Fangraphs: What are we missing about Nick Markakis?

Phantom

I'm like the Nick Markakis of OH posters. I don't post for much power, but I'll squib a decent one out every now and then in a tough spot.

Best post of the day.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me clarify.

The Orioles marketing department thinks it can sell tickets and merchandise with Nick Markakis.

Nothing replaces winning, but I'd be shocked to learn they don't think he has marketing value.

Again, its not an extra $5 million a year in value, but it is something he brings to the Orioles that he does NOT bring to another team.

I would be shocked if the Orioles marketing department thinks they could budge revenues 1% by leveraging the presence of Nick Markakis vice another random, but equivalent player. I would think the effect is so far down in the noise as to be unmeasurable.

I would be shocked if the Orioles marketing department thinks they could budge revenues 1% by leveraging the presence of Nick Markakis vice another random, but equivalent player. I would think the effect is so far down in the noise as to be unmeasurable.

I think the truth is probably more subtle than (1) fans come to the ballpark specifically to see Nick Markakis vs. (2) fans come out solely to see a team win and the identity of the players and the way the team treats its long-term veterans makes no difference.

tz says:

December 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Well, at least they only spent $1.6 on Jim Johnson SMH.

Ruben Amaro Jr., you now have competition for the most inept GM in the NL East cellar.

obsessivegiantscompulsive says:

December 3, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Well, they did trade for and sign Dan Uggla to a big contract too, so they must know something about signing up a player on the downside of his career who may or may not be good defensively at his position.

Of course, I didn’t say they knew something good about it…

Archived