Fangraphs: What are we missing about Nick Markakis?

Phantom

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-are-we-missing-about-nick-markakis/

When I started this, I really wanted to see what I?d been missing. I wanted to know why the public perception and the advanced metrics seem so far apart. I?m not really sure I accomplished that. Markakis is a steady player, nothing more, with little upside remaining and age squarely against him, one who could look worse outside of Camden depending on where he winds up. Some team is going to pay heavily for that. Some team is going to regret doing so.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-are-we-missing-about-nick-markakis/

When I started this, I really wanted to see what I?d been missing. I wanted to know why the public perception and the advanced metrics seem so far apart. I?m not really sure I accomplished that. Markakis is a steady player, nothing more, with little upside remaining and age squarely against him, one who could look worse outside of Camden depending on where he winds up. Some team is going to pay heavily for that. Some team is going to regret doing so.

I tend to agree with this!

I've seen more than a few comments on national sites where people looked up Markakis' stats and thought he was better then he actually was, since he has this reputation of a good player. I think that's what some of these contract numbers being thrown around are pretty much like... People hear the name Nick Markakis, and they think they're getting a good offensive player who plays great defense, but the reality of it is that the stats don't back that up.

I've seen more than a few comments on national sites where people looked up Markakis' stats and thought he was better then he actually was, since he has this reputation of a good player. I think that's what some of these contract numbers being thrown around are pretty much like... People hear the name Nick Markakis, and they think they're getting a good offensive player who plays great defense, but the reality of it is that the stats don't back that up.

Someone on MLB channel was lauding his playoff experience...all seven games worth. Of course he did rock a 668 OPS in those seven games.

One thing that isn't mentioned is that unlike a fair amount of lefties, he can actually handle left-handed pitchers. There has to be some value to having a guy who can handle both righties and lefties (though admittedly his power was abysmal vs. lefties this year).

Still agree that he tends to be overrated.

Kind of like Kemp, Ethier, and Crawford, only less so.

One thing that isn't mentioned is that unlike a fair amount of lefties, he can actually handle left-handed pitchers. There has to be some value to having a guy who can handle both righties and lefties (though admittedly his power was abysmal vs. lefties this year).

Still agree that he tends to be overrated.

It's possible he would be worth more if he excelled against righties and struggled against lefties, as opposed to be solid against both, because then you could at least get a good platoon out of him.

After the 100-page plus thread and all the succeeding threads about Nick Markakis, I can honestly say that I've never understood the strengths and weaknesses of any Orioles player now or in the past more fully than I do Nick's. Is there any OH poster anywhere who is missing anything at a this point?

After the 100-page plus thread and all the succeeding threads about Nick Markakis, I can honestly say that I've never understood the strengths and weaknesses of any Orioles player now or in the past more fully than I do Nick's. Is there any OH poster anywhere who is missing anything at a this point?

I think we should look at his stats pre-facial hair policy and post. The goatee could be zapping his power. The anti-sampson.

This article is entirely about on field value.I have to think the Orioles see him a bit differently.

They can market Nick Markakis.

The Orioles can sell tickets with him.

If they can keep him until he retires and the Orioles can keep on marketing him as the next Orioles lifer, put him in the team hall of fame and trot him out at events for the next 50 years.

There is value is all these things. I don't know how much. Probably not enough to warrant 4/50, but the Orioles must have some accountants who have quantified this.

This article is entirely about on field value.I have to think the Orioles see him a bit differently.

The Orioles can sell tickets with him.

If they can keep him until he retires and the Orioles can keep on marketing him as the next Orioles lifer, put him in the team hall of fame and trot him out at events for the next 50 years.

There is value is all these things. I don't know how much. Probably not enough to warrant 4/50, but the Orioles must have some accountants who have quantified this.

You know what sells tickets?

Winning games.

I would hazard a guess that the 2001 Orioles without Ripken but with 98 wins would have sold more tickets then they did with Ripken and 98 losses.

The Orioles can sell tickets with him.QUOTE]

I think this stuff might have worked back in the mid/late 2000s when he was the only marquee guy. But now he's just another guy and there are better players we can market. I don't think people are going to be cancelling their season tickets or refusing to go to the game since they can't see Nick hit singles.

Archived