Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Ken was "doing his job" by possibly leaking this to the benefit of the Blue Jays? Yeah, no hard feelings whatsoever

He also is sewing the seeds of discontent in the organization when there appear to be none. Other than a hostile raid.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roch has reported the same thing.
There were none until this story was leaked.

My contention is Toronto let Rosenthal in on this story before speaking to Orioles management. If I were to put aside Rosenthal's long history of taking pot shots at the team and in particular Peter Angelos, going back to his days at the local paper, I'd say he did this for a few reasons. Primarily, of course, he did it for the self-serving attention, be it on MLB Network, or his foxsports column, or his twitter page. Ken wants to further bolster his "insider" status by breaking a story ahead of the pack. This keeps him gainfully employed and valuable on MLB, where guys like Harold "Peanut" Reynolds can flatter him over and over.

I'm just really disappointed that MLB has allowed Toronto to tamper during the winter meetings then I also feel like some of the info we hear is true, but the rest of it is fabricated. This on top of screwing us out of the All Star Game is not okay. "MLB wants DD to move to Toronto" that is a joke, he's under contract and what idiot lets him leave for free within the division, get outta here Toronto and MLB

There were none until this story was leaked.

My contention is Toronto let Rosenthal in on this story before speaking to Orioles management. If I were to put aside Rosenthal's long history of taking pot shots at the team and in particular Peter Angelos, going back to his days at the local paper, I'd say he did this for a few reasons. Primarily, of course, he did it for the self-serving attention, be it on MLB Network, or his foxsports column, or his twitter page. Ken wants to further bolster his "insider" status by breaking a story ahead of the pack. This keeps him gainfully employed and valuable on MLB, where guys like Harold "Peanut" Reynolds can flatter him over and over.

This, to me, seems very plausible. Not from the standpoint of how the baseball business works, but from the simple standpoint of the media in any form, where any kind of story, when broken first and in the most sensational way, gets you the most attention.

I'm just really disappointed that MLB has allowed Toronto to tamper during the winter meetings then I also feel like some of the info we hear is true, but the rest of it is fabricated. This on top of screwing us out of the All Star Game is not okay. "MLB wants DD to move to Toronto" that is a joke, he's under contract and what idiot lets him leave for free within the division, get outta here Toronto and MLB

I'm with you. Technically the Jays are offering a promotion, but the timing is just horrific. Not to mention it's been hovering over the org since before the Winter Meetings. I mean, come on. At the same time, DD could absolutely put out the fire with a public statement. It's been crickets in that regard, which is definitely telling. Ugh, even after 3 years of winning, this team still can't escape dysfunction and that's frustrating. MLB isn't helping either; not with the MASN dispute.

The above tweet was from last night, BTW.

Even though it pains me to say it, I agree with Rosenthall on this. After all that has gone on how can Duquette remain in Baltimore and be effective? As an example, how in the future could he stand in front of the season ticket holders and talk about the great history of the Orioles when everyone knows he wanted to escape to Toronto. How popular do you think Dan is going to be at fanfast? These are just small examples of how his credibility has been hurt. Never mind the larger matters like negotiating long term contracts with current players, or negotiating with free agents or most importantly, in future dealings he may have with Toronto.

I respect the effort. I believe this is something the Angelos family can personally control.

Absolutely. Peter has Dan under contract for 4 more years. He clearly has all the leverage in this situation. As the controlling principal owner of a nearly $1 Billion enterprise, it is obvious that he see DD's contract as a huge asset to the club. He doesn't owe anyone (including a division rival) any favors here. Just because Boston agreed to let Theo go for peanuts does not obligate PA to do the same. Business is business and PA will do what is in the best interest of his organization. I wouldn't accept anything less than a king's ransom to let DD out of his contract to go help a division rival. Who cares what MLB or any talking heads think - PA doesn't, and I agree with digging in his heels on this. In a way, DD is a victim of his own success in that his being under contract through 2018 has become an integral asset of the O's present and future. However, he willingly signed the extension to guarantee job security and financial security.

I'm with you. Technically the Jays are offering a promotion, but the timing is just horrific. Not to mention it's been hovering over the org since before the Winter Meetings. I mean, come on. At the same time, DD could absolutely put out the fire with a public statement. It's been crickets in that regard, which is definitely telling. Ugh, even after 3 years of winning, this team still can't escape dysfunction and that's frustrating. MLB isn't helping either; not with the MASN dispute.

I think we'd all like to see a Gary Kubiak-esque statement from DD to put this to bed!

Two points:

1) Jim Duquette on 1057 The Fan said that the players union would never allow major league players to be traded for a front office executive. Apparently this area has been tried before. So it would have to prospects not on the 40 man roster.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/01/15/sports-rehab-jim-duquette-talking-orioles-baseball/

2) Second Scott Stinson who writes for the National Post was on 1057 and has an article which says its hard to pin down who in the Rogers Communication Company has made any calls to inquire about both Ken Williams and Dan Duquette. He says Paul Beeston is not involved with the search. He also says that GM Alex Anthopoulos would not want a baseball VP of Operations in the CEO's job above him. Which bring into question whether Duquette would really replace Beeston as President or be a replacement for the GM. So who is making these calls is very much an unknown. Which brings into question who is communicating with MLB that Duquette is the Jays top choice. It all sounds pretty fishy.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/14/toronto-blue-jays-president-paul-beeston-could-be-on-the-way-out-but-no-one-told-him-that/

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/01/16/scott-stinson-says-the-dan-duquette-situation-is-a-grand-mystery/

Interesting take Tony, but who would you suppose is the insider that Rock refers to that says that this is "toxic" inside?
If the situation is "toxic," then it became that way after Rosenthal first leaked the story. My speculation, which can only be that, is it's from someone that reports to Dan, such as someone in the scouting department. I can be way wrong, but I assume he didn't speak to John Angelos. "Toxic" doesn't sound like it would come from Buck either as he puts out fires, and not start them.
The above tweet was from last night, BTW.
Yeah, Ken 100%. That way you get to stay a top insider, the guy who started the fire and happily reported on watching it burn.

Archived