Should the Orioles have given Miller 4/$36M ?

TonySoprano

Should the O's have paid the man?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O's have paid the man?

• Yes, they should have been aggressive.
    • No way, bullpen arms are too unreliable year-to-year

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Other than the Rays, every other team has gotten a little bit better in the AL East. I know everyone loves DD and he has done a good job, but are we gonna just sit here and stand pat?

It feels reasonable to me. Of course some folks find it necessary to hold the team accountable. Some have even gone to the length to write a petition calling for the immediate resignation or termination of an executive. Whose head shall we call for?

Other than the Rays, every other team has gotten a little bit better in the AL East. I know everyone loves DD and he has done a good job, but are we gonna just sit here and stand pat?

Signing bad contracts might help the now, but it hurts you in the future. I'm fine with all of these teams grabbing their bad contracts that'll be hurting them in a few years.

I'm wondering if this was Dan's biggest blunder?

We should have kept Miller without a doubt. The guy was clutch.

I'm going to hate seeing him come out to shut down games against us in 2015 considering how many times we play those dirtbags in a season. I don't get the reluctance to sign proven guys. Miller wasn't a question mark, he put up the goods, which is why we traded away a solid pitching prospect in the first place.

What did he give us - 21 innings for a good prospect only to watch him go to one of our toughest rivals? That doesn't make sense at all.

DD is a master GM, no one can argue he isn't, but he's only human and prone to big mistakes from time to time. This was a huge mistake.

MSK

It is pretty clear that free agents get paid based on their PAST performance, not on what they actually deliver once they are signed.

Andrew Miller pitched as well as Andrew Miller is ever going to pitch in 2014, imho.

Nasty, filthy, yes indeed. But past is past. The question is whether he might pitch that well for the next four years (or even next year). And the experience with bullpen arms is that year to year is often a dicey business to predict.

I would have like to have had him in 2015 but not at 4 years/36.

I will go out on a limb here and predict that all of our departing free agents, Nick, Nelson and Andrew will perform significantly worse in 2015 than they did in 2014 for us.

This is absolutely the reason! Like Malike said, never more than 2 years for a reliever.

Yes, when a 5-6 inning SP is given millions and hailed as doing a great job to pitch so few innings per game, even going so far as to call such a start in many cases, a quality start, I say pay super relievers what the market has set. Much more wear and tear on a 200 inning/year arm than most relievers arms, especially one who can set up or close. After coming so close in 2014 with only part of our team available, it should be a no brainer to keep the team together for at least one more year, and try to win it all with that team. Now that team has been gutted, when keeping the three that have been let go, plus adding 1 or 2 relatively minor parts would have given that team a real shot in 2015. Hard telling when such another opportunity like that will come along.

A good starter goes 200 innings. A GOOD reliever goes 90. That's the difference.

A lot more people were okay with not signing Nick. 40% wanted to sign Miller for 4/36. I kind of get it.

I don't get it all. We are talking about a guy with negative lifetime WAR coming off a career year in which he had less WAR than Markakis. A lot of people on here are not logical and I have no idea how they come up with their,opinions.

Archived