Rushing talent

wildcard

My gut instinct is that Alvarez is a bit more ready for the majors than Walker is. I'd prefer to have both start the year in Norfolk.

So would I. But there may be two spots to fill and are the O's going to spend 20m/yr to fill them or maybe rush a guy or two?

I think Schoop had to earn his job at the beginning of the year over Lombardozzi and Flaherty, which he did, and I think he tailed pretty hard but was forced to keep getting ABs due to the injury to Machado. Which made his end numbers look like he was rushed where as I would probably call it over extended.

I think he will again have to earn his job against Navarro. But earning a job to a certain extent as long as it's not against a straw man is evidence that the team is not trying to rush the player.

You can talk yourself into whatever you want. Schoop was not ready to hit at this level. We got some power but average and OBP suffered. Bad advice from Jones probably didn't help.

No evidence to blame money at all.

If you check the board I am not the only one that thinks the O's might have had to trade some players to afford Nick and Nelson. And Weams you say that 140m was not in the cards. 114m plus 25m for Nick and Nelson puts that right there.

If you check the board I am not the only one that thinks the O's might have had to trade some players to afford Nick and Nelson. And Weams you say that 140m was not in the cards. 114m plus 25m for Nick and Nelson puts that right there.

I am saying that I do not think Dan wants to restrict himself with that type of final number, not that ownership has not brought forth a budget. Money is always important but I do not think Dan is constrained by it.

I am saying that I do not think Dan wants to restrict himself with that type of final number, not that ownership has not brought forth a budget. Money is always important but I do not think Dan is constrained by it.

Dan isn't constrained because he is willing to trade players when he needs to. Or just flat out leave them go.

So would I. But there may be two spots to fill and are the O's going to spend 20m/yr to fill them or maybe rush a guy or two?

It depends on whether the O's think these two guys are likely to be long term solutions. If so, maybe you rush them. If not, go find someone better. I think the O's viewed Schoop as a likely long term solution. I don't know if they view Alvarez or Walker that way, but I don't think either of them is as highly regarded as Schoop was.

It depends on whether the O's think these two guys are likely to be long term solutions. If so, maybe you rush them. If not, go find someone better. I think the O's viewed Schoop as a likely long term solution. I don't know if they view Alvarez or Walker that way, but I don't think either of them is as highly regarded as Schoop was.

Schoop had a big spring too. Big spring.

My gut instinct is that Alvarez is a bit more ready for the majors than Walker is. I'd prefer to have both start the year in Norfolk.

My gut tells me neither is ready for the show yet. The numbers tend to show the same thing. Alvarez may be closer but as someone else said, he is like AJ without the power.

Maybe in September, if either of them is on this roster opening day for any reason other than a plague of injuries then something went terribly wrong.

Archived