Fangraphs: What are we missing about Nick Markakis?

Phantom

I think this is why the contract talks are going slow. He has a reputation' date=' and his agent wants to pay him off of that, but when GM"s look at the numbers, they don't add up to what he's asking for.[/quote']My understanding, after reading Sun reports, is that Os management once considered signing Nick for 4 years, but no longer wishes to sign him for more than 3 years. Basically, Os management is pulling back from their original offer.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My understanding, after reading Sun reports, is that Os management once considered signing Nick for 4 years, but no longer wishes to sign him for more than 3 years. Basically, Os management is pulling back from their original offer.

Clearly they've been reading their OH threads! Good work boys!

This article is entirely about on field value.I have to think the Orioles see him a bit differently.

They can market Nick Markakis.

The Orioles can sell tickets with him.

If they can keep him until he retires and the Orioles can keep on marketing him as the next Orioles lifer, put him in the team hall of fame and trot him out at events for the next 50 years.

There is value is all these things. I don't know how much. Probably not enough to warrant 4/50, but the Orioles must have some accountants who have quantified this.

There isn't a single family alive that is Griswold'ing it to Camden Yards to see Markakis slap opposite field singles and play steady defense. To the extent you are going to see players, it is superstars that do things on the field that excite you. But for the most part, people are going to see a winning team.

The only thing the stats don't show about Nick is this (and this is not me supporting signing him):

-Big scary flamethrowing bullpen arm on the hill, man on 3rd

-#8 hitter strikes out

-#9 hitter strikes out

-Nick pokes a single somewhere, scoring the runner

That's what the stats don't tell you. He's that guy that you have confidence in when everyone else is busy striking the eff out constantly.

I'm pretty sure they do have stats for that.

The only thing the stats don't show about Nick is this (and this is not me supporting signing him):

-Big scary flamethrowing bullpen arm on the hill, man on 3rd

-#8 hitter strikes out

-#9 hitter strikes out

-Nick pokes a single somewhere, scoring the runner

That's what the stats don't tell you. He's that guy that you have confidence in when everyone else is busy striking the eff out constantly.

I agree with this. For as much as the Hangout loves their OBP around here, I find it ironic that the one guy who consistently has good at bats gets so much grief and is not wanted back.

I agree with this. For as much as the Hangout loves their OPS around here, I find it ironic that the one guy who consistently has good at bats gets so much grief and is not wanted back.

But Dip, how much is a great approach worth if the end result is mediocre? Nolan has a great approach as well but he got released twice last year.

Sure it is more aesthetically pleasing to watch Nick then it is Adam but Adam gets better results.

I agree with this. For as much as the Hangout loves their OPS around here, I find it ironic that the one guy who consistently has good at bats gets so much grief and is not wanted back.

That's because it doesn't result in much production. We all complain about the lack of quality at bats from the team, because we believe it impacts the point of all this: offensive production. The idea is if the O's just had better at bats, they would have better production. But we don't believe quality at bats to be in themselves a good thing, they are simply a means that highly correlates to the desired end. Markakis' at bats don't correlate to that desired end, so they are of no use.

But Dip, how much is a great approach worth if the end result is mediocre? Nolan has a great approach as well but he got released twice last year.

Sure it is more aesthetically pleasing to watch Nick then it is Adam but Adam gets better results.

Well, since you brought it up, I'd sign Nolan back in a heartbeat! :D

All I was doing is answering the question posed in the OP. What people miss is that he has good ABs, period. It doesn't make him a better-than-average hitter, necessarily. It just means he can grind an AB and poke a single somewhere by going with the pitch. Almost no one else on the team has that ability. The end result is mediocre, but it comes in handy in tight spots sometimes.

I know, I was talking specifically to Dip there.

You know what sells tickets?

Winning games.

I would hazard a guess that the 2001 Orioles without Ripken but with 98 wins would have sold more tickets then they did with Ripken and 98 losses.

There isn't a single family alive that is Griswold'ing it to Camden Yards to see Markakis slap opposite field singles and play steady defense. To the extent you are going to see players' date=' it is superstars that do things on the field that excite you. But for the most part, people are going to see a winning team.[/quote']

Let me clarify.

The Orioles marketing department thinks it can sell tickets and merchandise with Nick Markakis.

Nothing replaces winning, but I'd be shocked to learn they don't think he has marketing value.

Again, its not an extra $5 million a year in value, but it is something he brings to the Orioles that he does NOT bring to another team.

Archived