Post latest rumors on the Roberts trade here...

TerpmanJay

Been to Denver a number of times, also Pueblo. Col. Springs, Ft Collins, and Greely. Only trouble I had was getting used to the altitude. Saw a Rockies- Stros game once in the pre humidor days and Berkman hit a pop up that carried over the CF fence, Lol. Gibbons would do well there.:D

You were near my neck of the woods in the Ft. Collins area (and you're right about Greeley - stinky!). In fact, had my work schedule allowed, I was going to make the trek to Ft. Collins a while back to meet Bob Mc. Anyway, we have over 300 days of sunshine here each year - that's more than Miami or San Diego get. So tell Brian to come on... I'll buy him lunch in the sun!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was talk about a month ago that other names were in the Roberts deal than those that were being reported. Hill's name came up at that time along with Dempster. Again....just like Bedard....anybody can be replaced. Hill won 11 games. It's not like the Cubs are replacing an 18 game winner. There are still some free agent pitchers out there that can replace his 11 wins just like we can replace Bedard's 13. The whole problem with this deal is the Cub fans lovefest with DeRosa. If they didn't sign him last year they would have a different attitude.

I didn't mention the fact they may make Dempster a starter again and they still have Marshall......Hill is a key in my opinion.

I predicted weeks ago that Bavasi and AM would get the Bedard deal done because they have known each other for awhile (AM admitted they had discussed a deal prior to the winter meetings which was a couple of months ago) and Hendry and AM are friends and they have discussed this deal for weeks and will probably get this deal done by Tuesday if not tomorrow. I think the Cubs will get Roberts because of all of the hype this deal has received in Chicago. Roberts is probably already at their training facility in Arizona hanging around. The Cubs are going all out to win now.

Hill is replaceable. DeRosa can play different positions in the infield and outfield so he will still have a job. I mentioned Theriot a few days ago and would prefer him at SS over Hernandez and would like him in any Cubs deal. If Gallagher is in instead of Hill we should get Murton and Theriot all three of whom have mlb experience and would be on the opening day roster. Theriot would help replace some of the speed (28 steals in 07)we are losing with Roberts (50 steals in 07) departure. Hill makes $400,000, Theriot makes $390,000 and Murton makes $415,000. Great salaries for us in our rebuild.

Murton's Georgia Tech (age 26)connection along with Wieters will make Teixeira (age 27)feel real comfortable when we back up the truck full of money to sign him next year and he returns home.

The clock is still ticking.....

There was talk about a month ago that other names were in the Roberts deal than those that were being reported. Hill's name came up at that time along with Dempster. Again....just like Bedard....anybody can be replaced. Hill won 11 games. It's not like the Cubs are replacing an 18 game winner. There are still some free agent pitchers out there that can replace his 11 wins just like we can replace Bedard's 13. The whole problem with this deal is the Cub fans lovefest with DeRosa. If they didn't sign him last year they would have a different attitude.

I didn't mention the fact they may make Dempster a starter again and they still have Marshall......Hill is a key in my opinion.

I predicted weeks ago that Bavasi and AM would get the Bedard deal done because they have known each other for awhile (AM admitted they had discussed a deal prior to the winter meetings which was a couple of months ago) and Hendry and AM are friends and they have discussed this deal for weeks and will probably get this deal done by Tuesday if not tomorrow. I think the Cubs will get Roberts because of all of the hype this deal has received in Chicago. Roberts is probably already at their training facility in Arizona hanging around. The Cubs are going all out to win now.

Hill is replaceable. DeRosa can play different positions in the infield and outfield so he will still have a job. I mentioned Theriot a few days ago and would prefer him at SS over Hernandez and would like him in any Cubs deal. If Gallagher is in instead of Hill we should get Murton and Theriot all three of whom have mlb experience and would be on the opening day roster. Theriot would help replace some of the speed (28 steals in 07)we are losing with Roberts (50 steals in 07) departure. Hill makes $400,000, Theriot makes $390,000 and Murton makes $415,000. Great salaries for us in our rebuild.

Murton's Georgia Tech (age 26)connection along with Wieters will make Teixeira (age 27)feel real comfortable when we back up the truck full of money to sign him next year and he returns home.

The clock is still ticking.....

Hill simply will not be traded for Roberts. There is no chance whatsoever. Hill's name being brought up in trade rumors for Roberts were quickly squashed after they came out. Hendry and Carrie Muskat from cubs.com both said themselves that Hill would not be traded for Roberts. IF Hill was being discussed, it would have only been in a Bedard trade, and maybe that's where the mixup came from.

Hill won 11 games. It's not like the Cubs are replacing an 18 game winner.

Wins is a pretty meaningless stat when determining a pitcher's performance. Zambrano won 18, and Hill has better numbers than him. So yeah, it's very possible they could be losing an 18 game winner for next season

There are still some free agent pitchers out there that can replace his 11

I don't have the exact stat handy and am not sure where to find it, but Hill had some of the lowest run support in the majors last season. The fact that he won only 11 games was out of his control. If he pitches like that next season, he'll win plenty of games. He's a very valuable pitcher, and if Macphail has insisted on Hill in a Roberts trade, the talks would have ended, guaranteed.

Archived