Would you have signed Nick Markakis for 4/$44M?

MurphDogg

Would you have signed Nick for 4/$44?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Nick for 4/$44?

You might see one better if Dariel Alvarez plays for the O's this season. I hear it's off the charts.

Check this out, everyone. Remember where he's throwing the ball from and how quick it gets there. Accuracy isn't bad either.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=32759005&sid=milb

Wow - good call! Somehow I had barely heard of him before your post sent me a' Googling. Maybe that was Dan's plan all along. This kid looks pretty impressive offensively - and you're saying he's got a cannon arm??

I hope we play him instead of acquiring a costly free agent... And maybe put that money into some great defensive players and some more power off the bench... and maybe another piece in the bullpen.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't have gone four years period for Nick and I love the guy. I am just reading tea leaves but I think Nick taking the offer on a deadline from the Braves says something about his concern about his neck over the long haul. I truly believe DD will look like a genius on this one by 2016/2017. Nick's strength will become a huge issue in my opinion. I wish him the best though so I hope I'm wrong.

Btw, I live in Atlanta and the ball doesn't carry here as you would expect based on the altitude. I don't know why.

Also, Nick replacing Heyward won't go well with the urban population where the ballpark is currently located. If the Braves trade either / both Uptons, that will become more pronounced. I hope Nick doesn't regret this move. Things aren't good down here for the Braves right now and the last few years downtown could get ugly for a lot of reasons.

But they're moving to the suburbs in two years, right?

If it's true that the Os had an offer of 4 years 40 million abs he chose ATL and the extra 4 mill, I'm glad he left and hope he has his worse years of his career there.

I do appreciate all he did for the Os and the communtiy of Baltimore. I feel the Os have been loyal and fair to him his whole career and when he had the chance to repay the organization and fans he didnt. I for one kind of seen it as a slap in the face.

Now if the Os pulled the offer because of the neck concern then I wish him nothing but the best.

For the most part I think the Os have been good at making decisions since the Arrival of DD other than UJ, so I trust their decision making but still feel they should have retained Cruz.

I don't understand this line of thinking. If the Orioles weren't willing to even match the market for him... why on earth would he stay? "Hey, we want to pay you millions less and guarantee your contract for a year less. But we really like ya! What do you think, buddy?"

This could be Nick's final contract. He's been injured. He understands how short-lived a pro sports career can be. Like all players, he's one serious injury away from retirement.

I don't "blame" either side. It might be one of those win-win deals for both the Orioles and Nick.

We offered 4/40 in October and he balked because he was holding out for more money. That's on Nick, not the O's.

But I agree, I don't blame either side.

We offered 4/40 in October and he balked because he was holding out for more money. That's on Nick, not the O's..

In all fairness to Nick, I don't think we really have a good idea on this. It does sound like 4/40 was discussed/prsented but contract negotiations can be convoluted as they can often be presented as parameter, but not necessarily a formal offer. The information that sounds pretty concrete was the the 4th year was pulled off the table and our final offer may have been far less than Atlanta's.

But I agree, I don't blame either side

I'm with you here. Personally, i don't care if he left for 4 mil, 10 mil or he just wanted to go back to Atlanta. He has a right to free agency and to be happy.

We offered 4/40 in October and he balked because he was holding out for more money. That's on Nick, not the O's.

But I agree, I don't blame either side.

The possibility of him turning down 4/40 muddles it a bit for me. Sounds like DD might have thought twice about that offer... and decided it was too rich, given the circumstances with Nick's health, etc.

Either way, I hope Nick goes and crushes it in Atlanta... and whoever replaces him crushes it here. Thanks for the memories, Nicky! He takes his place alongside former O's like BJ Surhoff - very solid players who the fans and the city loved, but who - for various reasons - had to move on.

If you believe sources, they're are saying the O's offered $4M less than Atlanta, so Nick clearly valued the extra $4M over long term stability. Im glad he left. And Buck would have kept playing Nick 4 years from now, because of seniority or something.

The possibility of him turning down 4/40 muddles it a bit for me. Sounds like DD might have thought twice about that offer... and decided it was too rich, given the circumstances with Nick's health, etc.

Either way, I hope Nick goes and crushes it in Atlanta... and whoever replaces him crushes it here. Thanks for the memories, Nicky! He takes his place alongside former O's like BJ Surhoff - very solid players who the fans and the city loved, but who - for various reasons - had to move on.

Exactly. This isnt the O's fault it appears that Nick left. He wanted too much money and Im glad he got it somewhere else.

Archived