Markakis takes out a two page ad in the Baltimore Sun

Going Underground

Wow, that's actually, by far, the best farewell to a team or city that I've ever read. The thanks to Buck and the fans was superbly expressed.

Thank you, Nick Markakis, for the quiet, but relentless determination you gave us all these years. I wish you great success with the new team.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I've read it. I doubt Nick personally wrote every word of it, but it certainly reflects his class and character. I'm going to miss him a lot. He's not quite Oriole royalty but he's the epitome of what i want an Oriole to be.

Considering he started it off by acknowledging he's a man of few words, I think we can say by and large it had Nick all over it. An absolutely classy gesture that Nick was in no way required to do, but clearly felt compelled to do. A great measure of class, something a select few didn't feel compelled to show when his departure was announced.

Wow, that's actually, by far, the best farewell to a team or city that I've ever read. The thanks to Buck and the fans was superbly expressed.

Thank you, Nick Markakis, for the quiet, but relentless determination you gave us all these years. I wish you great success with the new team.

I agree 100% I still remember Palemiro's letter in the Sun after his first departure, and Ed Reed's full page thank you when he left was great as well. This tops them all, it reflected Markakis and his personality perfectly, but also gave us hints of pure emotion from him we were never used to seeing. Perfection.

I agree with you. I'm going to miss the "Nick Markakis!" cheers.

Unbelievable it took us NINE years to do this, and only then in the playoffs.

I gotta say, barring a World Series in Baltimore, its going to be really hard to top those two home games we had against Detroit in the 2014 ALDS. The J....J.....HARDY and "Nick Mar-kak-is" chants were spontaneous, loud, and just all out fun. As a fan, I am going to miss Nick alot.

OK, I've read it. I doubt Nick personally wrote every word of it, but it certainly reflects his class and character. I'm going to miss him a lot. He's not quite Oriole royalty but he's the epitome of what i want an Oriole to be.
In general, the agents write these. It does not detract from the gesture.

Go figure, looks like we make 'em pretty classy here in Baltimore.

If you're like me and were not bothered to see Atlanta pick him up, my condolences if reading this doesn't make you slide a little closer to the back of the bandwagon. Can be easy to forget that character is the sixth tool.

One other thing about this letter. Trea and many others like to throw trade ideas around with these men like they are baseball cards. We dissect every little move these guys make on the field and criticize even the best of players. We take Superstars like Adam Jones and mock him every time he strikes out on a low and away slider.

What we so often forget is these players are men. They have families and feelings just like all of us. They have ups and downs, emotions, and family issues that effect their play on the field. And they still are the best in the world at a VERY difficult sport. And yet we sit back in our lazy boys and do nothing but criticize their every flaw, and discuss fantasy trades of them and their families like they are nothing but baseball cards.

I for one am embarrassed by some of my actions and comments regarding these men. I am ashamed that I let "baseball stats" get in the way of my true feelings, that being I am a fan of Nick Markakis and very much enjoyed watching him play for 9 years as a Baltimore Oriole. I wish him luck in Atlanta, I wish him and his family well, and I hope to see them around Baltimore like I have for 9 years!

Nick, it was a great gesture putting the letter in the Sun, but in reality, it is us who should be saying, "Thank YOU Nick Markakis!"

One other thing about this letter. Trea and many others like to throw trade ideas around with these men like they are baseball cards. We dissect every little move these guys make on the field and criticize even the best of players. We take Superstars like Adam Jones and mock him every time he strikes out on a low and away slider.

What we so often forget is these players are men. They have families and feelings just like all of us. They have ups and downs, emotions, and family issues that effect their play on the field. And they still are the best in the world at a VERY difficult sport. And yet we sit back in our lazy boys and do nothing but criticize their every flaw, and discuss fantasy trades of them and their families like they are nothing but baseball cards.

I for one am embarrassed by some of my actions and comments regarding these men. I am ashamed that I let "baseball stats" get in the way of my true feelings, that being I am a fan of Nick Markakis and very much enjoyed watching him play for 9 years as a Baltimore Oriole. I wish him luck in Atlanta, I wish him and his family well, and I hope to see them around Baltimore like I have for 9 years!

Nick, it was a great gesture putting the letter in the Sun, but in reality, it is us who should be saying, "Thank YOU Nick Markakis!"

I was just thinking something like this. It's easy to forget these are people we're discussing here and while I think that not extending Nick was the right move, I will certainly miss him in RF. Agree thank you, Nick, from your first hit to your redemption and being able to play for a pennant in 2014.

Archived