Calling it now Orioles will go into Panic mode

Greg

Dan was always more likely to re-sign Markakis than Cruz. It's been clear from the first day of the offseason.

What is an overpay in your opinion?

More than $10 million a year and more than 3 years. I fully expect Nick to get more than that. I would be surprised if it got to the 4/48 from the Orioles that seems to be the consensus guess.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big mistake on Cruz's part. He won't hit 30 HR's playing there. His buddy and fellow Dominican Robinson Cano probably had a role in this decision. Cruz is also from the Dominican. Loyalty? i know only here 1 year but he would probably put up better numbers and be a fan favorite if he had stayed. Sandoval left over $5 mill because Big Papi is a good friend of his. He left for 100 mill vs $95 mill offered by San Francisco. Loyalty? Doesn't seem to exist any more. I'm sure many are disappointed about this and hopefully Miller doesn't sign with NY who is going after him with a big offer. After playing in Boston and Baltimore I hope he has no love for NY.

We will be fine even if Nick leaves. Hunter, Aoki and Kemp should be on their plate and hopefully become Orioles soon.

Big mistake on Cruz's part. He won't hit 30 HR's playing there. His buddy and fellow Dominican Robinson Cano probably had a role in this decision. Cruz is also from the Dominican. Loyalty? i know only here 1 year but he would probably put up better numbers and be a fan favorite if he had stayed. Sandoval left over $5 mill because Big Papi is a good friend of his. He left for 100 mill vs $95 mill offered by San Francisco. Loyalty? Doesn't seem to exist any more. I'm sure many are disappointed about this and hopefully Miller doesn't sign with NY who is going after him with a big offer. After playing in Boston and Baltimore I hope he has no love for NY.

We will be fine even if Nick leaves. Hunter, Aoki and Kemp should be on their plate and hopefully become Orioles soon.

I doubt he'll consider it a mistake. This is Cruz's last multi-year contract and perhaps his last contract period. It's about the money at this point. I don't think anyone is thinking in terms of loyalty.

How is this a mistake for Cruz. This was his last big contract and he took it. He will be 38 when it is over and likely looking at $8M a year or less regardless of where he signed now.

Nobody is going to panic. I doubt Dan ever considered Cruz a serious option based on a strong ceiling of what he was willing to offer and what he realistically expected Cruz to get. I'm sure he is happy to have gotten a higher draft pick than what was given up and the enormous amount of production he got for such a short and cheap contract. More than likely is mulling over what players will be left come February that he can try and recreate that scenario.

You know why cause Nick is cheaper.

There are a series of reasons, but the most important is that Nick is more likely to place a higher value on staying in Baltimore as opposed to getting the most lucrative contract possible. I think Cruz enjoyed his year here, but let's face it, it was one year and Cruz had no roots here.

In any event, there is not much more to say until (1) Nick signs a contract with someone, and (2) we see how much it's for.

How is this a mistake for Cruz. This was his last big contract and he took it. He will be 38 when it is over and likely looking at $8M a year or less regardless of where he signed now.

Definitely not a mistake by Cruz. He will not put up anywhere near the numbers he did last year in Baltimore, but for him, who cares. He has his money based on one stellar season at 34 years old, and he helped us get to the ALCS. I wish him well, but am glad we didn't spend 60 million on a DH who I don't see ever matching his numbers from a year ago.

I also don't consider signing Nick a panic move. The Orioles want him back, and he wants to come back, but Dan will bring him back at the money Dan wants, and if Nick keeps pushing for more, he may well end up playing somewhere other than Baltimore. I like Nick and want him back, but Dan has taken over my Ozzie Newsome confidence. In Dan I trust!

Archived