What does Nick's departure say to the other players who we may want to retain?

Frobby

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wieters, Davis and Chen made the statement that it is all about the money by hiring Boras as their agent. We know what Boras is all about. Taking his clients to free agency and getting the biggest contract.

On the other side of thing the O's just extended 11 arbitration eligible players. Keeping the majority of the team together.

I will miss Nick. I am sure the players will to. But he got paid. He had the choice to take one year less like Hardy did. He chose his path.

I tend to think that guys like JJ and AJ are bound to be disappointed to see both Nick and Cruz gone. I think there is nothing wrong with them being concerned. As of right now, this team has lost two important cogs in the team that went to the playoffs last year no matter how much some want to diminish what they did or what their future value will be.

I do think however its all about results. If DD makes the right moves and supplements this team with the right guys who power this team to the playoffs again, then this will all be a distant memory. If however they do nothing substantial and the team ends up in 3rd or 4th place next year (not saying they will just saying IF) then I believe it festers some. Winning can cause amnesia, losing can cause you to have the memory of an elephant.

I am not doom and gloom because I do believe that DD will make some moves. I am concerned that the marketplace has very few players who are of the impact type and provide really good value. I do feel though if those guys are out there DD is likely to find them. Morse might be a guy who IMO if he can stay healthy hit you 20-30 HR's as a DH. Aoki is a guy who can come close IMO to approximating or doing a lot of what Nick gave this team. That should leave money to improve in other areas, be it depth, bullpen etc.

Fair enough. I do think Nick occupied a different spot than Johnson, Reynolds, or Roberts, and his departure has a bigger effect on the clubhouse than those others. I'm not suggesting it's catastrophic to this year's success or failure, but in business there is a correlation between productivity and a sense of loyalty and interconectedness. I certainly see it in my job.

As long as we were fair and honest with Nick (even if that seems brutal) that trumps any sense of loyalty on our part. Same goes for Nick and his side. I don't hold anything against Nick for taking the best offer on the table, even if it was just 4 millions dollars. I don't hold him to any higher standard than anybody else. All businesses are different and loyalty certainly has value, but you can't run yourself out of business because of it.

It tells me that if supposedly the Angelos boys are sitting in the big chair, they've gone Michael Corleone

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bo7zkd0kRS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For many years, it has been about the money, with the lone exception of 2014. If Jones was closer to free agency, I could see an impact. I think it's way too soon to start thinking where we are with Manny.

As long as we were fair and honest with Nick (even if that seems brutal) that trumps any sense of loyalty on our part. Same goes for Nick and his side. I don't hold anything against Nick for taking the best offer on the table, even if it was just 4 millions dollars. I don't hold him to any higher standard than anybody else. All businesses are different and loyalty certainly has value, but you can't run yourself out of business because of it.

I don't disagree with you on any of this.

Loyalty is a two-way street. They gave him a good offer. He could have accepted it. Most free agents don't re-sign with their team. Nick didn't either.

In fairness to Nick, a 3 year deal with AAV that is the same or less than the 4 year deal your being offered is not a good offer comparatively. No free agent wants to be paid their actual value.

The Orioles made him an offer that was likely very fair based on his current and potential future value. Being a free agent though is not about signing a contract that is fair its about getting a "Good" deal. The Braves offered him a good deal and he rightfully took it. I don't blame the O's for not extending a similar deal but in the same respect I would not expect Nick or you or me to accept 25% or more less than we could possibly get on the marketplace for our services.

Loyalty is a two-way street. They gave him a good offer. He could have accepted it. Most free agents don't re-sign with their team. Nick didn't either.

That's what i keep thinking too. If he truly wanted to stay in Baltimore he would have taken it. Couldn't he have played here for 3 years and if he played well get another year or two after that? I mean i can understand the guaranteed fourth year for sure, but it just seems like he would have stayed where he "wanted to play" if he had confidence in himself going forward. I guess it's all about t he $$$. Unless he was just so pissed at the lack of loyalty and questions about his neck that he said screw you guys.

IF the O's offered 4/40 and Nick took 4/45M from Atlanta then I would take issue with Markakis and comments he made previously. However there seems to be a lot of belief that 4/40 was either never offered or taken off the table.

Why would you take issue with Markakis for for taking 5 million dollars more? I could see a million, but 5 million? That is a lot of money, its 12.5% AAV and if the story is true the O's pulled that fourth year well that kinda seals the deal.

I make about a 100k a year, if someone credible with whom I can see myself working for offers me 112,500 there is a good chance I am going there to work. 12,500 is a lot of money to me and I bet that 5 million is a lot to Nick.

A couple thoughts:

Nick could have stayed .... it just turns out, in this instance, the Os were not going to be the high bidder.

Baseball is like any other business. We've all seen popular, previously (and currently) productive co-workers get let go all the time. It is depressing for a time, but everyone moves on - hopefully to bigger and better things - and often younger and cheaper alternatives fill the gap - sometimes better and sometimes worse.

This group was not going to be kept together forever or even three or four more years without dramatic ramp up in comp (especially with Machado and Tillman moving into bigger pay ranges soon). Nick is simply not that valuable a contributor anymore or projected into the future to earn the level of financial commitment that NICK AND HIS AGENT determined were necessary for him to stay.

Why would you take issue with Markakis for for taking 5 million dollars more? I could see a million, but 5 million? That is a lot of money, its 12.5% AAV and if the story is true the O's pulled that fourth year well that kinda seals the deal.

I make about a 100k a year, if someone credible with whom I can see myself working for offers me 112,500 there is a good chance I am going there to work. 12,500 is a lot of money to me and I bet that 5 million is a lot to Nick.

How much more do you think Hardy could have gotten if he became a free agent?

If the O's offered 4/40 and he took 4/45, that's not a lot, for someone who's already earned what he has. He stated earlier this year that it wasn't as much about the money as staying somewhere where he had roots (paraphrasing) and was happy. If 5M over 4 years, was the value he placed on that, then I think that's poor. JMO

Difference between you and Nick is that he should already be set for the rest of his life. Also factor in the fact that you have to pick up your family and move to another state.

And he did sign somewhere he has roots to be fair to Nick.

He grew up in Georgia, went to college there and owns a home not to far from where the new stadium is being built.

If we are being fair, he signed somewhere he had roots and got 5 million more for it. Its not like he picked his family up to move to Toronto for 5 million more. To me it would be akin to if a company you used to work for and were comfortable with offered you significant amount more to come back and work for them again....why not?

The big question is, was this offer taken off the table at some point? There are rumors it was. If it wasn't then this:

is a bunch of crap, IMO.

Think your being unfair to Nick.

He has roots in Georgia, as I said owns a home in North Atlanta. Its not like the Braves are some scrub organization. I love the O's but we are not the only good organization in baseball.

He has roots in Atlanta, if he was offered an additional year and a AAV that is higher why in gods name are people begrudging him taking that. He did not sign with the Yanks, Jays, Giants or other team. He signed for a team that he has a connection to the area with. Its consistent with that statement

Archived