Darren O'Day must have enjoyed the Astros' signings yesterday....

Frobby

So is Matusz. Basically our whole team is. Meet your 2016 Baltimore Orioles

Tillman,Gausman,Gonzo,Ubaldo,?

Britton,Brach,Mac,?,?,?,?

Lough,Jones,?,Machado,Hardy,Schoop,?,Joseph,?

Flaherty,?,?,?

I don't know why but it excites me. Especially if we keep DD in our front office.

If the season seriously nose dives this year, clubs will come calling for help prior to the deadline. I don't want it to turn out bad but if it does we have several guys on one year deals that we probably wouldn't re-sign anyway, and my hope is that they can net young controllable guys to further help our farm. I do like farms.

My point is (and it probably shouldn't be here in this thread, but) there is a silver lining to a bad year because if the expiring contracts we may not intended in renewing. Parlay these guys (if they are intent in FA) for positional players who can contribute more than the value of the QO compensation.

Until they start winning, the Astros are playing with "Confederate money." They made Miller the best offer but he wanted to pitch for a contender. These guys took advantage of Houston's need to overpay. Their contracts may have set a benchmark for teams with losing records, but I'm not sure it will do much to the market in general. We'll see next year.

The White Sox paid a pretty high price for Zachary Duke, who was on a MiLB last year I think.

Archived