Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

The entire quote was "Our position is what I’ve said. This is not something to negotiate. If they made an offer, we would look at it, but we are not intent on taking it. We are not engaging in any negotiation.” So I ask again, is he lying.

Dude he's saying this to get the best deal. Why is this so hard for you?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little common sense please. It would have been very simple to say "I'm not interested in the Toronto job. I have a 4 year contract with Baltimore. I want to stay here for the next 4 years". He didn't say that and everyone except you knows why.

Why would he say that? It's a promotion and probably a buttload more money. I don't fault Dan at all for leaving this open as a possibility.

PA also told Connolly he would listen to any offers that come their way.

So technically that is not a negotiation, it is however closer to a negotiation than saying DD is not available and we have no interest in offers for his services.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/latest-on-blue-jays-interest-in-dan-duquette.html

My house is not for sale. If someone comes along and offers me two million dollars for it, I would ask them if they would like me out by tomorrow.

The situation is toxic while it is unresolved. It doesn't need to remain toxic if the resolution is that DD stays in Baltimore. After the Marlins' last selloff, Giancarlo Stanton demanded a trade and the FO said no. People wondered what an unhappy Stanton might do. I think the Marlins and Stanton have ended up quite happy with the results a couple of years later. It's not so much a matter of professional ethics as it is of what drives both players and GM's -- it's meeting the challenge of trying to do a better job than others. That drive is very likely to remain for DD whether he moves or stays.

Stanton is a good analogy.

The entire quote was "Our position is what I?ve said. This is not something to negotiate. If they made an offer, we would look at it, but we are not intent on taking it. We are not engaging in any negotiation.? So I ask again, is he lying.

Not at all. He speaking lawyer language IMO. PA is a savvy lawyer who knows how to frame things.

He does not intend to let DD go anywhere unless he feels the compensation is fair and just. I applaud him for that.

If he was not open to the possibility whatsoever then the second part would have read more like..... We have no interest in any offers for DD services, DD will be our VP.

I think you should be committed.

That was uncalled for. You were the one saying DD is not committed to his contract and amazingly stuck to that ridiculous point post after post. You were wrong. Obviously. You contradicted yourself over and over, often within the same sentence. Bad enough you won't admit you were misusing the word "commitment" when you meant to say "preference." Now you are just plain rude.

I don't fault Dan for being interested in the job. The point is IF he wanted to pass on the job and stay with the O's he COULD have diffused the whole thing with a statement to that effect. That was my point.

:noidea: I don't doubt DD's commitment to us but... Everything I have is for sale. At the right price...

Dude he's saying this to get the best deal. Why is this so hard for you?
Duuuuude, when he said, "That is not going to happen. There have not been any changes in the status of Dan Duquette. He is our GM and he is going to remain our GM," then that could be one way of negotiating in public. However, when Rosenthal and others said "compensation talks are ongoing," and "talks indicate O's open to his departure," and Angelos flat out denies there have been negotiations, then that is not working a deal. He's saying the reporters need to get their facts straight because what they are saying is "false." I'm sorry you don't see the difference. So are we to assume the team has been negotiating without his knowledge or is he lying?
It's like Bill Clinton saying he didn't have sex with that woman. It's semantics. To the common person, negotiations are taking place, by all reports. If Angelos wants to say "if the right offer comes along we'll consider it" is not negotiations then so be it.

If that's the example you want to use, then go out and say he is lying. :D

My house is not for sale. If someone comes along and offers me two million dollars for it, I would ask them if they would like me out by tomorrow.

I hope your right. I hope that DD is the VP of this team for the duration of his contract. Right now though I doubt that.

1) Daniel Norris, LHP, Grade A-/Borderline A. Age 21, outstanding season in all respects, posted 2.53 ERA with 163/43 K/BB in 125 innings at three levels. He got killed in rookie ball two years ago but has made enormous progress, projects as number two starter at least.

2) Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Grade A-: Age 22, posted 3.95 ERA with 84/57 K/BB in 100 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 1.09 ERA with 27/9 K/BB in 33 major league innings. Assumption is that he is a starter long-term. He?s never had spectacular strikeout rates and his command can wobble, but he is an extreme ground ball pitcher and his stuff is among the best of all pitchers in his age group. I had him as an A- last year and can?t reduce that given the season he had.

3) Dalton Pompey, OF, Grade B/Borderline B+: Age 22, hit .317/.392/.469 with 43 steals in 441 at-bats at three levels, .231/.302/.436 in 39 at-bats in the majors. Impressive athlete and a new favorite for Blue Jays fans, stands out for defense, speed, on-base abilities, and improving power. You can make a good case for B+. . .but he's something of a trendy pick right now, although I don?t think he was a fluke overall and this may go to B+ once I slot him on the Top 50 list. He is a lot of fun to watch too

4) Max Pentecost, C, Grade B: Age 21, first-round pick out of Kennesaw State, hit .324/.330/.419 in pro debut in short-season ball. Excellent athlete as catchers go, but was very impatient (two walks, 21 strikeouts) in his first look at pro pitching. Rehabbing from torn labrum, not a good thing for a catcher to have, but his defense is otherwise well-regarded. I want to see how his OBP holds up and if his arm is OK before putting a "+" on there.

5) Jeff Hoffman, RHP, Grade B: Age 21, first-round pick out of East Carolina University, was seen as top five talent until he blew out his elbow, slipping to ninth. Above-average fastball, excellent curve, good change-up, number two starter based on pre-injury command and stuff but we?ll have to see what he comes back with.

Just a picky point... he has 8 professional HRs. Just looking at raw numbers I see NO power.

Duuuuude, when he said, "That is not going to happen. There have not been any changes in the status of Dan Duquette. He is our GM and he is going to remain our GM," then that could be one way of negotiating in public. However, when Rosenthal and others said "compensation talks are ongoing," and "talks indicate O's open to his departure," and Angelos flat out denies there have been negotiations, then that is not working a deal. He's saying the reporters need to get their facts straight because what they are saying is "false." I'm sorry you don't see the difference. So are we to assume the team has been negotiating without his knowledge or is he lying?

If that's the example you want to use, then go out and say he is lying. :D

Imagine a lawyer lying about something....I shudder at the thought.

Lawyers are experts at clouding the truth with words. PA is one hell of a lawyer. I doubt he is lying but I do not think its is unreasonable to take the fact that they would look at offers as an opening to the Jays to make one.

Lets get real, if the Jays make an offer and the O's say no, that is not an active negotiation but it is a form of negotiating without doing so.

Tony Soprano: Oriole Hangout is not for sale. I will look at any offers but do intend to take them

SteveO : I will give you 100k for it.

Tony: Yea right.

SteveO: Ok then 500k

Toney: Yeah right

SteveO: 3 million dollars.

Tony: Sold....

Not saying you would sell the OH lol. Just making the point you never negotiated, you never made a counter offer, yet somehow we arrived at compensation that works. You never lied in that scenario, you did not negotiate, that impetus was on me. Its naive to think PA does not know how that works or is not willing to employ that strategy

Do you understand my point or not? I don't get what this post is about.

I just don't understand you and other's need to have DD publicly announce his total commitment to the O's. I think he's professional enough to do his job to the best of his abilities. I assume that. Keeping his options open for another gig though does not mean he's dogging it for us. Or that he WANTS out of the org. It's a lucrative situation in Toronto.

Archived