Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

The Jays have handled this in a completely classless manner.

Sure inquire, but when rebuffed that should pretty much be it. I get the feeling that proper channels have not been followed and the Jays have allowed this to be played out in the media.

At the same time, common courtesy in professional sports leagues is to allow a coach or front office person to interview for a promotion. Lets not act like the Orioles are saints here either by refusing to let Duquette go if he wants to get a promotion. I think Angelos is being a big possessive and selfish here.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the same time, common courtesy in professional sports leagues is to allow a coach or front office person to interview for a promotion. Lets not act like the Orioles are saints here either by refusing to let Duquette go if he wants to get a promotion. I think Angelos is being a big possessive and selfish here.

Has any team ever offered a promotion to another team's GM before? I mean it is fine and dandy when you are talking about a scout or a pitching coach but a GM?

They asked for permission, they were denied permission, they still harped. Angelos just made a four-year commitment to the man, how would it look to the fans if Angelos allowed the GM that many hold up as responsible for getting the Orioles back to the postseason a chance to leave to a division rival?

http://m.mlb.com/bal/video/topic/7417714/v37038769/dan-duquette-joins-hot-stove

Here's a long interview on Hot Stove on Decebmer 9. The questions comes up about Toronto. There is nothing in that interview where he comes close to saying he's committed to staying with the Orioles and not interested in the Toronto job. He just says that there is work to do to make the O's better and he's focused on that. Maybe you are talking about a different interview? If so, I'm sure we'd love to get the link.

Duquette appeared on MLB Network Radio (Twitter links/audio link) and told hosts Jim Bowden and Jim Duquette, “I’m with the Orioles. I’m here to represent the Orioles at the meetings. Other than that, I have nothing to add. I do have a contract and I’ve always honored my contract.

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/blue-jays-eyeing-dan-duquette.html

They asked for permission, they were denied permission, they still harped. Angelos just made a four-year commitment to the man, how would it look to the fans if Angelos allowed the GM that many hold up as responsible for getting the Orioles back to the postseason a chance to leave to a division rival?

Denying permission is where the issue came up though. Personally, I think Angelos has handled this whole thing terribly. I believe he should have allowed him to interview and discuss compensation if he's hired, like with Theo Epstein. Acting like a child by saying over and over again "He's mine! He agreed to stay here so he's mine! You can't have him!" is the worst way to handle this and makes the Orioles organization look bad.

Some naive takes in this thread IMO.

My take:

- I don't know how this is "new" as Roch reported on it several weeks ago.

- Typical Rosenthal slant on it which I think undermines him completely

- While I don't think the Jays have talked directly to DD or his representation, they must know through intermediaries that he is interested.

- The way these things typically work is that someone on the Orioles side, probably an Angelos, is contacted by the BJ. He then goes to DD to see if he has interest because it isn't tampering for the Orioles to ask that question. It will only proceed to discussing compensation with the BJ if DD says that he is seriously interested. Then, the real negotiations for compensation take place. The Angelos handling the negotiation will use DD and his staff to determine appropriate compensation so all of this is being done with DD's knowledge.

- It wouldn't surprise me if Angelos was surprised at DD's level of interest when they approached him and that has led to some hard feeelings. PGA has a serious issue with not feeling wanted and letting that get to him.

- I would say this does have legs, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the compensation requested is viewed as outlandish by the BJ. It remains to be seen if a compromise can be reached if that is the case.

- Even if all of this is going on, DD is still working hard and doing everything he can for this organization. There is just no way a guy like him acts differently than that. No way.

My thoughts

Well put. I think that is a very accurate interpretation.

Denying permission is where the issue came up though. Personally, I think Angelos has handled this whole thing terribly. I believe he should have allowed him to interview and discuss compensation if he's hired, like with Theo Epstein. Acting like a child by saying over and over again "He's mine! He agreed to stay here so he's mine! You can't have him!" is the worst way to handle this and makes the Orioles organization look bad.

I'm not sure I agree with this. DD is under contract for a long while and all of this didn't surface until right at Winter Meetings. If this had gone down right at the beginning of the offseason or if DD only had a year left on his contract, I think Angelos would be coming off as more childish. As it stands, though, DD (potentially) and Toronto's timing is terrible and tacky. It's the difference between leaving your wife after the kids are mostly grown and leaving her right you've gotten her pregnant.

To be clear, though, I think DD is a professional and will do his job regardless of whether or not he'd prefer to be in Toronto.

The part I might disagree with is that I think the O's bargaining position for compensation is stronger with the way Angelos has handled this, right or wrong.

The little bit better compensation we might get doesn't make up for the image Angelos is once again reinforcing around the league as a terrible boss to work for. Who would want to sign on to be our GM in the future if they have any kind of aspirations of something better?

It doesn't really seem like they are the ones doing anything here. Toronto is the org that is stirring the pot.

I don't know.. It seems like there is more to all of this than just Toronto stirring the pot. Anyway, whether this is their fault or not, it still seems like I am watching thirty clowns get in a car.

I personally think the way Toronto has handled this is extremely improper. They have their CEO in limbo. They have not renewed his contract which expired in October, but have allowed him to continue to work on the job "paycheck to paycheck". If you want someone else, fire the man and let him know what's going down. You then approach Peter about DD. Peter says "No". Professionally, you have two options, forget Dan or ask Peter, "What would it take to get you to change your mind?" If he says nothing, then move on. Don't leak stories to the press and go to MLB saying you want to hire him.

Kenny Williams made it very clear, publicly, that he was interested in the BJ CEO position, but Reinsdorf denied permission to allow him to be interviewed. Yet I've seen no comments that Reinsdorf "acted like a child." The BJ's are simply exploiting Angelos' reputation to sow seeds of dissension here. I have no doubt that Duquette is interested in the promotion, but I also think the O's should properly be pissed off about the poor way the situation has been handled by the BJ's from the inception, and are more than within their rights to discuss (demand) compensation that the BJ's would view as exorbitant. If DD is getting squeezed by this situation, that is at some level of his own doing by not adjusting to the above "reality" and putting the story to rest.

I personally think the way Toronto has handled this is extremely improper. They have their CEO in limbo. They have not renewed his contract which expired in October' date=' but have allowed him to continue to work on the job "paycheck to paycheck". If you want someone else, fire the man and let him know what's going down. You then approach Peter about DD. Peter says "No". Professionally, you have two options, forget Dan or ask Peter, "What would it take to get you to change your mind?" If he says nothing, then move on. Don't leak stories to the press and go to MLB saying you want to hire him.[/quote']

This. Toronto has put themselves in this position because they can't take care of their own stuff.

Here's what I don't understand: Roch says discussions aren't at the stage where a compensation proposal has been made to ownership because "ownership doesn't get involved until its serious," and Angelos said he didn't "believe" that specific players had been discussed. Shouldn't he know that with 100% certainty? Who are the Jays talking to, if not with Angelos? Something doesn't add up.

Here's what I don't understand: Roch says discussions aren't at the stage where a compensation proposal has been made to ownership because "ownership doesn't get involved until its serious," and Angelos said he didn't "believe" that specific players had been discussed. Shouldn't he know that with 100% certainty? Who are the Jays talking to, if not with Angelos? Something doesn't add up.

Maybe there are people lower on the totem poll that want to get this situation cleared up so they're discussing it with the Blue Jays on their own?

Archived