Replacing Cruz's Bat

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm totally bummed. I don't think that 4 years at 57 mill is a bad contract. Only time will tell, but this contract is market rate. Everyone in baseball is overpaid. Russell Martin got over 80million. I'd much rather have Cruz at 57 mill than Martin at 80 or Markakis at 40.

I'm sure DD has a plan. I'm not going to disparage him before the season starts. This Orioles team is built to win right now. I expect a big bat to be added.

Two very wise statements here. I do think we may want to look for another bat now, but Cruz wasn't likely to repeat his 2014 season and we can find other ways to win.

All of this. The seasons that we've had under DD... Have faith that voids will be filled. If not by signings or trades, then by others stepping up. There is a winning culture in B-More now.

No Cruz means the Orioles should be upgrading at least one corner outfield spot.

De Aza is not the answer. Pearce is a nice DH / OF platoon.

Hunter / Jones / Markakis could be your 2015 starting OF.

I have no problem with De Aza as the lefthanded part of a platoon in leftfield.

Cruz wasn't going to replace the 2014 Cruz. That's the big misconception. Trade for Kemp, sign Hunter, etc.

Exactly.

I don't like the term "replace" because it seems to imply both that prior year performance is likely to repeat and that if a player with a certain skill set goes away he needs to be replaced by a player with a similar skill set. Cruz in 2015 almost certainly would not have been the same as Cruz in 2014. The Orioles also don't need to find 40 home runs somewhere just because they had 40 from Cruz last season. They should simply be looking for a player or players who can bring as much value as Cruz did in 2014, regardless of whether that value is in power, defense, OBP, or something else. I think when we start thinking in terms of replacing players, we are thinking too narrowly. There are many, many ways to go about constructing a winning team. The Orioles could do nothing major to replace Cruz's bat, instead focusing on upgrading the defense and pitching to further prevent runs and end up in better shape in 2015. It is not about replacing, it is about improving the overall team in some way.

Yea just like when we were gonna be 10 games under .500 at the end of April in 2013. Just like all the times you probably pronounced us dead last season.

Yeah, no surprise. How many winning seasons in a row do we need before you give this team the benefit of the doubt?

Guest rochester

I would have liked keeping Cruz and don't think the 4/57 is that bad.

However, the panic is incredibly misplaced at this time. The same "sky is falling" continued throughout most of last offseason and we ended up winning 99, so I tend to believe DD has a plan.

I do agree the lost power is a concern - may be apples and oranges but I would not sign Nick. We may not be able to afford getting no power out of RF, with a good leadoff hitter that can't run. The $23-25M for Cruz and Markakis would be a nice start.

David Lough had a very similar season to De Aza and is making near the league min.

So if the Orioles are looking for a cheap starting OF'er he's the guy... if he's going to be part time player we already have Lough.

Lough had 174 at bats . De Aza had 477 at bats. I don't consider their seasons similar.

Archived