Alvarez and Walker

33rdst

After reading Steve Mejewski's interview with Dan Duquette, it seems that Alvarez and Walker may be playing more prominent roles for this team this year then we may have thought. Here's a quote from Duquette's interview regarding these prospects.

"We have a good talent base and we have a good farm system. The more I look at some of these outfielders, the better Dariel Alvarez and Christian Walker look to us. Because I think these guys are hungry and they are going to want to make a contribution to our team."

It might be that Duquette is thinking that Chris Davis may be playing a lot more right field then first base. Christian Walker will be playing some first base and Alvarez may provide a platoon option in right field. Steve Pearce will be the left field platoon with DeAza and also DH.

Duquette is not going to spend big dollars on free agents or offer long contracts. I think two years is his limit. ( just a guess) He likes that payroll flexibility. Apparently, this how we roll in Baltimore.

For more context you should read the entire interview on Masn. Steve does an excellent job.

I am sure that we may see Walker and Alvarez in the majors by mid season or after. I think bringing them up now is to show the other clubs and agents that the O's have another way to go.

Yep....exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure that we may see Walker and Alvarez in the majors by mid season or after. I think bringing them up now is to show the other clubs and agents that the O's have another way to go.

What kind of contracts do you think DD is prepared to offer in terms of years and dollars?

Why wouldn't DD say this? Why would he say something to the effect of, we have to get somebody somehow because we don't have much. He's posturing, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does say in the interview we have holes to fill at xyz positions.

What kind of contracts do you think DD is prepared to offer in terms of years and dollars?

One or two year contracts. Mostly one year. Trying to convince Delmon to take oneyear plus a option year. Maybe 3 or 4M. Morse would probably be a one year deal for 7 or 8m if he will DH. They don't want him in the outfield or at 1B.

The rightfielder may be a two year deal. Aoki for 2/14m maybe.

One or two year contracts. Mostly one year. Trying to convince Delmon to take oneyear plus a option year. Maybe 3 or 4M. Morse would probably be a one year deal for 7 or 8m if he will DH. They don't want him in the outfield or at 1B.

The rightfielder may be a two year deal. Aoki for 2/14m maybe.

I agree on Delmon and Morse but I tend to think it will be one or the other. Don't think he's giving Aoki 14million unless he frees up some payroll through a trade. Remember he also wants Breslow.

I agree on Delmon and Morse but I tend to think it will be one or the other. Don't think he's giving Aoki 14million unless he frees up some payroll through a trade. Remember he also wants Breslow.

Agree. Delmon or Morse not both. Breslow comes and Matusz goes. Its a wash or close to it.

I think Walker will get a really strong opportunity to make the mlb team. Once they brought him up and started his service clock this summer I think the intention was to see if he was at all out of place and in my opinion he acquitted himself well enough in his brief showing to see him as a guy in the plans for 2015.

I think Walker will get a really strong opportunity to make the mlb team. Once they brought him up and started his service clock this summer I think the intention was to see if he was at all out of place and in my opinion he acquitted himself well enough in his brief showing to see him as a guy in the plans for 2015.

Yeah I agree. Especially if they decide to use Davis in right field. Although, Buck has said, if the season started today Pearce would be his right fielder.

Archived