Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It appears the Chicago White Sox's have signed Samardzija and David Robertson I don't think this is a large market team?

Even with them they're still behind the Orioles in payroll in 2015. Now we can talk about how the Orioles have spent it.

It appears the Chicago White Sox's have signed Samardzija and David Robertson I don't think this is a large market team?

The "large market" argument was something used to justify the Orioles' famous/notorious lack of movement during the winter meetings and offseason during the Flanny/J. Duquette/MacPhail era. No matter what other teams did to improve, small or large market, there was contingent on the OH who chalked everything up to the fact that the Orioles are a poor, broke, impoverished "small" market team.

We COULD trade for better players at any time, but the prevailing wisdom still seems to be that we must wait until all the good players are off the table and then search through the scraps.

Like I said before, it took me years to adjust to this mindboggingly stupid way of operating.

MSK

The "large market" argument was something used to justify the Orioles' famous/notorious lack of movement during the winter meetings and offseason during the Flanny/J. Duquette/MacPhail era. No matter what other teams did to improve, small or large market, there was contingent on the OH who chalked everything up to the fact that the Orioles are a poor, broke, impoverished "small" market team.

We COULD trade for better players at any time, but the prevailing wisdom still seems to be that we must wait until all the good players are off the table and then search through the scraps.

Like I said before, it took me years to adjust to this mindboggingly stupid way of operating.

MSK

The facts continue to say otherwise, but you are entitled to your opinion. I just need to point out that it is wrong. Completely. ;)

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been away from OH for awhile but quite frankly shocked at the tone of the entire board. I am totally disgusted we did not resign both Cruz and Markakis. We are not a small market team and let's face it, we have cheap ownership. Taking risk is part of price of doing business. Markakis should be an Oriole plain and simple!

MSK

We have won for three seasons with everyone saying we were cheap skates and losers. I think I 'll gamble on more of the same. Disgust? That is saved for the tail end of a 15 year losing run. Not with the second best record in all of baseball over the last three years. Everyone that wants to debate that can slink away quietly right now.

We have won for three seasons with everyone saying we were cheap skates and losers. I think I 'll gamble on more of the same. Disgust? That is saved for the tail end of a 15 year losing run. Not with the second best record in all of baseball over the last three years. Everyone that wants to debate that can slink away quietly right now.

Who's debating the past success? The debate is why won't the Orioles put up the money to put them over the top. Im sorry I'm not happy with just being "competitive" even after the long string of losing seasons. I'm sure I'll be told I'm not a real fn or go root for another team now.

My point is that the Orioles don't move to improve swiftly. That's usually true and been true for a very long time.

When did we sign Nelson Cruz? February 24, 2014.

When did Seattle sign him? December 4, 2014.

The Cubs, Red Sox, White Sox, Seattle and Blue Jays have not sat still in improving themselves. Two of those teams mentioned are in OUR division, and we're going to play the White Sox and Seattle several times this season.

All I know is that when I go to a banquet, I like getting my food while it's fresh instead of waiting until after everyone else has picked over everything.

You were here during the dark times, so you know how slow we move. I don't understand what the disagreement is about.

MSK

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been away from OH for awhile but quite frankly shocked at the tone of the entire board. I am totally disgusted we did not resign both Cruz and Markakis. We are not a small market team and let's face it, we have cheap ownership. Taking risk is part of price of doing business. Markakis should be an Oriole plain and simple!

Well, according to Deadspin, we started last year with the 15th highest payroll, but I wouldn't be surprised if that went up during the season after adding Miller, De Aza, Johnson, and Hundley.

In 2013 we also started with the 15th highest payroll, but that definitely went up with the acquisitions of Norris, Feldman, and K-Rod.

15th is alright with me. Not great, but I'm not going to get upset about middle of the pack. We are a mid-market team. Sitting in the middle with Atlanta and Milwaukee is about what I'd expect.

This article has the Orioles guaranteed + projected arbitration 2015 salary at 12th. As in, without Markakis and Cruz our payroll is still 12th in the league. Nobody below them has caught up since the article was written as far as I can see.

People complaining about payroll right now either don't understand the situation or have unreasonable expectations.

Who's debating the past success? The debate is why won't the Orioles put up the money to put them over the top. Im sorry I'm not happy with just being "competitive" even after the long string of losing seasons. I'm sure I'll be told I'm not a real fn or go root for another team now.

I think you are a real fan. I think this same process gave us the recent past. We have to be happy with being competitive. It's all any fan really gets.

I am starting to think the money was never there to begin with. Meaning just because they don't spend $20-$40 million on payroll for 2-3 of those players, does not mean if not mean when none of them sign, they use it on other free agents. I will be honest, after the big season, doubted this initially and figured the money was there for one or two big signings of our own players or free agents.

Now however, I am thinking the Orioles never planned on spending the money from the start unless one of those 3 were going to take way undervalued deal. Instead, now they are trying to find undervalued players who may end up like Young/McClouth/Cruz (dumpster diving). The problem is, this does not seem like an off season where you lay in the brush, and find Nelson Cruz for $8 Million in Feb. None of the players I see tossed about seem like good salary values, or upgrades over the people they let walk. We can resign Delmon Young...but now he is not such a value. Trade for a salary dump in Marlon Byrd..not really an upgrade of value over Markakis.

Worst part is, likely somewhere in Orioles budgeting, they figure money saved is going into the Hardy deal since his salary doubled.

Well, according to Deadspin, we started last year with the 15th highest payroll, but I wouldn't be surprised if that went up during the season after adding Miller, De Aza, Johnson, and Hundley.

In 2013 we also started with the 15th highest payroll, but that definitely went up with the acquisitions of Norris, Feldman, and K-Rod.

15th is alright with me. Not great, but I'm not going to get upset about middle of the pack. We are a mid-market team. Sitting in the middle with Atlanta and Milwaukee is about what I'd expect.

This article has the Orioles guaranteed + projected arbitration 2015 salary at 12th. As in, without Markakis and Cruz our payroll is still 12th in the league. Nobody below them has caught up since the article was written as far as I can see.

People complaining about payroll right now either don't understand the situation or have unreasonable expectations.

And other than Jones and Hardy, no real big dollar commitments past 2015. The guys getting the big arbitration raise this year, will most likely be gone next year. So that reasoning doesn't fly imo.

Archived