Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

The Chicago Cubs are sending relief pitcher Chris Carpenter to the Boston Red Sox as compensation for hiring Theo Epstein as president of baseball operations.

Law: Compensation a relief for Cubs

Given how highly the Cubs valued landing Theo Epstein, the personnel loss of Chris Carpenter isn't much of a hit, writes Keith Law. Blog Insider

The Cubs and Red Sox will also exchange players to be named at a later date.

The sides had been unable to agree on compensation since Epstein left as general manager of the Red Sox in October. The matter was eventually passed on to commissioner Bud Selig and both sides submitted written arguments to Selig last week. But Epstein indicated Tuesday that the sides finally agreed on their own.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not even clear that DD would be truly interested in this position. He seems to enjoy making moves and being engaged with baseball. This position sounds like way more of a business and giant picture position and would not involve day-to-day handling of the roster, etc.

Seriously folks, do you not remember LAST TRADE DEADLINE?

You know the one where the contending Blue Jays were not allowed to add salary?

You think it was Beeston making that call or the corporation types above him?

And the year before that they took on what $150m in contracts. This year they have been busy. PA has let one bad move in Ubaldo hinder Dan and his ability to make any moves it seems. I can't imagine DD is happy with the teams roster. This could also be a ploy by the Jays to take some of the O's focus on the offseason away. Either way, blame Canada!

If this report is to be believed, then discussing a job with an internal division rival is a clear conflict of interest and, in most business industries, would require the removal of the party in question from further dealings affecting either potential employer. it's not a matter of Dan's ethics, it's a matter of what would be considered appropriate. As many have noted, the timing here couldn't be worse. Until Dan comes out and says it's not true or it is true, I wouldn't expect the O's to make another move. Just my two cents...

The Chicago Cubs are sending relief pitcher Chris Carpenter to the Boston Red Sox as compensation for hiring Theo Epstein as president of baseball operations.

Law: Compensation a relief for Cubs

Given how highly the Cubs valued landing Theo Epstein, the personnel loss of Chris Carpenter isn't much of a hit, writes Keith Law. Blog Insider

The Cubs and Red Sox will also exchange players to be named at a later date.

The sides had been unable to agree on compensation since Epstein left as general manager of the Red Sox in October. The matter was eventually passed on to commissioner Bud Selig and both sides submitted written arguments to Selig last week. But Epstein indicated Tuesday that the sides finally agreed on their own.

There's the key. Epstein resigned in October. Which is when it is appropriate to attempt to poach top front office personnel. Not during the annual GM meetings when a front office is expected to be at its most cohesive.

Hard to believe that DD would "blame" "higher authorities". That is definitely not how he speaks to the media and we haven't heard any reports like this from these sessions before. Are you sure you're not remembering his statements through dung-colored glasses? This sounds extremely, extremely out of character.

Thanks for accusing me of seeing things through dung colored glasses. It was out of character and thus why I was a bit surprised but it did actually happen. I can try to find the thread later I posted after the event but since you're such a stand up person I'll take my time to find it.

I don't follow. Are you questioning Duquette's integrity to do what's in the O's best interest at the winter meetings?

No not at all.

I am saying that if the relationship between DD and the Orioles is what we all hoped it was before today, there is no reason why he is not with this team long after the winter meetings. If it takes a raise and promotion, so be it.

If he leaves then there is something awry IMO. Either DD did not feel he had the control he wanted or the team did not value him enough to do whats needed to keep him.

Bottom line, if the O's want DD and DD wants to stay here, there is no reason why it cant be done regardless what the Jays want. Anything that results in him leaving would indicate to me that there were strains in the relationship we did not know about.

If this report is to be believed, then discussing a job with an internal division rival is a clear conflict of interest and, in most business industries, would require the removal of the party in question from further dealings affecting either potential employer. it's not a matter of Dan's ethics, it's a matter of what would be considered appropriate. As many have noted, the timing here couldn't be worse. Until Dan comes out and says it's not true or it is true, I wouldn't expect the O's to make another move. Just my two cents...

Dan has not been approached on this he is under contract. Peter Angelos would have to give permission to allow this to proceed.

Thanks for accusing me of seeing things through dung colored glasses. It was out of character and thus why I was a bit surprised but it did actually happen. I can try to find the thread later I posted after the event but since you're such a stand up person I'll take my time to find it.

Yeah, it seems different than what I have heard him say but your integrity is unquestioned. It just surprises me and I appreciate you sharing.

Dan has not been approached on this he is under contract. Peter Angelos would have to give permission to allow this to proceed.

Oh let's not inject any rationality into this thread, weams. Watching all the panic is far too entertaining.

I should state that, more accurately, I would not expect Dan to personally make another move.

Archived