Calling it now Orioles will go into Panic mode

Greg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Much easier to make a comment like this using hindsight (actual results) than to actually answer the question and take a future-looking position.

In any event, I wasn't asking a general question. I wanted to know what the OP would consider an "overpay" for Nick Markakis, since he said Dan would "overpay" him now after the Cruz signing.

In any event, I wasn't asking a general question. I wanted to know what the OP would consider an "overpay" for Nick Markakis, since he said Dan would "overpay" him now after the Cruz signing.

Oh I know, that's what I was trying to get at by "actually answer the question."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I'm sure there is some contingent that will be angry no matter what. If we "overpay" it will be anger that we devoted so much money to markakis. If we get a deal, it will be anger that the cheap orioles let Cruz walk so they could sign a cheaper player.

Oh I know, that's what I was trying to get at by "actually answer the question."

Well, I will answer my own question. I'd consider 4/$48 mm an overpay. 4/$44 mm, a slight overpay. 4/$40 mm or lower, a fine contract. (Note to socalbirdfan: we're talking about Nick Markakis here.)

Well, I will answer my own question. I'd consider 4/$48 mm an overpay. 4/$44 mm, a slight overpay. 4/$40 or lower, a fine contract.

I think 4/44 would be fine. If call 4/50 overpay. So I fall slightly higher on this range. 4/40 I would consider value territory.

A deal like Jimenez got is what I meant. In relation to what he got. Not that Markakis would ever receive that deal. 4/$40mil would be too much. Four years would be too much.

Much easier to make a comment like this using hindsight (actual results) than to actually answer the question and take a future-looking position.

What if Jimenez had pitched like 2013 or 2011 or 2010 or 2009 or 2008?

Well, I will answer my own question. I'd consider 4/$48 mm an overpay. 4/$44 mm, a slight overpay. 4/$40 mm or lower, a fine contract. (Note to socalbirdfan: we're talking about Nick Markakis here.)

I know of whom you speak but unlike you I don't think that entitles him to extra years and dollars. If weams is right and they offered him 4/$34 I think that's fair if not a slight overpay.

I know of whom you speak but unlike you I don't think that entitles him to extra years and dollars. If weams is right and they offered him 4/$34 I think that's fair if not a slight overpay.

No, I was just trying to ensure you knew my opinion was about Nick Markakis, not Ubaldo Jimenez. I don't think Nick is entitled to extra years and dollars, either, though in any contract negotiation there is a range of what's fair and reasonable rather than a single figure. I obviously have a higher opinion of Nick's future value than you do, but that is hardly surprising.

Unless he explicitly gives us a home town discount I don't think that 4/$34 is in the ball park. It's not close to any of the bandied about number have been and not in the range of Heyman's 3 man show. Definitely not an overpay considering where the market will eventually settle IMO.

Unless he explicitly gives us a home town discount I don't think that 4/$34 is in the ball park. It's not close to any of the bandied about number have been and not in the range of Heyman's 3 man show. Definitely not an overpay considering where the market will eventually settle IMO.

Then we need to let him go. And I like Nick.

Archived