Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Norris, Chen, Gonzalez and Gausman just fell into his lap. Realize the team isn't scoring more runs than when Macphail was the GM. The improvements have been pitching and defense.

He didn't get anyone in 2013 off season. He won't pay for hitters. If you think he is going to get Kemp you are mistaken. Why take another teams terrible contract on? If you sign a bunch of injury prone guys long term you won't be able to pay for Guys you need to tie up.

Like Andrew Miller?

Can you please stop trolling me in every thread? You think they're the most amazing team ever regardless of personnel, we've established that. I like when the Orioles are good and wish the team cared as much as most people do and tried to improve instead of cost cutting and bargain bin junk, we've established that. There's nothing left to discuss.

I thought Weams' post was sympathetic. I've never felt you were being trolled by him or anyone else, although I'm sure you're on a few Ignore lists.

Is very frustrating. I hop on trade rumors and see other teams making moves and see Padres are the most likely candidates to get Kemp. Ok, thats fine because.im not high on wanting him anyway. Then I see Indians acquire Moss. That's a bigger blow considering he could have played 1B and RF. I don't know what the Indians gave up but still. But that's not the worst.

I scroll down and see we are in talks with Rasmus and Aoki and I almost cried. Then I thought this team was a Nelson Cruz sighing elsewhere from finishing 2nd or 3rd in a division that was probably at its worst last year than ever before.

I just think DD is getting too much credit from some of you. I think a lot of things fell into his lap. Like the signing of Cruz for example. The one thing that brought him here was the opportunity to play the field. Well considering at the time the Os still had no idea who would be playing LF, it wasn't that hard of a sell.

A lot of time left before this final roster is set but I'm not feeling too optimistic about where this team will be come May.

Oh great. Team won the East. Got into the playoffs and you aren't happy

because no deals have been made. Geez

Oh great. Team won the East. Got into the playoffs and you aren't happy

because no deals have been made. Geez

It really is ridiculous. We have seen for 3 years that Dan knows what he's doing and knows how to build a team, and we have consistently seen big money contract after big money contract blow up in team's faces around the league, yet STILL, people complain that we aren't making any big moves, and say Dan got lucky with some of his signings and Peter is a cheapskate. I just don't understand the logic.

Norris, Chen, Gonzalez and Gausman just fell into his lap. Realize the team isn't scoring more runs than when Macphail was the GM. The improvements have been pitching and defense.

He didn't get anyone in 2013 off season. He won't pay for hitters. If you think he is going to get Kemp you are mistaken. Why take another teams terrible contract on? If you sign a bunch of injury prone guys long term you won't be able to pay for Guys you need to tie up.

Gonzalez, Norris, and Chen did the opposite of fall into his lap. He had to sign Chen for an extremely reasonable deal to be a starting pitcher when many teams probably also wanted him while others didn't think of him as a starter. That was a risk. Gonzalez was brought in by a scout he brought to the organization. Norris was a gutsy trade, Hader could turn into something useful for the Astros.

Offense is down significantly from when MacPhail was GM, so just looking at runs scored doesn't tell you much. In MacPhail's tenure we never even came close to scoring as many runs as we gave up. In Duquette's tenure we've scored more than we've given up all 3 years.

This is the hardest time of the year for us, obviously. You basically get to watch other teams open their presents already, but are told you need to wait until February to open yours. But if your parents (being the savvy shoppers that they are) wait a little bit while people outbid each other on Ebay for all the hard-to-find hottest toys, they might find some great bargains and in the process you find yourself well-rewarded for your patience with the limited budget your folks have to work with.

Is very frustrating. I hop on trade rumors and see other teams making moves and see Padres are the most likely candidates to get Kemp. Ok, thats fine because.im not high on wanting him anyway. Then I see Indians acquire Moss. That's a bigger blow considering he could have played 1B and RF. I don't know what the Indians gave up but still. But that's not the worst.

I scroll down and see we are in talks with Rasmus and Aoki and I almost cried. Then I thought this team was a Nelson Cruz sighing elsewhere from finishing 2nd or 3rd in a division that was probably at its worst last year than ever before.

I just think DD is getting too much credit from some of you. I think a lot of things fell into his lap. Like the signing of Cruz for example. The one thing that brought him here was the opportunity to play the field. Well considering at the time the Os still had no idea who would be playing LF, it wasn't that hard of a sell.

A lot of time left before this final roster is set but I'm not feeling too optimistic about where this team will be come May.

No matter who our GM is, we've generally been the guys that pick over whomever's left after most teams improve. It's been that way for a LOOOOONG time. I've stopped criticizing that because it angers a lot of the sabermetricians here for some reason, but if you plan on following the Orioles during the offseason in the future, please realize that they RARELY make significant moves before January. I don't know why they do this, but it's a serious pain in the @$$ to watch year after year.

What bothers me this time around is that some folks expect DD to find another Nelson Cruz out there for dirt cheap who will have an amazing year like Cruz did in 2014. It's not going to happen. The guys like that aren't available as FAs this time around. So we're going to sit back and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait until most of the decent players have been traded or signed and then try to fill our holes with dumpster refugees.

Try not to let it get to you, it happens every single year.

MSK

You both are looking at this the wrong way. MSK, every single year makes it seem like each of the last 17 years have been identical. They have not. The O's are not the Yankees or Redsox and probably will never be. But saying that the Orioles simply pick over what is left after other teams have improved is such a sloppy statement I am surprised it has not been picked up on.

If that line were true, then I do not see how in the world the Orioles could have gone from 14 losing seasons to three winning seasons, 2 playoff teams and one Division Winner. You are essentially saying that the Orioles have succeeded by being cheap, stupid and lucky. Worse than that, the statement if true would require the most ridiculously bad luck ever for other teams to fail after doing so much early and aggressive work to improve and yet still finish behind us.

The O's have been making progress for years as a smart fiscally sound organization. That work started with AM and continues today. The Orioles were just rewarded by having both the manager and GM recognized for outstanding work. That doesn't happen because the Orioles are picking over what is left after most teams improve. It's lazy to characterize it as such.

PA724_Oriole, take a breath, relax, it's a long off season. Feel free to remain skeptical of DD and his goals. He may kick tires on Kemp, Akoi or others, but I think you can rest assured that he is not going to run out and grab Garrett Atkins before anyone else can get him. There is work to do, for sure and 2015 will be a challenge.

However, the organization is in a position to make moves, or trades to improve. Now, or even later and there is talent coming that can also help. If you cannot see that as a deliberate decision you fail to understand how it is that a run of 14 losing seasons in a row were stopped. Toronto "won" the offseason last year. How did that go? Oakland and Detroit "won" the Trade deadline this year. How did that go?

Archived