Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

I wonder if Angelos is posturing to get the best deal from the Blue Jays. If he says he's willing to let DD go and they can work out the compensation later, he's lost the negotiation. The best way to get great compensation is to force the Blue Jays to make an offer he can't refuse by continuing to insist that he won't let Duquette go.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or this is much ado about nothing. Because it seems that not having DD hasn't stopped the Blue Jays from making plenty of moves. Honestly, if this was going to happen - it probably would have happened by now.

DD wouldn't be the General Manager of the Blue Jays, he'd be President and CEO. They want to replace Beeston, not Anthopolous.

Hmm, it appears that I'm more out of the loop than I thought I was. Can you (or someone else?) please give me some details on how MLB is trying to pressure PA into letting Dan go? What is MLB's interest in the matter, anyway? Why does MLB care if our ownership wants their guy to stick by his contract? Why wouldn't MLB be in favor of a contract being upheld (much less actually against it)?

These are excellent questions. The answers to which can not be easily found. I think there's much more to this story then is being reported. MLB's interest in this is tied to the MASN MLB dispute. One can only guess as to their motivation for getting involved in a team's internal matters. And you make an excellent point, why isn't MLB trying to protect the cotratural interests of one of its franchises. My question is why isn't Rosenthal pursuing this angle? The fact that he is an employee of MLB creates a huge conflict of interest.

I wonder if Angelos is posturing to get the best deal from the Blue Jays. If he says he's willing to let DD go and they can work out the compensation later, he's lost the negotiation. The best way to get great compensation is to force the Blue Jays to make an offer he can't refuse by continuing to insist that he won't let Duquette go.

I doubt it! Angelos is as stubborn a person as you'd ever meet. It seems he's dug in...How many times in the past has he changed his mind about anything? He doesn't have to agree to let Dan leave until he gets a suitable offer if there is one.

My question is ...If not Angelos who is negotiating on behalf of the Os?

I doubt it! Angelos is as stubborn a person as you'd ever meet. It seems he's dug in...How many times in the past has he changed his mind about anything? He doesn't have to agree to let Dan leave until he gets a suitable offer if there is one.

My question is ...If not Angelos who is negotiating on behalf of the Os?

I didn't say he would change his mind. I said he's been posturing.

DD wouldn't be the General Manager of the Blue Jays, he'd be President and CEO. They want to replace Beeston, not Anthopolous.

Yes, but he would be in a position to make final financial allocations and, honestly, he would have a hand in player personnel as well - why else would they covet Duquette so much if it wasn't for his talent in that regard? If they didn't want to give him a personnel role they could find any fiduciary-minded dude or lady to run it.

Duq has been able to do in Baltimore what they haven't done in Toronto.

Yes, but he would be in a position to make final financial allocations and, honestly, he would have a hand in player personnel as well - why else would they covet Duquette so much if it wasn't for his talent in that regard? If they didn't want to give him a personnel role they could find any fiduciary-minded dude or lady to run it.

Duq has been able to do in Baltimore what they haven't done in Toronto.

That still doesn't back up your earlier statement that they don't need DD cause they are dealing anyway. It's not like they stopped functioning because they want DD to be in charge.

If I might jump into the rampant speculation party:

TOR approaches Angelos about DD

Angelos rebuffs them

TOR leaks to the media during the Winter Meetings, distraction.

Angelos continues to rebuff them (he does not want to give up his employee who is under contract)

TOR goes to MLB,

MLB tries to use this as leverage against Angelos in the MASN dispute

Angelos does not want to lose his employee

MLB states that Baltimore is a front-runner for the 2016 All-Star game

Angelos refuses to let DD go

MLB drops Baltimore from the running opting for SD

Angelos has every right to want to keep a respected employee that he considers very valuable. Anyone, outside of DD himself, actively pressuring him to change his mind is, frankly, kinda crappy.

That still doesn't back up your earlier statement that they don't need DD cause they are dealing anyway. It's not like they stopped functioning because they want DD to be in charge.

How does it not? I'm saying that this whole story is being blown out of proportion. People are actually worried that DD would sandbag the Orioles if he is not let go? The Jays are humming along just fine without DD. My whole argument is that this really isn't as big a story as people are making it out to be. That if this was really going to happen, it would have happened by now.

Or we would be hearing about possible compensation offers, the back-and-forth would leak. As of now we have gotten a leaked rumor in December, then nothing for a month, then this. All throughout Angelos has flatly said that he does not intend to let DD go.

If there is REALLY high-level negotiations going on behind the scenes, then Toronto is freaking stupider than I thought. There is no way you give up any kind of A-level player for a FO guy. There is no way that Toronto would give up the types of guys that the Orioles would want for negotiations to be going on this long.

Archived