The Orioles have acquired LHP Scott Barnes from the Cleveland Indians

Greg

Looks like a good acquisition, good strikeout numbers at AAA. I'd like to know if he has any options left.

I would not think that McCoy or Barnes as rookies are guys I want facing some of the best lefthanded hitters in baseball. Good depth. If this is the best the O's can come up with I would tender Matusz at a projected 2.7M.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a good acquisition, good strikeout numbers at AAA. I'd like to know if he has any options left.

I would not think that McCoy or Barnes as rookies are guys I want facing some of the best lefthanded hitters in baseball. Good depth. If this is the best the O's can come up with I would tender Matusz at a projected 2.7M.

Both McCoy and Barnes have options. (corrected, Barnes does not)

Does anyone think Matusz WILL get tendered? I doubt it. Of course Matusz is gone. We knew that last year. Nothing to see here....this guy will be removed from the 40-man at some point in hopes of sneaking him to AAA when they find an actual replacement. This is as minor move as you can get.

Does anyone think Matusz WILL get tendered? I doubt it. Of course Matusz is gone. We knew that last year. Nothing to see here....this guy will be removed from the 40-man at some point in hopes of sneaking him to AAA when they find an actual replacement. This is as minor move as you can get.

No need to sneak. As has been said, he has options.

Why even waste a 40 man spot on him? That's right everyone the Orioles add is a great player in your eyes.

Maybe he has great minor league splits against left handers. Maybe our scouts think he can be a great Loogy with some coaching. Who cares? We have open spots os it isn't wasting anything.

Yup kinda sad.

I don't understand reacting this way. Guys like him and McCoy are org guys. They'll end up being taken off the 40-man later in the off-season for better players and they'll try and sneak them through waivers at some point. All teams do this. They're just trying to add some LHP depth to Norfolk.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Newly acquired <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> LHP Scott Barnes has no minor league options remaining. He was DFAed by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Indians?src=hash">#Indians</a> on Sunday to clear 40-man space.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">November 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Newly acquired <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> LHP Scott Barnes has no minor league options remaining. He was DFAed by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Indians?src=hash">#Indians</a> on Sunday to clear 40-man space.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">November 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well. Ok then. Thanks for the research.

I really am trying to reserve judgment on this offseason until it's over, but I find it funny that the Indians, who didn't make the playoffs, are trying to clear spots on their 40-man to try and make upgrades while the team that made the ALCS is filling theirs up with a bunch of randoms. I'm aware that they can easily be removed, but I still think it's insanely stupid.

I agree, it is insanely stupid. And I fear that we are going to do the same thing as last year when we got insanely lucky to get Nelson Cruz for one yr./8 Million and then agreed to an insanely stupid 4 year contract for Ubaldo Jimenez.

Is he a 40-man guy?
Yup kinda sad.

Birdland, you are a passionate fan, but I think sometimes you really lose sight of a few things.

Check out the forest sometimes?not just the trees.

It might help.

Dan is doing his thing. He's planted well. Not every transaction is a home run, that's not in Duquette's DNA here in Baltimore. Nor does it have to be.

I really am trying to reserve judgment on this offseason until it's over, but I find it funny that the Indians, who didn't make the playoffs, are trying to clear spots on their 40-man to try and make upgrades while the team that made the ALCS is filling theirs up with a bunch of randoms. I'm aware that they can easily be removed, but I still think it's insanely stupid.
I agree, it is insanely stupid. And I fear that we are going to do the same thing as last year when we got insanely lucky to get Nelson Cruz for one yr./8 Million and then agreed to an insanely stupid 4 year contract for Ubaldo Jimenez.

Yeah, it would be a shame if we had an offseason like last year that led to 99 wins.

Yeah, it would be a shame if we had an offseason like last year that led to 99 wins.

And that is terribly short sighted. It was what we did several years ago that has led to the winning. Like trading Bedard for a Jones, Tillman, Sherrill and company. And Koji for Davis and Hunter. Signing the likes of Ubaldo to multi year 48 million dollar deals, trading Arietta and Strop for Marty Feldman.....That is NOT sustainable baseball management. I will be the first to eat crow and apologize if this administration is winning post season games two years from now. I do not think that is likely though.

Lefties hit .191 off him in AAA and he had a 1.80 GO/AA ratio against them. Definitely seems like left-handed reliever depth to me. Good low cost move. This doesn't bode well for Matusz being tendered.

These types of moves are really smart because there's basically no risk, just upside. If it works out, you've just found a cheaper replacement for Matusz. If not, you didn't lose anything. Just AAA filler.

Archived