Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember when the Orioles were a joke for hiring this guy?

And wasn't it Rosenthol leading the charge about what a terrible choice Duquette was and describing in detail how the Blue Jays Assistant GM turned the job down to due to Angelos?

Since apparently Duquette is the only person on the planet qualified for this Toronto CEO position I expect them to pay dearly for it. I accept nothing less than a top, major league ready prospect. If Toronto balks they can hire someone else. This whole situation is ridiculous. Toronto sought permission to interview Duquette. Permission was denied. Toronto should move on. IMHO, the only reason they haven't is they want to stick it to the Orioles.

The most telling thing to me is that Duquette has not made a strong statement like, "I'm an Oriole and I will be an Oriole for as long as Mr. Angelos wants me" or something similar. The lack of a statement by Duquette strongly suggests that he is very interested in the position and wants his name to remain attached to the position. I think that's probably the "toxin" Roch referenced.

Yes he did. During a interview with Hot Stove I believe.

He said that he was committed to seeing his contract with the Os through.

Okay dude, don't be pedantic. What he means is that it is perfectly reasonable for an individual to want a promotion. DD isn't out of line by reasonable standards.

The reason that teams give GM's 4 year extensions so they don't leave during that time. If they didn't care if you left year to year you would be like the Rays and not offer multi-year contracts for GM's and Coaches. And DD was under contract at the time he signed the extension. If he thought he might leave in a couple of years he could have turned down the extension and kept getting paid for 2 more years and then decided whether to re-up with the Orioles.

Anyway like I said before this isn't a promotion. Titles are meaningless. In either case he would be the top baseball guy with the club.

I've come around on this. Because of my love for Dan, it's probably best to let him go if he wants that.

Has the Jays organization contaminated our pool? Yes.

Has Ken written some extremely misleading stuff that has fanned flames, further contaminating our org? Definitely.

Would this move be a major life change for Duq? Sounds like it.

Would I rather he forever be or guy? Certainly.

Would I want him to not get what he wants, though? No.

Do I require the Jays to pay a kings ransom for someone who's value is at an all-time high, and who has 4 more years on a contact to us, and who would be going to a division rival? You bet your sweet bippy.

Listen to their offers until they send one that is extremely painful for them.

This was real dirty pool by a number of guys. I'll not happy.

Yes he did. During a interview with Hot Stove I believe.

He said that he was committed to seeing his contract with the Os through.

I think he needs to make a much more definitive statement if that is his real intent. Especially since the media (and there's not much else to cover baseball wise right now) are stirring the pot. I know definitive statements are not DD's forte, but if he wants to stay then he should make it really clear.

Since apparently Duquette is the only person on the planet qualified for this Toronto CEO position I expect them to pay dearly for it. I accept nothing less than a top, major league ready prospect. If Toronto balks they can hire someone else. This whole situation is ridiculous. Toronto sought permission to interview Duquette. Permission was denied. Toronto should move on. IMHO, the only reason they haven't is they want to stick it to the Orioles.
This is what infuriates me about this "process." Can't they look to raid more than one front office or is the screw only being put to the Orioles?

I don't think this is quite an apples-to-apples comparison with the Epstein move as some would like to make it out to be. Epstein jumped leagues; this is an intradivision move.

I think the Red Sox had soured on Epstein at that point anyway. They had missed the playoffs two straight seasons and the September collapse had happened with the players deemed out of control.

I think he needs to make a much more definitive statement if that is his real intent. Especially since the media (and there's not much else to cover baseball wise right now) are stirring the pot. I know definitive statements are not DD's forte, but if he wants to stay then he should make it really clear.

January 31, 2015. Fan Fest. If nothing has happened before then, believe me, he's going to get it.

The reason that teams give GM's 4 year extensions so they don't leave during that time. If they didn't care if you left year to year you would be like the Rays and not offer multi-year contracts for GM's and Coaches. And DD was under contract at the time he signed the extension. If he thought he might leave in a couple of years he could have turned down the extension and kept getting paid for 2 more years and then decided whether to re-up with the Orioles.

Anyway like I said before this isn't a promotion. Titles are meaningless. In either case he would be the top baseball guy with the club.

I think that's baloney.

I also think people are underestimating the potential that DD is frustrated with the O's. All the evidence suggests that the O's are being extremely tightfisted with the budget. 99.99% of sports executives would love to have a larger budget. The O's have lost significant players this offseason and have replaced them with marginal players, even though all evidence suggests that the O's could invest significantly more.

I think that's baloney.

I also think people are underestimating the potential that DD is frustrated with the O's. All the evidence suggests that the O's are being extremely tightfisted with the budget. 99.99% of sports executives would love to have a larger budget. The O's have lost significant players this offseason and have replaced them with marginal players, even though all evidence suggests that the O's could invest significantly more.

I disagree with this. Although neither of us have evidence, I believe DD is the one that chose not to bring back Cruz, Markakis and Miller due to not getting value for them. I also believe he has not seen value for the dollar out there on the FA market. I do not believe Angelos stopped him from resigning either of these players.

Archived