Would you take Melky Cabrera on a 3 year deal?

Greg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melky would end up at 3/45 if he only gets 3 years and I would value our #26 pick in the 5-7 million dollar range so it's really a 3/50ish deal taking everything into account....

With that said give me Rasmus for 1/12 with a chance for a comp pick next year plus Morse for 2/25 or trade for Carlos Quentin (32 w/ a 1/8 + 1/10 option deal who has a career OPS+ 120 .820 career OPS, both numbers better than Mr. Nelson Cruz)....Toronto will get the comp pick from someone so that doesn't factor in at all.

So no I would only do the 3/45 deal for Melky if we lose out on all of Rasmus/Morse/Quentin.....But would be a solid piece for 2016 when De Aza/Pearce/Davis could all leave.

BTW am I the only one who would offer Pearce a 3/24+ extension ASAP?

I'm probably one of the biggest Steve Pearce fans on this board and I have to disagree with you. One of the reasons he never reached his potential until last season is injuries. I don't want to give a guy a contract extension if he's not going to be on the field. Let's see him stay healthy for another year and then think about resigning him. If he does stay healthy, I think he'll have another big year.

Melky did one of the dumbest things ever in sports history. I'd have a tough time rooting for him, and I just don't see him as a middle of the lineup bat going forward.

I honestly think this is the biggest argument against signing him (provided the price falls). That said, I'm willing to forgive and forget provided the front office adequately believes its in the past and not a moving forward character flaw.

As for the last part, however, I don't see Cabrera as a middle of the order bat, and he doesn't have to be. The Orioles could use his on base skills, however, near the top of the order.

If you're right at least we won't be witnessing Cruz and Markakis doing their best late-career Surhoff and Conine impersonations.

Well, I hope the O's do a lot better than I think they will. I think you're correct on Markakis - particularly with his neck problem. Cruz is a significantly higher level talent than Surhoff and Conine ever were.

The Mariners have made free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera a three-year offer, Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports (Spanish language link). Cabrera is looking for at least one more guaranteed year, says Rojas. This news reflects a recent report from Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune, who suggested that the sides were at something of a standoff along those lines.

Well, I hope the O's do a lot better than I think they will. I think you're correct on Markakis - particularly with his neck problem. Cruz is a significantly higher level talent than Surhoff and Conine ever were.

While I can't speak to talent, Surhoff had a much better career than Cruz. Nelson has had 4 MLB seasons more than 1.5 WAR. Surhoff had 10. Surhoff had played 797 games before his age 28 season and it would have been more but he was mostly a catcher back then. Nelson Cruz didn't become an everyday player until he was 28.

Archived