Post latest rumors on the Roberts trade here...

TerpmanJay

If Pie,Hill and Colvin are off-limits well then Roberts is off-limits we need good talented prospects back now just one great prospect with a bunch of okay's....we are talking about one of he best 2nd baseman in the league.

Roberts deserves a chance to play on a playoff team. He has stated he does not want to be the last man standing and stay on a rebuilding team.

Roberts and Payton for Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno and Veal is a great trade for the Orioles and they should take it. The cubs not offering Pie, Colvin and Hill should not mean we shouldnt deal with them.

I am not real high on Colvin anyway so would much rather have Veal than him anyway.

I have always like Roberts as an Oriole but its time for him to go. A five year extension would be foolish in my opinion and would be the opposite of what we should and have been doing.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How could he be a team leader? He has already publicly said he doesn't want to be the last one standing, and does not want to be a part of a rebuilding effort -- he wants to win. If we keep him and start losing, which is very likely, he will show his unhappiness as he did last year. You could tell by the way he played he wasn't happy. An unhappy player is the exact opposite of a team leader.

I beleive that he made that statement in the frustration of another losing season, like most competitive players would say. He's our only remaining All-Star. A classey guy on and off the field; especially off the field doing a great job in the community. OK, OK, he's also my daughter's favorite player. Sorry.

Lastly, if he is not traded, I would be greatly surprised if he said one negative word about being on the Os. He's much too classey of a guy. Much like, dare I say it? Cal and Brooks. Again. IMO.

If Pie,Hill and Colvin are off-limits well then Roberts is off-limits we need good talented prospects back now just one great prospect with a bunch of okay's....we are talking about one of he best 2nd baseman in the league.

First off, you'd have to package a lot more than Roberts to get Hill. Any GM in the league would agree with me.

As far as the rest of your post goes, you're more than welcome to feel that way. Hendry feels he can't trade Pie because there aren't any options to cover CF adequately, and he doesn't want to trade Colvin because he's of the opinion that he hasn't developed enough yet that he'd get full value for him.

Basically, of those three, only Colvin could potentially be in talks... and that's only if MacPhail is willing to attribute the same value to him that Hendry does... which would make it Gallagher and Colvin straight up for Roberts. If MacPhail isn't willing to do that, and isn't willing to accept lesser prospects, I'm fine if a deal doesn't get done. Honestly, it's gotten to the point that I'm hesitant to even include Gallagher in a trade for Roberts.

They say since Adam Jones came to us in the trade we will not go after Pie. Well Luke Scott is not really a good fielder we could always throw Scott in DH and put Pie in Center or LF and put Jones at LF or Center which ever one Pie is not at. Who is going to play 2nd also? Fahey? I heard rumors that Adam Jones can play Short? I don't know. I just don't like the Gallagher and other packages.

We won't need Pie at all, because Reimold almost ready. If we did put Scott to DH, Jones to LF, Pie to CF, Markakis to RF, what would we do with Reimold? OF is the last thing we need now. MI from the Cubs could be Fontenot, Cedeno, Eric Patterson.

I beleive that he made that statement in the frustration of another losing season

Well that isn't good because chances are that this season will be another losing season. I hope not, but it sure looks that way. We are only in year one of rebuilding. He wants to be a part of a winning team. Back in early Jan. I heard he was on a radio station in Illinois saying how he would love to play for the Cubs...He deserves to win, and we are probably 2-3 years from winning.

So we are going to ask for lower talented players since we have are Outfield stocked? Gallagher is good pitcher but not a center-piece of a deal. Marshall is also okay pitcher but both are back off rotation guys. We need infield prospects. Who is going to play second? We don't have any second base ready minor leaguers accept for Fahey. I want Eric Patterson in the deal he can play 2nd base. He is mostly Major League ready i would do a Gallagher+Veal+Patterson deal. Another player i like is Josh Vitters. I would do a Josh Vitters and Veal deal. I know it's probaly impossible but hey. A guy drafted right near Weiters.

First off, you'd have to package a lot more than Roberts to get Hill. Any GM in the league would agree with me.

As far as the rest of your post goes, you're more than welcome to feel that way. Hendry feels he can't trade Pie because there aren't any options to cover CF adequately, and he doesn't want to trade Colvin because he's of the opinion that he hasn't developed enough yet that he'd get full value for him.

Basically, of those three, only Colvin could potentially be in talks... and that's only if MacPhail is willing to attribute the same value to him that Hendry does... which would make it Gallagher and Colvin straight up for Roberts. If MacPhail isn't willing to do that, and isn't willing to accept lesser prospects, I'm fine if a deal doesn't get done. Honestly, it's gotten to the point that I'm hesitant to even include Gallagher in a trade for Roberts.

Rob, I agree with you on the Cubs-Roberts trade front. I would trade Roberts to the Cubs for Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno and Fontenot. But I don't think AM would. I get the feeling that unlike the Bedard and Tejada deals, the Orioles don't feel the need to trade Roberts. They will...But only for their price. And I think the O's would require Pie or Colvin and 2 others, probably Cedeno and Gallagher. If I were the Cubs, I would not do it.

So we are going to ask for lower talented players since we have are Outfield stocked? Gallagher is good pitcher but not a center-piece of a deal. Marshall is also okay pitcher but both are back off rotation guys. We need infield prospects. Who is going to play second? We don't have any second base ready minor leaguers accept for Fahey. I want Eric Patterson in the deal he can play 2nd base. He is mostly Major League ready i would do a Gallagher+Veal+Patterson deal. Another player i like is Josh Vitters. I would do a Josh Vitters and Veal deal. I know it's probaly impossible but hey. A guy drafted right near Weiters.

I would like something along the lines of Gallagher, Eric Patterson, Ronnie Cedeno, and/or Donald Veal. 2 MI, and a potential #2-#3 SP.

Well that isn't good because chances are that this season will be another losing season. I hope not, but it sure looks that way. We are only in year one of rebuilding. He wants to be a part of a winning team. Back in early Jan. I heard he was on a radio station in Illinois saying how he would love to play for the Cubs...He deserves to win, and we are probably 2-3 years from winning.

I don't know. I'm confused. Yes, we are rebuilding and yet EVERYONE thinks that we can sign Teixeira next year. Wouldn't that show BRob that we are kinda serious about winning in the not too distant future? I guess I'm in the minority, but I STILL say sign him to a 5 year extention. My daughter REALLY like the guy.

Hill isnt a prospect anymore. You could never get him for Roberts.

You and Jim must be pretty close.

No, but Bruce Miles and him are. And I quote.

"The Cubs feel it's too early in Colvin's developmental stage to trade him, especially after investing a top draft pick."

Now perhaps I'm reading that wrong, but it seems to me that they seem to be anticipating his value increasing.

They say since Adam Jones came to us in the trade we will not go after Pie. Well Luke Scott is not really a good fielder we could always throw Scott in DH and put Pie in Center or LF and put Jones at LF or Center which ever one Pie is not at. Who is going to play 2nd also? Fahey? I heard rumors that Adam Jones can play Short? I don't know. I just don't like the Gallagher and other packages.

Everything I have read says that Scott is an above average fielder. I don't have stats to back up this claim,.

I dont know if this deal has been offered, but if the Cubs offered Gallagher,Murton,Cedeno,Veal...i would hope the O's would give up on the Pie and Colvin dream and pull the trigger.

You don't pull the trigger unless you either can live with Luis Hernandez at SS, or have another trade lined up for a SS to replace Hernandez or a second baseman to replace Roberts. Cedeno would either replace Hernandez or Roberts, but there would still be a hole or Hernandez at one of the middle IF spots.

Archived