not, they still need to make prudent decisions. This would be an excellent trade for the Orioles. Even if Heaney is an average pitcher, he still would be more valuable to the Orioles for six years than Chris is for one. This could also allow the Orioles to reallocate funds.

Archived