Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

I don't think there is a law that says you can't try to hire another companies management. That is just an MLB rule who seem to do everything in their power to screw the Orioles.

Yeah, probably not, and doubtful MLB would do anything either since they seem to be rooting for this to happen. I'm just hoping there's way to make the Jays pay in some way. Here's what happened with Maddon.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/10/mlb-investigating-joe-maddon-tampering-charge-against-cubs/

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Blow Jays talked directly with Kenny Williams... uh... Isn't that a first class ticket to Tampertown?
Who said they did? I'm not saying they didn't but there is no proof of it. No report of it as well.

I was reading the quote from this article:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/14/toronto-blue-jays-president-paul-beeston-could-be-on-the-way-out-but-no-one-told-him-that/

"...In the meantime, someone above him in the Rogers hierarchy started placing mysterious phone calls, to the Chicago White Sox about executive vice-president Ken Williams, or rather to Williams himself..."

I guess it was a prank call?

Then Toronto can go pound sand! Whether it's us plebes on a messageboard or John or Peter Angelos. We like DD. We want DD. Toronto wants him too. PAY US then if you want him so bad!

Exactly! PA has an asset that is coveted by TOR. PA has every right to name his price and tell TOR where to go if he is not satisfied. Who cares what CHI paid to acquire Theo.similarly, I don't care what anyne else sold their car for. If you want mine, the offer will either satisfy more or it won't. Having DD locked up for 4 years is a huge asset to the O's. Kudos to PA for not relinquishing that to a competitor for a song!

Guest rochester
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Blow Jays talked directly with Kenny Williams... uh... Isn't that a first class ticket to Tampertown?

First, the statement about Williams was taken from the linked article. Saying that, I strongly believe that there was a conversation between the BJ's and DD - and I also believe if we made that charge that it would be swept under the rug like the Cubs/Madden issue. Even if it was proven then what would the penalty be, a draft pick and some cash?

BJ's are acting as if is the done deal and just want to finish this with negotiation. I know DD is a good GM but if the BJ's held true to the tamper rule then they are hiring him for a position they don't even know if he is qualified for. Really? Being a GM is a bit different than being responsible for a whole lot of assets. Is that how Rogers Communications works? Of course this has been discussed with DD. My opinion is that the BJ's leaked it to the press (and continue to do so) in an attempt to force the O's hand by playing it out in public.

If DD sounds interested isn't it a bit odd that he is interested in a position he hasn't discussed, i.e., responsibilities, money, at least some contract clauses?

I do not agree with this "they would never tamper" thought but I disgress.

Ironically, the BJ's had their own problem with tampering:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2012/12/05/blue_jays_let_john_farrell_and_red_sox_off_easy_griffin.html

I think we need to send someone out for a few pizzas.

It would also be nice if, when they were out, they could tell us what other news is going on not related to this topic.

I'll make a new pot of coffee.

In other news....Toronto still sucks

I think we need to send someone out for a few pizzas.

It would also be nice if, when they were out, they could tell us what other news is going on not related to this topic.

I'll make a new pot of coffee.

LOL. Let's just pray that this doesn't go on for another month. I don't know how many times I've refreshed this thread.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This ends one of three ways: 1. Duquette declares he wants to stay w/O's, which hasn't happened. 2. TOR turns elsewhere for good. 3. A deal.</p>? Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">January 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not necessarily. There is a fourth option. The Orioles propose a deal where they would be getting back (in Olney's own words) "an extraordinary" return but not necessarily an insane return. Give the Jays a short window in which they can counter. Tell them that if no deal is reached within this window, they won't be discussing the issue further until after the 2015 season regardless of what kind of pressure MLB attempts to put on them. Tell Duquette the same. If Toronto really, really wants Duquette, they probably get a deal done. If not, at least everyone can move on. Toronto can decide if they want to wait on Duquette until the offseason and Duquette can continue on knowing he will be in Baltimore for one more year. The Orioles can immediately begin the transition process. It's not an ideal outcome, but there isn't one at this point.

I am starting to think the O's should propose something like Norris and Pompey. I could see some people thinking that is an insane offer rather than a reasonably aggressive one, but I am not so sure. Executives have a huge impact on their organizations. If Toronto believes that Duquette is really good (and they obviously do) compensating his current team like you would for a highly desirable trade target seems more than reasonable. #1 and #3 prospect (Norris and Pompey) is a reasonable asking price for an upper level trade target.

Pompey as the top option for compensation? No way. Norris #1, Sanchez #2, Hoffman #3, Pompey #4 IMO.

I would put Hoffman at #5 and put Devon Travis in the top 4 somewhere.

I said it earlier, some hundreds of posts ago, but I would include Bud Norris to get any two of those guys. Preferably any two of Norris, Sanchez, Travis and Pompey.

The conflict of interest in these talks and a deal going on at this point is disgusting. This should have happened at the beginning of the offseason. Could this be a reason for the lack of moves and aggressiveness? I think that is certainly a fair question.

Not necessarily. There is a fourth option. The Orioles propose a deal where they would be getting back (in Olney's own words) "an extraordinary" return but not necessarily an insane return. Give the Jays a short window in which they can counter. Tell them that if no deal is reached within this window, they won't be discussing the issue further until after the 2015 season regardless of what kind of pressure MLB attempts to put on them. Tell Duquette the same. If Toronto really, really wants Duquette, they probably get a deal done. If not, at least everyone can move on. Toronto can decide if they want to wait on Duquette until the offseason and Duquette can continue on knowing he will be in Baltimore for one more year. The Orioles can immediately begin the transition process. It's not an ideal outcome, but there isn't one at this point.

I am starting to think the O's should propose something like Norris and Pompey. I could see some people thinking that is an insane offer rather than a reasonably aggressive one, but I am not so sure. Executives have a huge impact on their organizations. If Toronto believes that Duquette is really good (and they obviously do) compensating his current team like you would for a highly desirable trade target seems more than reasonable. #1 and #3 prospect (Norris and Pompey) is a reasonable asking price for an upper level trade target.

No. The fourth way will not occur. Be cause the ORioles will not propose anything.

Archived