Emotions asside is there much difference between De Aza and Markakis in the outfield?

birdcrazy

Lets assume if Markakis signed, the every day outfield would be Jones, Markakis, and Pearce. If he does not sign, instead it is Jones, De Aza, and Pearce.

Given the money saved is De Aza a downgrade? Maybe hits for lower average, but has more speed and power?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets assume if Markakis signed, the every day outfield would be Jones, Markakis, and Pearce. If he does not sign, instead it is Jones, De Aza, and Pearce.

Given the money saved is De Aza a downgrade? Maybe hits for lower average, but has more speed and power?

Why do people want Pearce to play everyday? Guy is a classic case of a 1 year wonder. Counting on him in 2015 is a huge mistake IMO. But i don't think De Aza is that huge of a drop off in RF.

Why do people want Pearce to play everyday? Guy is a classic case of a 1 year wonder. Counting on him in 2015 is a huge mistake IMO. But i don't think De Aza is that huge of a drop off in RF.

Do you think De Aza's arm plays in RF? I have my doubts.

They need to use 4-5 roster spots to fill RF/LF/DH.

I agree that you can't rely on Pearce to be the 2014, but he'd be in that 4/5 player mix for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's Jones , Markakis , De Aza unless Nick goes elsewhere. Buck will rotate Pearce in at 1B and DH and LF as a swingman.

De Aza is the better lead off hitter due to speed ....he's a good player if he reverts to form from 2 years ago. .270 ish , .350OBP, 20 steals and 10-15 dingers.

Markakis fWAR last 2 years: 2.5

DeAza fWAR last 2 years: 3.6

I don't think you can clearly say Markakis is the better option.

Is that true? Because De Aza's rWAR is 0.4 over the past two years. That's an extreme difference between the two metrics.

Is that true? Because De Aza's rWAR is 0.4 over the past two years. That's an extreme difference between the two metrics.

Not sure where you got 3.6 ...

De Aza

Year    Tm Lg  WAR2013   CHW AL -0.32014   CHW AL  0.42014   BAL AL  0.3

Markakis

Year    Tm   G  PA  WAR2013   BAL 160 700 -0.32014   BAL 155 710  2.1

I'm with you here...Steve Pearce is not a player to depend on until he shows last year was not an aberration. If he can still hit then you make room in the lineup but until then you have to approach him as a bench guy.

Yeah. There is a difference. We saw De Aza at his best. Maybe he will stay that while with us. Maybe it's the Boog's Smoke.

De Aza could range to slightly better to slightly worse IMO. All depends on which De Aza shows up.

At the end of the day I doubt what we have is what we trot out with on opening day next season.

While I am not convinced Kemp is the guy, I think DD has some deal brewing that will bring in a bat

De Aza could range to slightly better to slightly worse IMO. All depends on which De Aza shows up.

At the end of the day I doubt what we have is what we trot out with on opening day next season.

While I am not convinced Kemp is the guy, I think DD has some deal brewing that will bring in a bat

I think a Lough/RH platoon is a better option than both.

Archived