Dan's Mistakes

Bahama O's Fan

If Nick had the QO with him he might sit out till July. No team was gonna sign him and give up a pick.

So the Braves were willing to sign him to a 4/44 deal, but the loss of a pick worth maybe $5M was going to make him totally unsignable? Wouldn't they just have adjusted their offer to something like 4/40?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan's first free agent signing was Wada, a $4M investment that never made the club.

I believe that if you aren't failing some of the time your strategy is sub-optimal. You're almost certainly leaving opportunities on the table for fear of failure. Like a really fast baserunner who's 13-for-13 stealing over a year.

An under-the-radar mistake that's been discussed here before was the trade of Pat Neshek to the A's in the middle of a playoff race in 2012 and only getting "cash considerations" in return.

Yeah, he was blocked at the big-league level, but Neshek had a 2.66 ERA in Norfolk that year, with 11 saves and 49 strikeouts, seven walks and one home run in 44 innings.

Some have claimed that giving the guy a shot to play for a team who could fit them onto their major league roster was the "nice" thing to do, but it should have been apparent that he was undergoing a career resurgence and deserved to be a part of the O's future plans.

Of course, his 2014 numbers with the Cardinals were ridiculously good.

An under-the-radar mistake that's been discussed here before was the trade of Pat Neshek to the A's in the middle of a playoff race in 2012 and only getting "cash considerations" in return.

Yeah, he was blocked at the big-league level, but Neshek had a 2.66 ERA in Norfolk that year, with 11 saves and 49 strikeouts, seven walks and one home run in 44 innings.

Some have claimed that giving the guy a shot to play for a team who could fit them onto their major league roster was the "nice" thing to do, but it should have been apparent that he was undergoing a career resurgence and deserved to be a part of the O's future plans.

Or maybe players are more willing to come to (and stay with) an organization that has shown it's willing to do good things for players.

He has been available twice since then. For Zero Money. Billy Beane passed too. So did all the other teams other than the Cardinals. Dan did him a favor and let him pitch, and collect a MLB check while preparing for the birth and death of his son. We had no room for him. We had O'Day.

Dan's first free agent signing was Wada, a $4M investment that never made the club.

Wada didn't work out for us at all, but he was pretty darn good with the Cubs, and he got himself another contract there, so it's not like Wada was a bust due to talent. Bad luck with the injuries when he was with the O's.

Andy McPhail did an amazing job with trades, but they usually took a long time. I believe there was an opportunity cost associated with those long cycles, plus I believe he left gaps here and there because there was stuff he just didn't get around to. Like not addressing shortstop for an entire off-season. Sins of omission.

We don't have that problem with DD. He has contingency plans that are four or five deep at every position. Is it always a front-line option? Not always. Does it always work? No. Is there another legit (near replacement level) option in line? Always. If Evan Meek stalls out you plug in Brad Brach.

If having so many contingency plans and acting quickly leads to a few mistakes but gives us a deeper more resilient roster... so be it.

Mistakes and "moves that didn't work out" are different things.

Here are his mistakes IMO:

-Let Neshek get claimed in 2012

-Signed Ubaldo to a 4 year deal

That's it. That's the list. I can't think of another move (regardless of the outcome) that was a clear MISTAKE in capital letters.

That's it. That's the list. I can't think of another move (regardless of the outcome) that was a clear MISTAKE in capital letters.

Yes, agreed... And Ubaldo in context wasn't a mistake. At the time we felt like we had to have a SP because we didn't know much about Norris or Gausman and didn't know if Chen and Gonzo would hold up or if Tillman would fully arrive. Fast-forward nine months and we've got six legit SP's, if you count Ubaldo. I file this one under 'doing what you have to do' not as a mistake... We knew the dollars and years were both reaches, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Back to the actual topic, it's pretty amazing that DD doesn't have hardly any real mistakes in all of the actions he takes.

Neshek was not claimed. He was traded for cash. As a courtesy.

Also considering Wada's performance with the Cubs last year - seems like he's capable of playing at MLB level.

Wada should have been given another contract, a smaller one, by Baltimore. It takes two years to recover from TJ. The CHC benefited and we did not.

Archived