Who were the best one-year Orioles?

Frobby

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

There is a lot of interesting discussion about Reggie Jackson's tenure with the Orioles in this thread:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/107416-REGGIE-JACKSON-S-Lost-Season

Because of Jackson's very brief (and almost forgotten within the context of baseball history) tenure with the Orioles, videos are hard to find of him playing for the orange and black. I dug up a couple of them here:

o

From 0:35 to 0:46 seconds, that is Reggie Jackson warming up in the on-deck circle, and hitting a grand slam home run in the top of the 9th inning to win the game for the Orioles against the White Sox ...... August 22nd, 1976.

O

[video=youtube;MaUN6XHQvAE]

[/url]

O

Here is a more expanded version of the grand slam, from 3:40 to 4:18. It shows the Oriole runners jogging around the bases, and Reggie getting a hand around the back from Ken Singleton after he crosses the plate. That's Al Bumbry kicking the dirt from his cleats after Reggie's granny.

O

[video=youtube;CQiX62Y1N_Q]

O

o

There is a lot of interesting discussion about Reggie Jackson's tenure with the Orioles in this thread:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/107416-REGGIE-JACKSON-S-Lost-Season

Because of Jackson's very brief (and almost forgotten within the context of baseball history) tenure with the Orioles, videos are hard to find of him playing for the orange and black. I dug up a couple of them here:

o

From 0:35 to 0:46 seconds, that is Reggie Jackson warming up in the on-deck circle, and hitting a grand slam home run in the top of the 9th inning to win the game for the Orioles against the White Sox ...... August 22nd, 1976.

O

[/url]

O

Here is a more expanded version of the grand slam, from 3:40 to 4:18. It shows the Oriole runners jogging around the bases, and Reggie getting a hand around the back from Ken Singleton after he crosses the plate. That's Al Bumbry kicking the dirt from his cleats after Reggie's granny.

O

O

He's basically been edited out of Oriole history. When they brought over 100 guys back in 1991 for the last game at Memorial Stadium, he wasn't one of them and I don't remember ANYONE commenting on the omission.

He's basically been edited out of Oriole history. When they brought over 100 guys back in 1991 for the last game at Memorial Stadium, he wasn't one of them and I don't remember ANYONE commenting on the omission.

How many other guys who played one year with the Orioles did they bring back? It would have been ridiculous to have him there. I was at that game, and pretty much every player there had a lengthy tenure with the Orioles.

How many other guys who played one year with the Orioles did they bring back? It would have been ridiculous to have him there. I was at that game, and pretty much every player there had a lengthy tenure with the Orioles.

Was Tito Landrum there? I can't remember now.

o

Aside from the franchise record which he still holds/shares with Chris Davis (hitting at least one home run in 6 consecutive games), a feat that Jackson managed to do in his one lone season with the Orioles that was particularly impressive to me was that he posted a career-high for stolen bases in a season (28) ...... in spite of missing the first month of the season when he held out.

One of the all-time great power hitters stole more bases in one season than he ever had in any other season in his long, illustrious career, in spite of missing one month of the season, and, in spite of playing for a manager that was not particularly concerned about his players stealing bases is very impressive to me ...... although, it should be noted that (as RZNJ pointed out in his "Dispelling the Weaver Myth" thread), Weaver's alleged disdain for the stolen base was exaggerated. In fact, the Orioles led the American League in stolen bases in 1973, were 3rd in 1974, 5th in 1975, and in 4th 1976.

SteveA said:

o

Jackson was in the Orioles broadcast booth during a game either last year, or the year before.

I remember it, because I was thrilled about it, and commented accordingly in the game thread that night.

Reggie talked about his 1976 season that he played for the Orioles, including his franchise-record of hitting a home run in 6 consecutive games while he was in the booth with Palmer and Thorne.

The fact that he was invited as a guest to the broadcast almost 4 decades after he played for the team would seem to belie the assertion that he has been edited out of Orioles history. Almost forgotten in the overall scheme of baseball history, as to this day many people that I talk to are surprised (and did not know) that Jackson ever played for the Orioles ...... but not necessarily edited out of Orioles history.

o

Jeff Stone.

I guaranty that no other Oriole ever had higher urine levels of Marijuana Metabolite than Jeff Stone - EVER!

It is hard to be the best, but he did it.

Stone may hold some kind of Oriole record for least productive player on a per at bat basis (probably if you set the threshold to 50 PAs). In 66 PAs with the O's he was worth -1.1 fWAR, which works out to -10 wins per 600 PAs. If you made up a team half of 2013 Mike Trouts and half 1988 Jeff Stones they'd win about 45 games.

o

o

O

[/url]

O

O

O

Wow. Those videos almost look like colorized 1920's vintage film compared to today's standard. Sometimes I marvel at how far technologically we have come in just my lifetime. It especially strikes me when I see 70's home movies or black and white prints from the era. Even stuff from the 80's was a huge leap.

Seeing those kids at the start of the second video reminds me of myself at that time. I remember those tight shorts and tube socks.

Reggie has always been one of my favorite players of all time. I attended his first game playing for the O's. It was game two of a double header, May 2, 1976, against his old team, the Oakland A's. I don't remember who won. I remember Reggie standing in right field talking to the A's relief pitchers between innings. Ah, what could have been if O's management just opened their wallets.

Archived