Is this a fair deal for the O's AND Cubs?

ChaosLex

As a Cubs fan, I could live with that deal given Payton can play 30-35 games in CF. Does he have the range to be able to do that still with two quick corner outfielders? It would be great to give Pie the day off when facing tough lefties.

You serious man? Gallagher/Murton/Veal/Cedeno/Marquis for Roberts? If Hendry made that deal he could forget about ever getting a square deal again. Every GM would know they can take advantage of him.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's my opinion that Roberts will remain an Oriole unless we get a young SS or 2B with a lot of upside in return.

Then the obvious question is - Do the O's think Cedeno and/or Patterson fit the description of a young SS and/or 2B with a lot of upside?

Is there anyway we get Patterson and Cedeno in a Roberts trade? If the Cubs get Roberts why do they need Patterson? What do you think about a Roberts and Payton for Murton, Cedeno, Patterson, and Gallagher? Too much quanitity and not enough quality?

Then the obvious question is - Do the O's think Cedeno and/or Patterson fit the description of a young SS and/or 2B with a lot of upside?

I would also like to hear your opinion on this Bigbird. Do you think we are looking elsewhere for this need?

And to the Cubs fans...Cedeno is a former top 100 prospect who had phenomenal numbers at AAA, but the drop off when he gets to the majors has been very substantial. What's the Cub fan perspective.

It's my opinion that Roberts will remain an Oriole unless we get a young SS or 2B with a lot of upside in return.

I hear what you are saying, but I think we'd be dumb to turn down the Gallagher, Murton, Cededno, Veal deal you mentioned.

That would give us plenty of pitching depth to deal from and acquire a middle infielder of value.

granted, Ray could go on the 60 day dl...and as far as I am concerned you could straight up cut Fahey. I just don't see much in the terms of a major league player in him.

If you're talking about how the O's could handle the 40 man roster with a net increase of 2 MLB players, then Ray does not count. You cannot put players on the 60 day DL until March.

Mods, if you don't feel like this deserves a separate thread, please, feel free to merge with one of the other Roberts-Cubs threads.

Baltimore gets Ronny Cedeno, Sean Gallagher, Jason Marquis, Matt Murton and Donnie Veal

Chicago gets Jay Payton and Brian Roberts

The Orioles would have to eat 2 years and $14 mil of Marquis' contract. Payton is a FA after this year and he is due about 4.5 mil I believe. That's a $9.5 Mil payroll increase over the next two years. If the rumored deal of Roberts for Murton, Cedeno, Gallagher, and Veal is true then you do not make the deal with Marquis. If we made a trade that included Murton, Payton would be our 5th outfielder and have little value. I would deal him to a team for a SS or 1B. If we could dump some of Gibbons contract then I would say swap players. Even though we would have Marquis for another year after the trade, pitchers can catch lightning in a bottle and be dealt at the deadline.

Mods, if you don't feel like this deserves a separate thread, please, feel free to merge with one of the other Roberts-Cubs threads.

Baltimore gets Ronny Cedeno, Sean Gallagher, Jason Marquis, Matt Murton and Donnie Veal

Chicago gets Jay Payton and Brian Roberts

Its a horrible idea!:002_scry:

I would also like to hear your opinion on this Bigbird. Do you think we are looking elsewhere for this need?

And to the Cubs fans...Cedeno is a former top 100 prospect who had phenomenal numbers at AAA, but the drop off when he gets to the majors has been very substantial. What's the Cub fan perspective.

I would think it would tale a player like Asdurbal Cabrera of Cleveland to get Roberts. The players the Cubs have to offer just don't fill our current needs.

We're also looking at 40 and 25 man roster issues. One thing for sure is we're not eatting big $$$ contracts. Now maybe AM can include Payton to the Cubs and be able to swing some talent in another trade. Tejada was a salary move for a declining player who was not happy. The Bedard trade brought in quality. You don't trade Roberts just to trade him. You have to fill a need in return and not just a stop gap need either.

How would you Cub fans feel about Roberts for Gallagher, Colvin, Cedeno, & Patterson?

Now that is a deal I really like. And I would certainly consider that one too. But it carries a lot of Risk. But if I had my way, I'd like a BRob and Payton trade for Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno, Patterson and Veal. Murton is a key guy for me. He is a lock to be a very solid ML hitter, he is already proven. The other 4 are all a risk to varying degree's, but they add depth to a rebuilding team like the O's. And Cedeno and Patterson add depth at positions we desperately need some depth at.

After yesterday, I've placed a moratorium on bashing MacPhail, Angelos, and the rest of the O's front office. Here's hoping I can stick to it! ;)

That being said, I think it's a big mistake if we turn down the rumored 4-1 deal that the Cubs are offering.

If bigbird's source is correct we have four prime pieces on the table right now for Roberts.

I was told this evening that the Cubs have a 4 player deal on the table of Gallagher, Murton, Veal and Cedeno for Roberts. Also a signing of Josh Fogg could happen pretty quick.[/b]

I'm not a big fan of Josh Fogg. Marquis is intriguing. He is the innings eater the Orioles are looking for. However, I'm concerned about his history of being a malcontent at both Atlanta and St. Louis. That said, if they are willing to accept Payton as part of the deal I'd do it.

Of course this all assumes that the sources' information is correct.

Archived