Okay so WHO do we spend the money on???

mskrulz

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$15M covers the QO to Cruz alone. Add another $10M for Markakis. I doubt it was an either/or situation with the two, nor do I think that was the end of our shopping list. Having said that, I don't think we'll add $25M to the 2015 payroll this offseason. Dan will hold back some cash for midseason moves.
I think in that case Davis was gone. I heard a national guy giving a lot of praise to Christian Walker.

DD's bigger and more challenging decisions will be what to do with the next group of Os who will be in their walk years in 2015...Chen, Norris, O'Day, Davis, Wieters. Does he try to extend or trade any or all of them this winter or during the year (a la JJ Hardy)? Looking at it right now (and recognizing this is a fluid situation) extending Chen, Davis (a risk but one with potential high payoff, I know) and trading Wieters after he shows he is healthy this spring and Norris, O'Day either this winter or before the deadline might be how it plays out. Thoughts?

DD's bigger and more challenging decisions will be what to do with the next group of Os who will be in their walk years in 2015...Chen, Norris, O'Day, Davis, Wieters. Does he try to extend or trade any or all of them this winter or during the year (a la JJ Hardy)? Looking at it right now (and recognizing this is a fluid situation) extending Chen, Davis (a risk but one with potential high payoff, I know) and trading Wieters after he shows he is healthy this spring and Norris, O'Day either this winter or before the deadline might be how it plays out. Thoughts?
My concern with Wieters is that he will bring back a pick and his production this season plus a pick may exceed a in season return. Your thoughts there?

My concern with Wieters is that he will bring back a pick and his production this season plus a pick may exceed a in season return. Your thoughts there?

You are probably right. Although if it becomes clear in spring training that Matt is healthy and ready to go, then you possibly could get a bigger return right then than the pick plus 2015 production rather than if you have to go through a portion of the season to see if Matt is truly healthy and can catch. But if his health is causing any delay, then obviously both his trade value and his 2015 production value might go down as would his free agent value. You wonder if Boras might be willing for Matt to sign a one year extension right now to let 2015 be his recovery year and 2016 his walk year.

The Orioles had a good team during 2014 and the reason being was Nelson Cruz. The Orioles had a little luck as to how he came to the team and the cost, he wanted to play baseball and signed for 8mil.Cruz had a exceptional first half and kept the O's in first place.The O's had exceptional year by other players which drove them to the playoff season.I just don't think you can replace two significant parts being Markakas and Cruz when the Winter Meetings for some teams started weeks ago.

Again the pickings to replace them are getting thin and to say a Melkey or a Upton was the plan would be panic.

Agree. I think Davis and Wieters are trade candidates mid-season if we are out of it, but I expect us to be in it and the new compensation rules make it less likely we would get bowled over.

Now if Boston wanted to give us Eduardo back? I'd let him go. It is to Scott Boras' advantage to get all three of our guys traded in season.

The Orioles had a good team during 2014 and the reason being was Nelson Cruz. The Orioles had a little luck as to how he came to the team and the cost, he wanted to play baseball and signed for 8mil.Cruz had a exceptional first half and kept the O's in first place.The O's had exceptional year by other players which drove them to the playoff season.I just don't think you can replace two significant parts being Markakas and Cruz when the Winter Meetings for some teams started weeks ago.

Again the pickings to replace them are getting thin and to say a Melkey or a Upton was the plan would be panic.

Chen, Norris, Wieters and Davis are in full new contract mode with Manny and Ubaldo reproving themselves. A lot of stars are aligning themselves again if we can stay relatively healthy.

An ace. All in for Sherzer.

Agree 100%! Got tired of seeing our #1 starter not being able to get past the 5th or 6th inning and using up our bullpen. I don't care what high priced free agents we sign or don't sign but if we don't get a starter that can give you a lot of innings this off season has been a bust.

Archived