After losing Nick & Nellie and standing pat at the Winter Meetings, O's still the best in AL East

mdbdotcom

Boston that is.

They get Sherzer or Shields, then what, because we know the Os aren't.

Someone is going to regret signing Scherzer. He's looking for a 200 mil+ contract. I wouldn't be mad if the Sox are stuck with that contract 4-5 years from now. Shields is a guy who eats innings but he's basically just an above average pitcher and he's 33.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone is going to regret signing Scherzer. He's looking for a 200 mil+ contract. I wouldn't be mad if the Sox are stuck with that contract 4-5 years from now. Shields is a guy who eats innings but he's basically just an above average pitcher and he's 33.

Jeremy Guthrie.

Gotta fill a few holes, though. Not necessarily with huge acquisitions. I'm confident Dan will take care of it.

That said, every season is different. Just look at Boston's yo-yo ride the last three seasons. Our core remains very good, but you never know who gets hurt and for how long, and who just has a lousy year. You simply cannot count on Wieters, Machado and Davis all coming through while nobody else gets hurt or falters. That's not how it works.

Or bank on Steve Pearce having another 2014 type season when he'd not done that before.

It was before the Pirates snatched Bastardo out from underneath us. It was supposed to go, Batardo to us, Matusz to the Pirates, Snider to us. I do not know who we were giving up for Bastardo.

Hmm.. Well hopefully we still go for Snider, the more I look at his numbers the better I like him. Better then Markakis and Aoki last year

I doubt they regret it in 2015.

I truly believe Boston was not a yoyo. Just extremely lucky in 2013.

I think the story is more complicated than that. They had a ridiculous number of injuries in 2012, plus the morale hangover from the 2011 collapse, plus the Bobby Valentine move backfired terribly. In 2013, they were much healthier, they were much happier under Ferrell, and they pretty much batted 1.000 with their 3-4 high-profile acquisitions and several role players had very good years. In 2014, they decided to replace some very good veterans with younger players who proved not to be as ready as they had hoped, and almost every player on the team had a worse year than in 2013.

For 2015, they have some work to do on the pitching side if they want to contend, but their everyday lineup should be good. It's too soon to forecast their season until we see how the pitching is addressed, but I certainly doubt they'll be a doormat in 2015.

I think the story is more complicated than that. They had a ridiculous number of injuries in 2012, plus the morale hangover from the 2011 collapse, plus the Bobby Valentine move backfired terribly. In 2013, they were much healthier, they were much happier under Ferrell, and they pretty much batted 1.000 with their 3-4 high-profile acquisitions and several role players had very good years. In 2014, they decided to replace some very good veterans with younger players who proved not to be as ready as they had hoped, and almost every player on the team had a worse year than in 2013.

For 2015, they have some work to do on the pitching side if they want to contend, but their everyday lineup should be good. It's too soon to forecast their season until we see how the pitching is addressed, but I certainly doubt they'll be a doormat in 2015.

I predict Tampa to fall there this year.

Red Sox made a lot of splashes but their starting pitching still isn't much.

Yankees are still trying to put a team together.

Blue Jays need pitching.

Rays are the Rays.

The O's still have excellent defense, good pitching, and a lineup that will score runs. They are the most balanced team in the division and have a solid group of players who have been together for a few years now and enjoy playing together.

They have a few holes to fill, but nothing major. And, the O's still have money to spend.

Lookin' good!

Shame on you, this is no place for sanity or the truth. :smile11:

It was before the Pirates snatched Bastardo out from underneath us. It was supposed to go, Batardo to us, Matusz to the Pirates, Snider to us. I do not know who we were giving up for Bastardo.
That gives us a pretty good idea of what they are trying to do. Would have been a good deal

Archived