Interest in Kyle Blanks?

theobird

Scott Van Slyke, now THAT would be a move for a potential starter. The Dodgers could get a decent return for him.

I'd do it. Personally I think his bat would play great at OPACY. Young dynamic OF who can get on base and really could use a team that will let him play everyday. That sounds like a good marriage if we could match up trade wise. If you get Van Slyke you can walk away from Nick save yourself the 30 million or so it will take to sign him. You also have another younger player in the fold whom you can count on having around for while. Gives you more payroll flexibility to perhaps secure Cruz or whatever else you decide to go after.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What Orioles player/players would you trade for him? Norris?

I'd give up Norris and something else that interests the Dodgers for him.

Its a bold move but the kid can hit, good fielder and seems to be lost in the crowd in LA right now. I think he could be had. I also think he could flourish here

It's tough; the Dodgers are so loaded, they don't have much flexibility. They've got one open spot in the rotation so Norris would make sense. Their weakest position is at catcher, and their #2 problem is at 3B where Juan Uribe will be 37 and is on his last contract year. So we're looking at: SP, RP, C and 3B.

It's tough; the Dodgers are so loaded, they don't have much flexibility. They've got one open spot in the rotation so Norris would make sense. Their weakest position is at catcher, and their #2 problem is at 3B where Juan Uribe will be 37 and is on his last contract year. So we're looking at: SP, RP, C and 3B.

Well we have SP to deal. If its a multiplayer deal then you could consider packaging Chris Davis and Norris to the Dodger for Van Slyke and something else we like. Basically your turning two guys who are likely to become FA next year into a piece you will have around for years to come hopefully. In that scenario Pearce goes to 1B Van Slyke, AJ and Lough/De Aza are your OF. You no longer need to sign Nick, your clearing CD's salary and Norris off the books. You then have some options on how to spend it to supplement the team.

Well we have SP to deal. If its a multiplayer deal then you could consider packaging Chris Davis and Norris to the Dodger for Van Slyke and something else we like. Basically your turning two guys who are likely to become FA next year into a piece you will have around for years to come hopefully. In that scenario Pearce goes to 1B Van Slyke, AJ and Lough/De Aza are your OF. You no longer need to sign Nick, your clearing CD's salary and Norris off the books. You then have some options on how to spend it to supplement the team.

I like everything you've said except I don't believe for a second that

Pearce is an everyday player. It could clear a path for Christian Walker.

Norris and Hunter for Van Slyke. That opens up 15m. Re-sign Cruz. Trade for Reddick. OF is Van Slyke, Jones, Reddick. Sign James Shields.

1. Reddick

2. Machado

3. Jones

4. Cruz

5. Wieters

6. Davis

7. Hardy

8. Van Slyke/Pearce

9. Schoop

Rotation

1. Shields

2. Tillman

3. Chen

4. Gonzalez

5. Gausman

Trade Ubaldo to whoever will take him.

I mentioned before this thread that I'd prefer Blanks over Young. Blanks is still relatively... young, and at least when he was younger, he was athletic enough to play some LF as well as first base. He's hit decently in the majors and was a big-time prospect at one point.

I mentioned before this thread that I'd prefer Blanks over Young. Blanks is still relatively... young, and at least when he was younger, he was athletic enough to play some LF as well as first base. He's hit decently in the majors and was a big-time prospect at one point.

Blanks is all of 361 days younger than Young. Young was a bigger-time prospect than Blanks. He was a number one overall pick. Young has had spells when he has hit very decently in the majors, as well.

I believe that I would prefer Blanks myself, depending on the cost, of course, but not for the reasons you list. I just think Blanks has faced injuries and can now be a better player than Young if he can stay healthy. And, lets face it, Delmon's past off-the-field issues still cast a cloud of doubt going forward. Blanks has no such baggage to my knowledge.

They don't have a DH in the NL yet ,and Gonzalez is their 1B. What would they do with Davis? They want to free up money in that OF logjam. VanSlyke is someone they want to keep, They need SP(Norris) RP(Hunter, Matusz) SS and C. We don't have that to give up, unless they'd be interested in Caleb and Flaherty.

They don't have a DH in the NL yet ,and Gonzalez is their 1B. What would they do with Davis? They want to free up money in that OF logjam. VanSlyke is someone they want to keep, They need SP(Norris) RP(Hunter, Matusz) SS and C. We don't have that to give up, unless they'd be interested in Caleb and Flaherty.

Davis could maybe be serviceable at 3b for them.

Archived