Can we steal Dexter Fowler from the Blue Jays?

25 Nuggets

Blue Jays, Astros discuss Dexter Fowler

I do not like this. Fowler has a higher OBP than most others on the FA/trade market and personally, I think he should be one of Baltimore's top targets for the OF/DH role(s). He is a guy that can bat leadoff. The Jays were talking about a Fowler trade before the Winter Meetings.

What can the Orioles do about this? Do they have the pieces Houston wants? Can they outbid Toronto? Are they still talking? Does it matter anymore?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not like this. Fowler has a higher OBP than most others on the FA/trade market and personally, I think he should be one of Baltimore's top targets for the OF/DH role(s). He is a guy that can bad leadoff. Now the Jays are trying to acquire him.

What can the Orioles do about this? Do they have the pieces Houston wants? Can they outbid Toronto?

Is Fowler good outside of Colorado? It was always my thought that his numbers were completely skewed by that.

I do not like this. Fowler has a higher OBP than most others on the FA/trade market and personally, I think he should be one of Baltimore's top targets for the OF/DH role(s). He is a guy that can bat leadoff. The Jays were talking about a Fowler trade before the Winter Meetings.

What can the Orioles do about this? Do they have the pieces Houston wants? Can they outbid Toronto? Are they still talking? Does it matter anymore?

Gonzalez/Norris, Matusz, Mike Wright?

Fowler would be a terrific pick up.

Blue Jays were talking to Houston before they traded for Michael Saunders (the linked article is from 12/2). Theoretically the Jays could still use him but they are apparently pushing up against their budget already (Fowler would mean taking on an additional $9M in salary). They might be better served addressing 2B since they do have Dalton Pompey for center. I think there is a good chance that the Saunders trade ended the Jays interest in Fowler.

I like Fowler a lot but I am not sure I'd want to give up a legit prospect for a one year rental that costs $9M. I have a hunch that Fowler might have been one of the players Duquette had in mind when he made the comment that the trade market is prohibitive because teams are asking a lot for players that would then cost a lot.

Gonzalez/Norris, Matusz, Mike Wright?

Fowler would be a terrific pick up.

He's a 1 year rental. Norris and Matusz should be enough. He's a perfect fit. So it won't happen. This tea isn't quick enough. He will be on a flight to Toronto before the Orioles decide if they even want to try and get him.

He's a 1 year rental. Norris and Matusz should be enough. He's a perfect fit. So it won't happen. This tea isn't quick enough. He will be on a flight to Toronto before the Orioles decide if they even want to try and get him.

Not quick enough? I though Dan won executive of the year?

Thing is, I don't think Houston would be high on players with one year left either. I think they'd be more interested in say two of our C+ prospects. So Mike Wright would be the most attractive piece of the three.

Blue Jays were talking to Houston before they traded for Michael Saunders (the linked article is from 12/2). Theoretically the Jays could still use him but they are apparently pushing up against their budget already (Fowler would mean taking on an additional $9M in salary). They might be better served addressing 2B since they do have Dalton Pompey for center. I think there is a good chance that the Saunders trade ended the Jays interest in Fowler.

I like Fowler a lot but I am not sure I'd want to give up a legit prospect for a one year rental that costs $9M. I have a hunch that Fowler might have been one of the players Duquette had in mind when he made the comment that the trade market is prohibitive because teams are asking a lot for players that would then cost a lot.

Good point. Although the article did state they would be looking at him for CF despite Pompey.

In our case, Fowler would have to agree to move to RF. It's probably time to do so anyway, looking at his declining defense in CF. Duquette has made it somewhat clear that he wants his corner OF to have power... unfortunately Fowler doesn't provide much of that. It's just that he mentioned OBP from the other side of his mouth and this guy fits the bill.

Archived