Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

If I might jump into the rampant speculation party:

TOR approaches Angelos about DD

Angelos rebuffs them

TOR leaks to the media during the Winter Meetings, distraction.

Angelos continues to rebuff them (he does not want to give up his employee who is under contract)

TOR goes to MLB,

MLB tries to use this as leverage against Angelos in the MASN dispute

Angelos does not want to lose his employee

MLB states that Baltimore is a front-runner for the 2016 All-Star game

Angelos refuses to let DD go

MLB drops Baltimore from the running opting for SD

Angelos has every right to want to keep a respected employee that he considers very valuable. Anyone, outside of DD himself, actively pressuring him to change his mind is, frankly, kinda crappy.

DD situation has nothing to do with All-Star game not coming to Baltimore. I would say the MASN situation and the fact that MASN is getting emails from the current commissioner to use in the court case has everything to do with it. Plus the tampering by the Blue Jays being allowed to occur is because of the MASN dispute.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing is for sure. This isn't just Rosenthal making things up. Richard Justice was on MLB last night talking about it as if it were fact as well.

If Roch is saying people inside the Orioles organization say the situation is toxic I would believe something is going on. Roch is pretty much the Orioles spokesperson and woudn't say anything that the Orioles did not want to get out.

How does it not? I'm saying that this whole story is being blown out of proportion. People are actually worried that DD would sandbag the Orioles if he is not let go? The Jays are humming along just fine without DD. My whole argument is that this really isn't as big a story as people are making it out to be. That if this was really going to happen, it would have happened by now.

Or we would be hearing about possible compensation offers, the back-and-forth would leak. As of now we have gotten a leaked rumor in December, then nothing for a month, then this. All throughout Angelos has flatly said that he does not intend to let DD go.

If there is REALLY high-level negotiations going on behind the scenes, then Toronto is freaking stupider than I thought. There is no way you give up any kind of A-level player for a FO guy. There is no way that Toronto would give up the types of guys that the Orioles would want for negotiations to be going on this long.

General manager is more important than one prospect. But I would not hire a guy who is willing to cause a team all sorts of problems by leaving with 4 years on his contract. If he does it once he will do it again.

One thing is for sure. This isn't just Rosenthal making things up. Richard Justice was on MLB last night talking about it as if it were fact as well.

Roch stated he thinks the story has legs and there are internal rumors of discussions with the Blue Jays. He believes they have not reached the owner yet.

I am confused on some aspects.

1. Doesn't Toronto already have someone holding this position? Is he retiring? Have they informed him they intent to fire him?

2. How do they know for sure they want DD? Have they done any interviews? What if we let him go, they interview him and are turned off and want to hire someone else?

Or Weams!

By that he meant any meaningful details have not reached the owner yet, not that discussions are happening. He did not mention the quotes from PA but he did mention DD'S silence on the matter when he could be the one to easily diffuse it.

The most telling thing to me is that Duquette has not made a strong statement like, "I'm an Oriole and I will be an Oriole for as long as Mr. Angelos wants me" or something similar. The lack of a statement by Duquette strongly suggests that he is very interested in the position and wants his name to remain attached to the position. I think that's probably the "toxin" Roch referenced.

1. Paul Beeston is the current CEO. He's either retiring or being eased out.

2. This is the part I seem to be in the minority on. If the two teams are discussing compensation, I think it's way past the "We'd like to interview him for the job" stage. Duquette is their top choice. You don't get to this point unless talks have already happened. JMO

Has Toronto made public what is happening with Beeston? Or are they keeping that close to their chest?

I just wonder if Toronto hasn't even interviewed Dan yet (which they legally can't, I think) and they pay compensation and he gets in the room and totally does something to tick them off or goes against a major principle of theirs, what happens?

Has Toronto made public what is happening with Beeston? Or are they keeping that close to their chest?

I just wonder if Toronto hasn't even interviewed Dan yet (which they legally can't' date=' I think) and they pay compensation and he gets in the room and totally does something to tick them off or goes against a major principle of theirs, what happens?[/quote']

I am sure they have interviewed him.

The most telling thing to me is that Duquette has not made a strong statement like, "I'm an Oriole and I will be an Oriole for as long as Mr. Angelos wants me" or something similar. The lack of a statement by Duquette strongly suggests that he is very interested in the position and wants his name to remain attached to the position. I think that's probably the "toxin" Roch referenced.

I would rather he keep quiet than come out and say that and in a month he goes to Toronto. Better to keep quiet than to lie about it. I have no problem with him being interested in the job. It's a promotion with a larger salary, all of us would be interested if another company offered something like that to us, but it doesn't mean we would definitely leave. Right now, he can't even interview to see what the pay is, what his responsibilities would be, power structure, etc...

I would rather he keep quiet than come out and say that and in a month he goes to Toronto. Better to keep quiet than to lie about it. I have no problem with him being interested in the job. It's a promotion with a larger salary' date=' all of us would be interested if another company offered something like that to us, but it doesn't mean we would definitely leave. Right now, he can't even interview to see what the pay is, what his responsibilities would be, power structure, etc...[/quote']

Not all of us would be interested in that. For example, Ernie Decosta. I would not leave my current job for a better title and more money and have to move to another city. If I had just signed a contract I would not try and get out of it. Especially if I were out of work for 10 years and someone believed in me and gave me an extension right away.

From the Toronto Star:

Whether it be this year or next or some other time down the road, if the Jays hope to hire Duquette before 2019, they will have to trade for him, just as the Red Sox did to acquire former Jays manager John Farrell.

Olney has previously opined that with four years remaining on Duquette’s contract in Baltimore, the Orioles could demand “extraordinary compensation” from Toronto. Specifically, he suggests one or two of the following players: Marcus Stroman, Aaron Sanchez and Daniel Norris (three of the club’s most promising young starting pitchers); Jeff Hoffman and Max Pentecost (the Jays’ 2014 first-round draft picks); or 18-year-old Dominican shortstop Richard Urena.

Even one of those players would seem an extraordinary ask, especially considering that the most recent precedent for executive trades was the Chicago Cubs poaching of former Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, for which they sent marginal reliever Chris Carpenter to Boston. Carpenter has pitched just six big-league innings in the two years since the trade.

But Duquette has four years remaining on his contract, where Epstein had one. And perhaps more important to the compensation question is the fact that the Jays and Orioles are division rivals. That makes any potential deal for Duquette unprecedented.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2015/01/14/orioles-gm-dan-duquette-to-replace-blue-jays-ceo-paul-beeston.html

Not all of us would be interested in that. For example, Ernie Decosta. I would not leave my current job for a better title and more money and have to move to another city. If I had just signed a contract I would not try and get out of it. Especially if I were out of work for 10 years and someone believed in me and gave me an extension right away.

Okay dude, don't be pedantic. What he means is that it is perfectly reasonable for an individual to want a promotion. DD isn't out of line by reasonable standards.

Archived