Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? That makes zero sense.

If I were PA, I would want DD to get out there and put an end to this charade so I do not have to continually address it in the media.

There is zero benefit to PA or the Orioles for this continue if DD is still their guy.

It would make no sense for DD to make this grand proclamation that you keep requesting. DD does want to be a CEO. It's a promotion that would be a clear advancement in his career. You don't get promoted by denouncing possible promotions whenever they present themselves.

Openings at these positions are exceedingly rare in the MLB and the opportunities will stop knocking if you keep publicly shooting them down. It's a stupid career move and DD isn't stupid.

DD appears to be a loyal professional, but asking him to hurt his future career prospects would be tremendously unfair.

The best thing DD can do is to stay silent and continue to do an exceptional job with the Orioles.

I am sure that the O's scouts have had a lot to do with the minor things, like Rule 5, that you are poking fun at. Duquette has put the organization in place and he's of the mindset to mine the under radar areas. I like that about him. Could anyone do that? I guess, but it seems to be a strength of his. I am not afraid of losing Duquette as much as the organizational structure he seems to have built.

This! I like Duq, glad to have him. I fear losing him but fear MORE losing the whole organization he's set up.

It would make no sense for DD to make this grand proclamation that you keep requesting. DD does want to be a CEO. It's a promotion that would be a clear advancement in his career. You don't get promoted by denouncing possible promotions whenever they present themselves. It's a stupid career move and DD isn't stupid.

DD appears to be a loyal professional, but asking him to hurt his future career prospects would be tremendously unfair.

The best thing DD can do is to stay silent and continue to do an exceptional job with the Orioles.

Exactly. Another point I made earlier.

Why? That makes zero sense.

If I were PA, I would want DD to get out there and put an end to this charade so I do not have to continually address it in the media.

There is zero benefit to PA or the Orioles for this continue if DD is still their guy.

Peter Angelos does not have to address anything in the media beyond what he has already done. He has no more obligation to answer their questions than you or I. They are mosquitos.

If there is any discussion going on between the Blue Jays and the Orioles over Duquette's fate, DD obviously has no place in that discussion at this juncture. It's above his pay grade. His voice would only complicate things while the issue gets sorted out. At this point the issue at hand is whether he'll be allowed to interview in the first place, and if he's offered the position and accepts what will be the compensation to the Orioles.

There's also the awkward fact that this situation has the potential to do real economic damage to the Orioles. It would not be Duquette's money that would be lost, it would be Peter Angelos' and the that of his partners in the ownership group. PA has every right to manage this situation his way. Duquette will be well advised to shut up until further notice lest some economic damage be laid at his feet.

It would make no sense for DD to make this grand proclamation that you keep requesting. DD does want to be a CEO. It's a promotion that would be a clear advancement in his career. You don't get promoted by denouncing possible promotions whenever they present themselves. It's a stupid career move and DD isn't stupid.

Nobody is asking him to proclaim lifelong commitment or swearing off all future CEO positions. Besides I was addressing the post that suggested the ORIOLES told him to stay quiet and not squash this which is utterly ridiculous. The only way I can see the O's doing that is if PA has had enough of it and is simply at this point jockeying for better compensation. Then it would benefit the O's to have DD be silent. If DD is staying then it benefits the O's to put an end to this silliness and get the focus on their product in a positive light.

We are talking about this specific job. Nobody is going to take him pulling himself out of the running for BJ's CEO as a proclamation that he never wants to be considered again....come on man

He could very easily come out and form it in such a way that he is clear he is not interested specifically in the Toronto job

The best thing DD can do is what is best for the Orioles as an organization. That is to put this to bed and continue doing his job.

Tampering, if you can prove it. Connecting the dots isn't going to nail Toronto for tampering.
This goes back to what I asked in my previous post. Specifically, "I don't know what kind of smoking gun you think would be needed. The reporter isn't going to give up his source and no one in baseball is dumb enough to allow themselves to be quoted on the record." So what to you would constitute proof under those circumstances?

It is my strong belief that while Toronto may not have violated the "letter of the law" as it implies to tampering, they certainly used a despicable way of violating the spirit of the ban on tampering. The media knew that and allowed themselves to be used in that manner.

The reason that teams give GM's 4 year extensions so they don't leave during that time. If they didn't care if you left year to year you would be like the Rays and not offer multi-year contracts for GM's and Coaches. And DD was under contract at the time he signed the extension. If he thought he might leave in a couple of years he could have turned down the extension and kept getting paid for 2 more years and then decided whether to re-up with the Orioles.

Anyway like I said before this isn't a promotion. Titles are meaningless. In either case he would be the top baseball guy with the club.

I've been wondering... I know players traded bring their contracts with them. Union rules and all. But does that apply to FO people? Why wouldn't TOR just tear up his contract and negotiate a new one?

Nobody is asking him to proclaim lifelong commitment or swearing off all future CEO positions. Besides I was addressing the post that suggested the ORIOLES told him to stay quiet and not squash this which is utterly ridiculous. The only way I can see the O's doing that is if PA has had enough of it and is simply at this point jockeying for better compensation. Then it would benefit the O's to have DD be silent. If DD is staying then it benefits the O's to put an end to this silliness and get the focus on their product in a positive light.

We are talking about this specific job. Nobody is going to take him pulling himself out of the running for BJ's CEO as a proclamation that he never wants to be considered again....come on man

He could very easily come out and form it in such a way that he is clear he is not interested specifically in the Toronto job

The best thing DD can do is what is best for the Orioles as an organization. That is to put this to bed and continue doing his job.

It would mage sense if you believed much theory ;)

Again, these opportunities come along rarely. What your asking hurts the likelihood of him getting this promotion later. It appears that we disagree on this point, but it looks as though DD's thinking is aligned with mine.

Peter Angelos does not have to address anything in the media beyond what he has already done. He has no more obligation to answer their questions than you or I. They are mosquitos.

If there is any discussion going on between the Blue Jays and the Orioles over Duquette's fate, DD obviously has no place in that discussion at this juncture. It's above his pay grade. His voice would only complicate things while the issue gets sorted out. At this point the issue at hand is whether he'll be allowed to interview in the first place, and if he's offered the position and accepts what will be the compensation to the Orioles.

There's also the awkward fact that this situation has the potential to do real economic damage to the Orioles. It would not be Duquette's money that would be lost, it would be Peter Angelos' and the that of his partners in the ownership group. PA has every right to manage this situation his way. Duquette will be well advised to shut up until further notice lest some economic damage be laid at his feet.

Can we both agree though, if DD wants to stay and PA really wants DD to stay also there is little to be gained by not cementing that in a public way. Not doing so makes the O's and as you said DD culpable for whatever damage its doing as well. If the O's instruct DD to be quiet then it becomes on them. The longer this drags on the more impact its bound to have on the product in terms of public perception.

To me the only reason to tell DD to be quiet is if the relationship is fractured and its all about angling for the highest compensation possible as you suggested. In that scenario you want him to sit down, shut up and be a good boy. I suspect that is what is going on, I also suspect that is why PA made it clear he would consider offers when he talked to Connolly.

I do no blame Pete here. If I were PA I would not want a guy who wants to be somewhere other than here to be in charge of my billion dollar investment in terms of the product they field. Simple as that.

Archived