TSN's Deveney's Take on Roberts-Cubs

dgroomes

Brian Roberts, 2B, Orioles. Should Baltimore make the Bedard trade official, Roberts likely will be dealt next. Two weeks ago, Cubs bigwigs (that would be general manager Jim Hendry and manager Lou Piniella, still a bigwig despite his much-publicized weight loss) pooh-poohed the notion of Roberts coming to Chicago and quashed rumors of a seven-for-two deal, the two being Roberts and Bedard. Ah, but rumors are persistent, and Cubs-Orioles talk continues. The hangup seems to be the inclusion of outfielder Felix Pie, whom the Cubs don't want to give up and the Orioles would seem to need less once outfielder Adam Jones arrives from Seattle. But it's hard to blame the Orioles for dreaming of a Nick Markakis-Pie-Jones outfield, and if the Cubs are looking to win now -- with Piniella under contract only through 2009, they should be -- including Pie for Roberts makes sense.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=348723

Can we get Deveney to join the Cubs front office? :)

Maybe we can flip one of our current OF's for a MLB ready SS or 2B prospect... wont happen... but its nice to know that there's one columnist out there that thinks a Roberts/ Pie deal should happen.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curious how Mr. Deveny proposes the Cubs "win now" without a CF.

If they include Pie, they can have Payton as a throw-in to play CF.

And Roberson...

And Redman...

And Terrero...

Who knows, maybe they are high on that Correy Patterson guy that I hear is a free agent...

:)

I thought Fuld could be a good player?

I could live with Fuld in CF and hitting 8th if the Cubs had two big upgrades elsewhere. One would have to be at SS, displacing Theriot.

Actually I'd like that a lot, depending on the SS.

For just Roberts, no thanks.

I could live with Fuld in CF and hitting 8th if the Cubs had two big upgrades elsewhere. One would have to be at SS, displacing Theriot.

Actually I'd like that a lot, depending on the SS.

For just Roberts, no thanks.

So, if it were Pie for Khalil Greene, you would be fine with Fuld in CF?

I wonder if a 3 way deal would work..Principle players being Peralta to the Cubs, BRob to the Indians and Pie to the Orioles.

Other players would be involved but this would be the basic premise.

So, if it were Pie for Khalil Greene, you would be fine with Fuld in CF?

I wonder if a 3 way deal would work..Principle players being Peralta to the Cubs, BRob to the Indians and Pie to the Orioles.

Other players would be involved but this would be the basic premise.

Yeah I'd be fine with losing Pie to add Roberts and Greene.

The Cubs would be much less interested in Peralta than Roberts, and you're asking for a guy that the Cubs won't give up for Roberts, so that three-way doesn't get anywhere.

Archived