Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Name 1 MLB team that hit gold with a rule 5 player in the last 5 years. Teams are a lot smarter now.

Why do you have to "hit gold?" If you get a useful player for $50,000 and he's not duplicating another player in your system, you're doing well and cashing in on another team's investment in developing the player.

Why do you have to "hit gold?" If you get a useful player for $50,000 and he's not duplicating another player in your system, you're doing well and cashing in on another team's investment in developing the player.

Amazing that he does not understand this.

Gold. Silver, Bronze, iron, and aluminum all have values.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/541718364616269824

Roch Kubatko @masnRoch ? 19 minutes ago

Chris Davis could play RF and Steve Pearce could play 1B. That's a possibility. But we're a long way from setting up roster. #orioles

If they end up moving Davis to RF, then I feel like they missed an opportunity to get LaRoche to play first with Pearce as a DH/1B/LF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB's Winter Meetings charity auctions will raise funds this year for LUNGevity in memory of Monica Barlow, the O's PR who died in Feb.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice gesture by MLB.

Pearce was a 1B in college and was drafted as a 1B. He has put up good defensive metrics at 1B. Davis has the stronger arm.

Buck likes Davis at 1B and considers Pearce an outfielder.

DRS and UZR people will tell you 1B aren't very meaningful. There's a metric for scoops but it isn't very reliable and I don't think either metric incorporates it.

I'd rather stick with CD at first and Pearce in the OF just based on experience. CD's been fine at first and has all of 300 innings in the outfield over his entire MLB career. None since 2012. I thought Pearce was swell out there last year and the metrics don't disagree (SSS granted) so why mess with it?

DRS and UZR people will tell you 1B aren't very meaningful. There's a metric for scoops but it isn't very reliable and I don't think either metric incorporates it.

I'd rather stick with CD at first and Pearce in the OF just based on experience. CD's been fine at first and has all of 300 innings in the outfield over his entire MLB career. None since 2012. I thought Pearce was swell out there last year and the metrics don't disagree (SSS granted) so why mess with it?

Dan Duquette mentioned that Chris Davis had a very strong arm today.

Archived