Will DD Make Any Moves Before The Winter Meetings in San Diego December 7th-11th?

section18

The Orioles are prepared to move Davis, Wieters and Norris and will cope if Nick continues to try and squeeze them for more money and goes elsewhere. He has already squeezed them for millions over the last few years. I think they are at their limit and getting tired of dealing with his agents demands. None of these moves are complicated. JJ and Wieters would improve the Dodgers. The Dodgers will eat $5 million +plus for each year of Kemps contract. There is plenty of time between now and Spring Training. DD will do what's necessary to improve the team.

I agree with you on the bold part. The rest of this and your opening post...not so much...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles are prepared to move Davis, Wieters and Norris and will cope if Nick continues to try and squeeze them for more money and goes elsewhere. He has already squeezed them for millions over the last few years. I think they are at their limit and getting tired of dealing with his agents demands. None of these moves are complicated. JJ and Wieters would improve the Dodgers. The Dodgers will eat $5 million +plus for each year of Kemps contract. There is plenty of time between now and Spring Training. DD will do what's necessary to improve the team.

So basically you are saying blowup the team that won 99 games last year instead of adding to it and trying to win the WS in 2015.

You do know that Wieters is untradeable and Davis is close to a no tender candidate?

So basically you are saying blowup the team that won 99 games last year instead of adding to it and trying to win the WS in 2015.

I think section 18's posts throughout this thread are borderline wacko, but if overpaying for Markakis, Cruz and Davis are the only way to get to "adding to" and "trying to win the WS" then point me to the dynamite and hand me a match.

Markakis and Cruz are free agents and hell-bent on becoming expensive free agents. Machado and Wieters missed the majority of last season and are legitimate question marks. Cumulatively Davis looked lost at the plate for all but a couple of weeks last year - another legitimate question mark for 2015. IMO Schoop warrants another year's gamble that his bat comes around, but that's hardly a sure thing.

A lot of the OP's suggestions are excessive and unnecessary, but to think that the 2014 O's only need to be "added to" is asking for trouble. Maybe Cruz was lightning in a bottle, Davis a cautionary tale and Markakis nothing more than a failed marriage.

I think section 18's posts throughout this thread are borderline wacko, but if overpaying for Markakis, Cruz and Davis are the only way to get to "adding to" and "trying to win the WS" then point me to the dynamite and hand me a match.

Markakis and Cruz are free agents and hell-bent on becoming expensive free agents. Machado and Wieters missed the majority of last season and are legitimate question marks. Cumulatively Davis looked lost at the plate for all but a couple of weeks last year - another legitimate question mark for 2015. IMO Schoop warrants another year's gamble that his bat comes around, but that's hardly a sure thing.

A lot of the OP's suggestions are excessive and unnecessary, but to think that the 2014 O's only need to be "added to" is asking for trouble. Maybe Cruz was lightning in a bottle, Davis a cautionary tale and Markakis nothing more than a failed marriage.

Nice post. You point out all the question marks. Please point me to the sure things. There is always a chance players don't achieve but all a GM can do is develop the best Plan A he can and have contingencies if someone does not work out.

DD has a pattern that he uses on the off season. He adds low cost players through the first part of the off season and later in the off season he adds bargains. Sometimes the bargain are expensive, sometimes not. I expect the same approach this year. It has worked well for him.

As far as Nick and Cruz, DD has made his offers. Nick from all we have heard is a 4 year offer for less money than Nick wants. Cruz is a three year deal. I don't look for DD to increase the offers much. Either the players take what is offered or they leave. I am sure DD is prepared for both outcomes.

DD doesn't panic when players do not return. He traded Jim Johnson and told Buck to find a closer from what he had on the roster. That worked. There was no way to think last off season that Britton was a sure thing closer. Heck it was a big question if he would even make the team. But DD and Buck made it work. I feel sure they will do that again this off season if that is what is needed.

Will DD make any moves before the Winter Meetings and at the meetings?

I think a decision will come soon on Nick and Cruz.

Cruz will stay in Baltimore and Nick will go to Atlanta.

We will sign Santana or Shields

Davis will be traded to Miami with Matusz for Andrew Neaney P?

Aoki will sign with us and Young will stay.

Now for the big surprise. We will move Manny to SS.

We will trade for Beltre for 3B. Norris and Bundy + infielder

Wieters and Hardy will be traded for Kemp + Cash.

If my projections are right the payroll will increase about $5 million.

http://www.milb.com/milb/events/wintermeetings.jsp

So Nick, Wieters, Hardy, Norris, Bundy, Matusz and Davis leave. Hardy may be the only surprise on this list. I think DD signed Hardy to showcase him a little during the payoffs. His arm is not as strong and a lot of his throws were off this season. Buck said recently that Manny will see SS sometime. Now is the time. His knees are taking a beating at 3B with countless dives to his left or right trying to stop line drives. It may not seem like it but it's going to be easier for him playing SS. Ask Cal

We win the east with this lineup and staff. 2B and Schoop is our biggest concern and another catcher. We are talking to Atlanta about Gattis who catches, plays OF and 1B. Another Surhoff? He would be perfect for us and might be our lead catcher over Joseph if we obtain him.

When has anything you have ever said happened? I don't understand how you can always have such outlandish ideas (though well articulated), knowing full well none (or at least most of it) won't happen.

So Nick, Wieters, Hardy, Norris, Bundy, Matusz and Davis leave. Hardy may be the only surprise on this list. I think DD signed Hardy to showcase him a little during the payoffs. His arm is not as strong and a lot of his throws were off this season. Buck said recently that Manny will see SS sometime. Now is the time. His knees are taking a beating at 3B with countless dives to his left or right trying to stop line drives. It may not seem like it but it's going to be easier for him playing SS. Ask Cal

We win the east with this lineup and staff. 2B and Schoop is our biggest concern and another catcher. We are talking to Atlanta about Gattis who catches, plays OF and 1B. Another Surhoff? He would be perfect for us and might be our lead catcher over Joseph if we obtain him.

50centdriving.gif

Are you sure your real name is not section 8? Cause that is some of the craziest, wacked out stuff I have read on here.

First off you do not sign JJ to a deal simply to trade him away a few months later before even playing a game under the new deal. Sure there is no rule that says you cannot but generally speaking its bad form and not done with a player of his ability.

Second, Manny is coming off his second knee surgery and you want to move him to a position that will put more stress on a knee that will likely still be a work in progress much like his other one was this year....yea that makes sense.

What in DD history or make up makes you think he is giving up Bundy AND Norris plus for Beltre who is good but on the wrong side 30?

I could see Nick leaving, I could see Cruz resigning, I could even see Aoki being brought in. That is about the only things in that entire post that made even a modicum of sense.

Cruz is a valued player to the team and with the Latin players on the team.

Nick has been a fan favorite for years but is not worth signing for 4 years at $48 mill.

Wieters and Davis would be leaving after this season anyway due to their contract demands.

Norris and Hardy are at peak value. Now is the time to move them. Texas needs pitching and the Dodgers need a catcher and SS.

The Marlins want another power bat in their lineup and Davis is on their list.

Bundy is still a mystery. It could go either way with him. Texas was rumored to be considering putting Beltre on waivers late last season. Not sure if that happened. He's not an untouchable and would fit perfectly at 3B for us.

The Dodgers want a catcher and shortstop short term. Check the latest news out of each town.

Too many moves for it to actually happen. Moving Manny over at this point is too much of a risk...perhaps let him show that his knees will give a full season first.

Trading Hardy after he just extended instead of going to FA would certainly set a bad example to anyone else that would consider signing here. He could have gotten more on the open market. Why would Atlanta sign Nick when it's obvious they are cutting payroll? Shields was predicted by mlb network to sign here. I personally think he's overrated and wouldn't be worth what he wants.

Nice post. . .

. . .

DD doesn't panic when players do not return. He traded Jim Johnson and told Buck to find a closer from what he had on the roster. That worked. There was no way to think last off season that Britton was a sure thing closer. Heck it was a big question if he would even make the team. But DD and Buck made it work. I feel sure they will do that again this off season if that is what is needed.

And let's not forget that Britton was not our Plan A Closer, Hunter was. Reinforcing the need to have a deep team with guys who are having good years to balance out the guys who are having bad ones. Britton stepped up big. Brach contributed eventually. Webb contributed here and there. To name a few.

This is the phase we are in. Add arms. Add gloves. Repeat. This way the team is reloaded with the guys who can break out, and if they don't break out, it's no problem to rotate the next guy in.

I love DD. Has he ever played ball, and if so, can I buy his jersey?

And let's not forget that Britton was not our Plan A Closer, Hunter was. Reinforcing the need to have a deep team with guys who are having good years to balance out the guys who are having bad ones. Britton stepped up big. Brach contributed eventually. Webb contributed here and there. To name a few.

This is the phase we are in. Add arms. Add gloves. Repeat. This way the team is reloaded with the guys who can break out, and if they don't break out, it's no problem to rotate the next guy in.

I love DD. Has he ever played ball, and if so, can I buy his jersey?

p19566385_customback.chain]

I guess everyone has heard today the national reports the Orioles have been talking to the Dodgers about a trade for Matt Kemp. If this happens I guess my original post looks different to some on here. News that Markakis negotiations have stalled and he's no longer a sure thing to re-sign may mean a change of position by the FO. That is also in my OP. Don't scouts go to spring training games? Of course they do. Someone questioned how a scout would see Wieters prior to the start of the season. I said working out and in exhibition spring training games. This isn't rocket science. The winter meetings start on the 7th - this Sunday. Should be an interesting week or two coming up for the Orioles.

Archived